HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » After over 40 years of vo...

Thu Jul 26, 2018, 08:38 PM

After over 40 years of voting I have switched from registered Independent to Democrat

As a liberal / progressive I have always voted for the democratic candidate. However I have always been a registered independent on the principle that political parties are like organized religion; a preset doctrine designed to relieve people from the burden of thinking. I have always agreed with Nietzsche’s statement; “He who thinks a great deal is not suited to be a party man: he thinks his way through the party and out the other side too soon.”

However the very survival of our constitutional republic is in serious jeopardy due to the Republican Party’s abandonment of patriotism and decency, and its’ embrace of jingoism and bigotry. We are headed in the direction of Russia, technically a constitutional republic but in reality a dictatorship. The Democratic party, for all its’ flaws, is the only hope we have of maintaining the supremacy of the constitution. So as long as the current crisis continues I will belong to the Democratic party. It is a choice of “join or die”.

P.S;
After Trump is gone and democracy is restored, I go back to being an independent.

2 replies, 586 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 2 replies Author Time Post
Reply After over 40 years of voting I have switched from registered Independent to Democrat (Original post)
jg10003 Jul 2018 OP
Control-Z Jul 2018 #1
KPN Jul 2018 #2

Response to jg10003 (Original post)

Thu Jul 26, 2018, 08:41 PM

1. Welcome to the Democratic party, jg10003!

Thank you for the thoughtful decision.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to jg10003 (Original post)

Thu Jul 26, 2018, 09:01 PM

2. Awesome. Hallelujah and Amen from

another organized religion skeptic.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread