HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » No matter what the polls ...

Sat May 5, 2018, 09:02 PM

No matter what the polls say, we cannot "normalize" Donald Trump and his fascist ideas...

How much do we want to believe the polls this time around??

Some would say that as people have gotten to know Donald Trump, his poll numbers have gone up? I'm not sure I believe that?

Seeing his ideas in practice, I cannot imagine how many of his supporters would not have second thoughts about supporting such an incompetent moron?

But, I think it is probably wise to not put too much stock in the polls. They have been wrong before, as we well know.

It has become a full-time job just trying to keep up with the lies from this Administration. We must never "normalize" such behavior, as we have seen. The people need to understand and recognize a "con-man" when they see one. A "confidence man" wins your approval and then betrays your trust.

20 replies, 1165 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 20 replies Author Time Post
Reply No matter what the polls say, we cannot "normalize" Donald Trump and his fascist ideas... (Original post)
kentuck May 2018 OP
oberliner May 2018 #1
kentuck May 2018 #3
oberliner May 2018 #4
RKP5637 May 2018 #5
kentuck May 2018 #8
RKP5637 May 2018 #9
Eyeball_Kid May 2018 #2
kentuck May 2018 #6
Loki Liesmith May 2018 #12
janx May 2018 #7
Loki Liesmith May 2018 #11
Loki Liesmith May 2018 #10
Dave Starsky May 2018 #16
Loki Liesmith May 2018 #17
Dave Starsky May 2018 #20
OhioBlue May 2018 #13
Loki Liesmith May 2018 #14
John Fante May 2018 #15
moondust May 2018 #18
Garrett78 May 2018 #19

Response to kentuck (Original post)

Sat May 5, 2018, 09:04 PM

1. It's not just Trump - it's the entire Republican party

Pence would impose all the same fascist policies and probably more.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to oberliner (Reply #1)

Sat May 5, 2018, 09:08 PM

3. Perhaps?

I'm not sure that would be the case? We are talking about real fascists vs right-wing zealots. What's the difference? Do they both disrespect the law equally?

Reply to this post

Response to kentuck (Reply #3)

Sat May 5, 2018, 09:09 PM

4. It's just been sickening watching the Republicans in Congress go along with Trump completely

Along with his sycophantic VP.

Reply to this post

Response to oberliner (Reply #4)

Sat May 5, 2018, 09:12 PM

5. It is. None have the guts to stand up to him and place country above Trump. What a disgusting

lot.

Reply to this post

Response to RKP5637 (Reply #5)

Sat May 5, 2018, 09:14 PM

8. In my opinion, there is one Republican that has been a profile in courage.

That would be Rod Rosenstein.

Reply to this post

Response to kentuck (Reply #8)

Sat May 5, 2018, 09:15 PM

9. Yes, quite true! n/t

Reply to this post

Sat May 5, 2018, 09:05 PM

2. Maybe the polls are being hacked?

Trumpy has done nothing to move the polls upward. It makes no sense. What is he doing that is changing minds in his favor? What exactly?

Reply to this post

Response to Eyeball_Kid (Reply #2)

Sat May 5, 2018, 09:12 PM

6. His poll numbers will probably remain superficially high so long as the economy is doing good?

Eternal vigilance is the price of liberty.

Reply to this post

Response to Eyeball_Kid (Reply #2)

Sat May 5, 2018, 09:31 PM

12. My god listen to yourselves

Do you understand that each poll is a random sample and thereís always a 5% chance any given poll will show an unlikely result. 1/20 polls should look weird.

Average the polls. Look at the average.

Itís pretty stable.

Reply to this post

Sat May 5, 2018, 09:14 PM

7. I don't have a lot of trust in polls.

And I haven't especially since the last presidential election.

Reply to this post

Response to janx (Reply #7)

Sat May 5, 2018, 09:26 PM

11. You should. They were largely right.

Reply to this post

Sat May 5, 2018, 09:26 PM

10. He's been about 10 points underwater for months

He remains about 10 points underwater

Reply to this post

Response to Loki Liesmith (Reply #10)

Sat May 5, 2018, 10:02 PM

16. He has reached a shitty equilibrium.

Every time he says or does something horrible, one more person sitting on the fence is completely grossed out, but then one other, slightly more deplorable, person is like "Hey, that's great!" The two populations just kind of switch in and out depending on what he does or doesn't do on any given day.

Reply to this post

Response to Dave Starsky (Reply #16)

Sat May 5, 2018, 10:09 PM

17. 35% of the people will love him even if he'd molested their kid

The other 6% or so go back and forth with the wind.

It is what it is.

Reply to this post

Response to Loki Liesmith (Reply #17)

Sun May 6, 2018, 11:56 AM

20. Trump could tell that 35% that he's coming to rape their daughters...

And they would leave the front door open and a bucket of KFC on the nightstand for him.

Like I always say, there is always a left end of the bell curve. Twenty-five to 30% of this country can barely manage to not tie their own shoelaces together.

Reply to this post

Sat May 5, 2018, 09:32 PM

13. I think it is part that the economy is still strong and I do fear he is becoming normalized

Every time I think I have hit peak "Trump fatigue", I find another level. I haven't been able to watch even MSNBC lately because it is all Trump, all the time. They cut to his speeches, interrupt to carry his rallies or press briefings, even tho they have panels to discuss how he has contradicted himself or even flat out lied... I can't take even the clips of him.

But, I also do not believe his poll numbers are as high as mid-high forties. I think with elections coming some are just retreating to their political camps which gave him a few points of a bump. That is combined with him being at the higher end of his approval which has always been low 30s to low 40s. The scandals break daily and then just linger which dilutes the news of anything new being revealed about just how awful, corrupt and disgusting he truly is. It is becoming normalized for right wing and right leaning voters - they have come to realize he is not ever going to act dignified nor remove conflicts of interest and they have made their peace with it apparently.

Reply to this post

Response to OhioBlue (Reply #13)

Sat May 5, 2018, 09:35 PM

14. He's been in the low 40s high 30s for months

Donít know why people think thatís changed.

Reply to this post

Sat May 5, 2018, 09:39 PM

15. Gump's support among GOP and GOP-leaning voters has improved. That explains the

slight uptick in his polling average. But if the special elections are any indication, Gump remains a remarkably unpopular president.

Any other POTUS in charge of a nation with no major wars and 3.9% unemployment would have approval ratings well north of 50% right now. The fact that Gump struggles to hit 40% in a lot of polls that aren't named Rasmussen is pathetic.

Reply to this post

Sat May 5, 2018, 10:25 PM

18. Surely the Nobel Committee

would NEVER EVER normalize TheRump by awarding him their Peace Prize. That would be comparable to giving the prize to Hitler for signing the Munich Agreement with Neville Chamberlain.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neville_Chamberlain#Aftermath_and_reception

Reply to this post

Sun May 6, 2018, 11:14 AM

19. There's a danger in denormalizing Trump.

For all the talk about not normalizing Trump, we need to recognize that most of the policies Trump promotes are GOP SOP (standard operating procedure). Post-Trump, the Republican Party will remain the party of Trump.

50 years of Southern Strategy/dog whistling, race-based gerrymandering and voter suppression, a racist "Drug War," xenophobia, a highly effective "liberal media" narrative, an all-out assault on feminism, an all-out assault on public education, anti-intellectualism, jingoism, denying science or getting in bed with those who do, off-the-charts hypocrisy and actively undermining trust in government (via procedural war) has led to this moment. The GOP is Dr. Frankenstein and Trump is their monster.

So, to all of the Republicans who write articles or appear on TV to express their outrage over Trump, look at the blood on your hands. Take responsibility. What, you're bothered (or even surprised) by the influence Putin's Russia is having on Trump and Congressional Republicans? That's a bridge too far? Guess what, Putin's goal of undermining the US government (or the trust in said government) has been your objective, as well. So, congrats, I guess.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread