HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Glare on Southwest highli...

Sun May 6, 2018, 11:11 AM

Glare on Southwest highlights tense relationship between management, mechanics

Reuters May 5, 2018

By Alana Wise and David Shepardson

NEW YORK/WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Federal investigators were assigned last year to monitor Southwest Airlines' maintenance operations, the Federal Aviation Administration said on Friday, after whistleblower complaints of mistreatment of mechanics raised safety concerns.

The agency found no rule violations, it said, and the assignment of additional inspectors was standard practice to preclude any deterioration in maintenance.

The FAA issued a statement on the incident as investigations continue on last month's midair engine fan blade blowout on a Southwest plane that killed a passenger. The two incidents are unrelated.

The FAA, which oversees U.S. civil aviation, investigated Southwest in 2017 after employee reports that airline management had discouraged maintenance workers from reporting mechanical issues.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/glare-southwest-highlights-tense-relationship-between-management-mechanics-104530210--finance.html

1 replies, 556 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 1 replies Author Time Post
Reply Glare on Southwest highlights tense relationship between management, mechanics (Original post)
turbinetree May 2018 OP
stevenleser May 2018 #1

Response to turbinetree (Original post)

Sun May 6, 2018, 11:15 AM

1. I have friends who are pilots for other airlines and they have repeatedly warned me about Southwest

and basically said, there is no way they can charge the prices they charge, make a profit and not cut corners on safety and maintenance.

I was never sure if they said so out of jealousy or competition with another airline or if it was real. I am now definitely leaning toward it being real.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread