HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Hmmmm...What's the differ...

Tue Oct 9, 2018, 11:47 PM

Hmmmm...What's the difference between these two athletes??

What a coincidence … nearly: Seahawks linebacker Mychal Kendricks last week pleaded guilty to insider trading and was indefinitely suspended by the NFL.He faces up to 25 years in prison.

Kendricks’ take in the scheme was reported to have been $1.2 million.

Fascinating. In a very similar insider trading case, Phil Mickelson, judged to have made a dirty million dollars, was neither indicted nor prosecuted. He was merely ordered by the SEC to pay back his take to the government, plus interest, a total just shy of $1.2 million.

4 replies, 998 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 4 replies Author Time Post
Reply Hmmmm...What's the difference between these two athletes?? (Original post)
Power 2 the People Oct 2018 OP
Iggo Oct 2018 #1
MadDAsHell Oct 2018 #2
Power 2 the People Oct 2018 #3
John1956PA Oct 2018 #4

Response to Power 2 the People (Original post)

Wed Oct 10, 2018, 12:01 AM

1. I'm willing to bet it's melanin. (n/t)

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Wed Oct 10, 2018, 12:06 AM

2. Uh, one pleaded guilty, the other was investigated and "no evidence found."

I’m assuming that’s the difference you’re referring to?

I know racism is a much better headline to get clicks, but the two cases aren’t even remotely alike. Have you actually read the details of either?

Reply to this post

Response to MadDAsHell (Reply #2)

Wed Oct 10, 2018, 12:14 AM

3. No evidence found? He was guilty as hell.

Why did he have to pay back his ill gotten gains with interest?

The SEC reached an agreement with Mickelson for him to refund the money, likely in exchange for not bringing criminal charges against him and also for his stipulated testimony on repaying a gambling debt of $1.95 Million to professional gambler Billy Walters.

The last sentence of the the article sums it up:

The game of insider trading goes on with two sets of rules: one of self-officiating for the country-club crowd who know how to play the game and one of constant control for the gridiron ruffians who are just learning.

https://medium.com/@sgdarby/the-selective-enforcement-commission-insider-trading-from-the-outside-mychal-kendricks-and-phil-25adca4d022

Reply to this post

Wed Oct 10, 2018, 05:18 AM

4. Thanks for posting. I was unaware of Mickelson's brush with trading on insider information.

I found a well written June 2017 Jeffrey Toobin article at https://www.golfdigest.com/story/phils-insider-trading-escape .

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread