HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Bernie Sanders Congratula...

Tue Oct 2, 2018, 03:18 PM

Bernie Sanders Congratulates Jeff Bezos For Taking His Advice - Huff Post

WASHINGTON ― Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.) congratulated Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos on Tuesday for announcing he would raise wages to $15 per hour for all Amazon employees.

Since August, Sanders had waged an aggressive shame campaign against the company, the second largest employer in the United States, for paying wages low enough that some workers qualify for safety net benefits such as food stamps.

“It is no secret that I have been a harsh critic of the wage and employment practices of Amazon and its owner Jeff Bezos,” Sanders said in a statement, essentially a declaration of victory.

“Today I want to give credit where credit is due,” he said. “And I want to congratulate Mr. Bezos for doing exactly the right thing.”

Amazon said in a press release Tuesday that more than 250,000 of its half a million workers would benefit from the wage increase, which would take effect in November.

“We listened to our critics, thought hard about what we wanted to do, and decided we want to lead,” Bezos said. “We’re excited about this change and encourage our competitors and other large employers to join us.”

[link:https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/bernie-sanders-jeff-bezos-amazon-wages_us_5bb37f8ae4b0ba8bb2114469|]

7 replies, 620 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 7 replies Author Time Post
Reply Bernie Sanders Congratulates Jeff Bezos For Taking His Advice - Huff Post (Original post)
Power 2 the People Oct 2018 OP
msongs Oct 2018 #1
skylucy Oct 2018 #2
Power 2 the People Oct 2018 #3
ornotna Oct 2018 #4
Power 2 the People Oct 2018 #6
Donkees Oct 2018 #5
Power 2 the People Oct 2018 #7

Response to Power 2 the People (Original post)

Tue Oct 2, 2018, 03:19 PM

1. the purpose of the raise is to head off efforts to unionize nt

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to msongs (Reply #1)

Tue Oct 2, 2018, 03:30 PM

2. Yep. You are correct. Many years ago my husband was a union organizer. I remember

one of companies he was attempting to organize, told their workers they wanted to give them a raise, but they couldn't because the union organizer would file an unfair labor practice for doing it during the union organizing campaign. My husband put it in writing that he would NOT file any unfair labor practice charges against the company if they gave workers a raise during the campaign. He told the company to PLEASE go ahead and the give workers a raise--- Of course, the company didn't take him up on it because they were just full of ****.

Reply to this post

Response to msongs (Reply #1)

Tue Oct 2, 2018, 03:33 PM

3. You could be right but setting a wage floor benefits workers now and it is greatly needed.

The fight to unionize will still go on as planned. And it will eventually succeed.

Reply to this post

Tue Oct 2, 2018, 03:51 PM

4. Good news

But that headline is a bit misleading. He congratulated him on doing "the right thing."

Reply to this post

Response to ornotna (Reply #4)

Tue Oct 2, 2018, 03:57 PM

6. I didn't want to change the Huff Post headline but I agree

Bernie is a gentleman and knows any victory against corporate behemoths is a shared one.

Reply to this post

Tue Oct 2, 2018, 03:53 PM

5. ''Thank you, Senator Sanders''

Reply to this post

Response to Donkees (Reply #5)

Tue Oct 2, 2018, 03:58 PM

7. Thank you Donkees for this follow up!

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread