HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » When do you take the keys...

Thu Feb 8, 2018, 08:19 AM

When do you take the keys away?

...looking forward to my first self-driving car, but meanwhile here in the Sunshine State, we see this all to often.

https://www.abcactionnews.com/news/state/98-year-old-wrong-way-driver-kills-2-teens-injures-2-others-in-florida

According to a news release, 98-year-old Walter Roney of Michigan was traveling the wrong way going inside the eastbound lane of State Road 70, Okeechobee Road, when his 1986 RV Mirage collided with a 2013 Chevy Silverado traveling eastbound on State Road 70.

The driver of the Chevy, 17-year-old Santia Myriah Feketa of Fort Pierce, and a passenger, 16-year-old Britney Lee Poindexter of Port St. Lucie, were killed in the crash.

9 replies, 968 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 9 replies Author Time Post
Reply When do you take the keys away? (Original post)
Sancho Feb 2018 OP
Freedomofspeech Feb 2018 #1
unblock Feb 2018 #2
HAB911 Feb 2018 #3
rzemanfl Feb 2018 #7
Siwsan Feb 2018 #4
Dave Starsky Feb 2018 #5
dewsgirl Feb 2018 #6
Blue_Adept Feb 2018 #9
Nitram Feb 2018 #8

Response to Sancho (Original post)

Thu Feb 8, 2018, 08:23 AM

1. Why does a 98 year still have a license?

And driving a RV...where is his family?

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Thu Feb 8, 2018, 08:27 AM

2. I just assumed this was a post about Donnie.

My bad.

Reply to this post

Response to unblock (Reply #2)

Thu Feb 8, 2018, 08:29 AM

3. +++++++++++

Reply to this post

Response to unblock (Reply #2)

Thu Feb 8, 2018, 08:54 AM

7. +1 n/t.

Reply to this post

Thu Feb 8, 2018, 08:39 AM

4. It's a touchy thing.

My Mom had a couple of minor fender benders, that were never "her fault". She was in her early 80's. When we asked her questions about the accidents, she became inappropriately angry. Most of the time she blamed the sun being in her eyes. Then she started insisting that we needed to stop accusing her of having Alzheimer's.

She LOVED to drive. She could make a day out of grocery shopping - going from store to store to find her bargains. It was incredibly difficult dealing with her continuing anger, after we took the keys away, but it was becoming very apparent it wasn't just her declining reflexes that were causing the problem. She constantly threatened to call the police and tell them we stole her car keys.

My advice is for people to avoid rationalizing away even little behavioral changes. We were lucky that these two fender benders, in quick succession, didn't result in any injuries.

Reply to this post

Thu Feb 8, 2018, 08:50 AM

6. This happened about 20 minutes from

My house, it was very sad. My husband and I both have almost got into accidents multiple times, due to older drivers.
I have always strongly believed after the age 75, drivers should be tested annually.
It is a heartbreaking decision, we had to do this with my grandpa when he was 85. He was always so strong and proud, I don't think he ever forgave my dad and my husband, at least him and my grandma were still alive.

Reply to this post

Response to dewsgirl (Reply #6)

Thu Feb 8, 2018, 10:40 AM

9. Annual testing would be easier if there were more DMVs out there

But they keep closing those up all over.

My mother is 78 and is basically just an in-town driver where it's a fairly small 25,000 population. Lots of stuff close within a four mile radius or some such.

But any kind of DMV testing would take us at minimum an hour to get there in larger population areas where she's ~never~ liked to drive.

Reply to this post

Thu Feb 8, 2018, 10:38 AM

8. My 88-year-old mother, who was legally blind, had her driving license renewed at the local DMV.

Someone, I assume a family member, called the DMV to have her license taken away. They did. They give way too much leeway to elderly drivers, especially in rural areas.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread