HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » my grandfather was called...

Thu May 17, 2018, 05:25 PM

my grandfather was called non-human. my grandfather was called an animal.

my grandfather was an extremely patriotic man. when others moved away in fear, my grandfather stayed.
he was a proud man. he worked hard for his country and he loved his country and he had faith that his country would be kind to him in return.

then one day the government evicted three families of renters in his apartment. they found the three families in two apartment units as two families were living together. with the count of three given to them by the building superintendent, the government left.

when the superintended later saw my grandfather, he was shocked that he was still there. when they realized what happened -- the government never looked into the third unit because they thought they had everyone they were looking for -- the superintended evicted my grandfather on the spot. sorry, but they'll take me away too if they think i'm helping you.

my grandfather took some cash from under a mattress, his wife, and the infant who would one day become my mother, and left. they made a phone call. they stocked up a picnic basket. they took a train trip through many miles to a forest where they laid out their picnic. they didn't eat any of it. they took a walk further into the forest. a car was waiting on the other side. they handed over all their money and were driven to relative safety.

they lived there about a year, during which war broke out. not where they were. they were safe. they thought. but they left for another country anyway. it took many more months, but eventually they got out. only a few weeks later, the country they just left was completely overrun. they narrowly escaped a second time.

finally they made it to america.

everyone who survived that, and their children, and their children's children, swear that this cannot ever happen again.

millions upon millions were slaughtered like pigs.

after being called non-human.
after being called animals.

we.cannot.let.this.happen.here.

13 replies, 2755 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 13 replies Author Time Post
Reply my grandfather was called non-human. my grandfather was called an animal. (Original post)
unblock May 2018 OP
Maeve May 2018 #1
BigmanPigman May 2018 #2
sheshe2 May 2018 #3
Ilsa May 2018 #4
Stonepounder May 2018 #5
Cary May 2018 #6
keithbvadu2 May 2018 #7
unblock May 2018 #9
kimbutgar May 2018 #8
enid602 May 2018 #10
misanthrope May 2018 #11
Kirk Lover May 2018 #12
niyad May 2018 #13

Response to unblock (Original post)

Thu May 17, 2018, 05:27 PM

1. Never again

Thank you for sharing your grandparents' story.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Thu May 17, 2018, 05:56 PM

2. I knew immediately what you were referring to

after reading your first paragraph. Now I have to get a Kleenex. You know the reality and how recently this happened. It CAN happen again and we MUST stay alert and vigilant.

Reply to this post

Thu May 17, 2018, 06:13 PM

3. Thank you for your post, unblock.

I am going to cry now.

Reply to this post

Thu May 17, 2018, 06:21 PM

4. Hutus called Tutsis "cockroaches" and then began an extermination

program. Hartmann talked about this today. 500,000-1,000,000 were killed in this genocide in Rwanda.

The name-calling helped dehumanize the people for maximum violence.

Reply to this post

Thu May 17, 2018, 07:38 PM

5. Dehumanization is the first step.

We didn't fight the North Vietnam Army, we fought the 'gooks'.
We didn't fight the Iraqi Army, we fought the 'rag heads' and the 'towel heads'.

Now Trump is trying to turn immigrants (and unless you are full-blooded Native Americans your ancestors were immigrants) into 'non-humans' and 'animals' just like Nazi Germany did.

THIS SHALL NOT STAND!

Reply to this post

Thu May 17, 2018, 07:38 PM

6. My ancestors left earlier

I'm sure I had relatives who perished. Thank you for your story.

A few years ago I met a lovely woman who was a twin and actually looked into Mengele's eyes. I didn't ask what he did to her or what happened to her sister but just being across a seder table from this woman made the history that I studied at a fairly high level a bit closer to home.

Reply to this post

Thu May 17, 2018, 07:42 PM

7. What country was this? A friend tells a similar story about Ukraine.

Reply to this post

Response to keithbvadu2 (Reply #7)

Thu May 17, 2018, 08:05 PM

9. Austria after the Anschluss. They escaped to Belgium for a year,

Then left after the invasion of Poland and just before hitler turned west. Made it to England, then to America

Reply to this post

Thu May 17, 2018, 07:54 PM

8. My Dad grew up in SF and had neighbors in the western addition who were Japanese

He used to play with the son Ken. Then they got got orders to leave for the internment camps. They asked my Grandfather if they could leave some boxes at his flat. They sat in a corner at my Grandfathers place for 3 years when they finally retrieved it. I learned about this at an early age and I canít believe this is happening in my country. My Dad said the white people he knew ( we are black) used to call Japanese people ( j@p dogs). While in the camp his friend learned how to repair cars and after world war 2 he repaired cars for a living. Every car we ever owned he repaired. My Dad used to say Ken was the most bravest man he ever met.

Reply to this post

Thu May 17, 2018, 08:33 PM

10. Kushner

You know, this story could have been written by Jared Kushner's grandmother. Her story is powerful, and can be found on the net. Yet bravery and goodness seem to have skipped a couple of generations in that family.

Reply to this post

Response to enid602 (Reply #10)

Thu May 17, 2018, 09:22 PM

11. Well, they came to America and fell susceptible to the official ethos

where "greed" is the state religion, "materialism" its Golden Rule and "poverty" its original sin.

Reply to this post

Thu May 17, 2018, 09:29 PM

12. My grandfather was deported. nt

Reply to this post

Fri May 18, 2018, 02:21 PM

13. a heartsick k and r

Reply to this post