HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » America's Presidents, Ran...

Tue May 29, 2018, 01:51 PM

America's Presidents, Ranked

Trump is making Buchanan look competent https://www.motherjones.com/kevin-drum/2018/05/americas-presidents-ranked/

Thereís a new poll of presidential experts out that ranks our nationís chief executives, and Lincoln leads the list with an average rating of 95.03 out of 100. William Henry Harrison got a score of 19.02. I decided to rescale the whole thing going from 0 to 100, with Lincoln on top at Harrison at zero, since, letís face it, Harrison is sort of zero by definition, right? Besides, I think it also more accurately represents the bottom of the range too.

9 replies, 1145 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 9 replies Author Time Post
Reply America's Presidents, Ranked (Original post)
Gothmog May 2018 OP
Gothmog May 2018 #1
muriel_volestrangler May 2018 #4
muriel_volestrangler May 2018 #6
Gothmog May 2018 #7
inanna May 2018 #2
Iliyah May 2018 #3
bearsfootball516 May 2018 #5
Glorfindel May 2018 #8
rock May 2018 #9

Response to Gothmog (Original post)

Tue May 29, 2018, 01:55 PM

1. Trump does not do well even with conservatives

This from the study https://sps.boisestate.edu/politicalscience/files/2018/02/Greatness.pdf

The rankings generated by Republicans and those who self-identified as eitherc onservative or somewhat conservative had greater differences from the overall list, however. Republicans were significantly less favorable to Barack Obama, rating him 16th, as well as to Lyndon Johnson (19th), James Madison (22nd), John F. Kennedy (24th), and Jimmy Carter (32nd). They were considerably more favorably disposed to William McKinley (9th), George H.W. Bush (11th), James Polk (13th), William Howard Taft (14th), Calvin Coolidge (21st), George W. Bush (23rd), Herbert Hoover (30th), and Martin Van Buren (33rd). Self-identified conservatives and somewhat conservatives are largely the same population and thus generally consistent with the Republican pattern, though that group is also unfavorably disposed to Woodrow Wilson, dropping him from 12th place to 21st , and Ulysses S. Grant (down to 27th), but more favorable to James Monroe, moving him up from 18th overall to 12th. Both groups are somewhat more favorable, though not overwhelmingly so, to Donald Trump, ranking him 40th in each case, compared to the overall ranking of 44th.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Gothmog (Reply #1)

Tue May 29, 2018, 02:00 PM

4. Sing it with me: "Don't know what you've got till it's gone ..."

After these first seven places, however, there are several significant changes from 2014. Barack Obama now occupies the 8th slot (71.13), up ten places from 2014.

Reply to this post

Response to Gothmog (Reply #1)

Tue May 29, 2018, 02:05 PM

6. I just noticed - conservatives ranked GW Bush above Kennedy???

That's outrageous.

Reply to this post

Response to muriel_volestrangler (Reply #6)

Tue May 29, 2018, 02:40 PM

7. They are crazy

Reply to this post

Tue May 29, 2018, 01:56 PM

2. The Shitler ain't gonna like this!

Reply to this post

Tue May 29, 2018, 01:59 PM

3. LOL, and I bet t-rump talks to himself via mirror of how

wonderful he is . . .

Reply to this post

Tue May 29, 2018, 02:01 PM

5. History is not going to remember Trump fondly.

When it's all said and done, there won't be a single credible political ranking that doesn't have him in the bottom 3 or 5.

Reply to this post

Tue May 29, 2018, 02:48 PM

8. It hardly seems fair to rank W. H. Harrison and James A. Garfield at all

They were both in office for such a short time, and Garfield spent most of his time in office dying, slowly and excruciatingly. Having said that, the list looks pretty good to me, though I'd rate Reagan much lower. Maybe swap places with Reagan and Polk. Thanks for a very interesting post, Gothmog!

Reply to this post

Tue May 29, 2018, 03:47 PM

9. All in all

I find the graph reasonable and fairly accurate.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread