HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Trump wants to close inte...

Wed Mar 13, 2019, 05:35 PM

Trump wants to close international immigration offices. The ramifications are huge.

https://thinkprogress.org/uscsis-closures-impact-adoptions-family-reunification-4e4d2fe73754/

Trump wants to close international immigration offices. The ramifications are huge.
Sacrificing human rights for the sake of "efficiency."
Rebekah Entralgo
Mar 13, 2019, 1:46 pm

U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) announced Tuesday that it plans to shutter all of its 23 field offices across 20 countries in an effort to save money and resources. The administration’s goal of cost-cutting, however, could have real life ramifications for refugee processing and foreign nationals in urgent need of humanitarian parole.

Overseas USCIS field offices play a crucial role in refugee applications, family reunification visas and foreign adoptions, in addition to other responsibilities like processing naturalization documents for military members who marry foreign nationals. Under this potential change, the work of international USCIS field offices would be divvied up among the State Department, embassies and consulates, and the agency’s domestic offices.

snip//

Until the shift in responsibilities is formally implemented, families and individuals who rely on the international offices will likely face significant delays in requests. Families adopting from overseas may have to wait longer to bring their child home, as would someone who needs to urgently enter the United States on the basis of a humanitarian crisis. According to a 2008 report by the U.S. Government Accountability Office, humanitarian parole cases are used when a foreign national is unable to obtain a visa for whatever reason, and are rarely granted except in the case of an absolute emergency or urgent family reunification. One example of humanitarian parole that is granted is for foreign nationals who could serve as the donor of a family member dying in the United States.

Currently, there is no detailed plan on how this policy change would be implemented. It isn’t known, for example, if it is even legal for the State Department to assume some of the responsibilities of the Department of Homeland Security, which oversees USCIS. It also isn’t known how much this move would cost.

“I’m worried this just another example of the Trump administration making a decision first and then dealing with the consequences later,” Jaddou said. “The family separation policy was a huge policy change. We have government report after government report that shows there was no planning. The people who were supposed to implement it didn’t know about it until it went public. The consequences were detrimental.”

News of the impending USCIS closures comes the same week as the 2020 budget proposal, which included an “immigration services surcharge.” The fee increase would add an estimated 10 percent to immigration form filing fees. According to the budget, these fees are necessary to go towards “deficit reduction,” despite the fact that the fees would be just a drop in the bucket compared to the $31 trillion the budget estimates the deficit will reach within the next decade.

3 replies, 659 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 3 replies Author Time Post
Reply Trump wants to close international immigration offices. The ramifications are huge. (Original post)
babylonsister Mar 2019 OP
elleng Mar 2019 #1
Chin music Mar 2019 #2
trixie2 Mar 2019 #3

Response to babylonsister (Original post)

Wed Mar 13, 2019, 05:41 PM

1. 'Cost-cutting' b.s.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Wed Mar 13, 2019, 05:59 PM

2. Never a creator, always a destroyer. And acts like he's busy working.

"I smashed the shit out of a china shop I didn't own today, it was tough work. I had to do some work though."
I get the impression he thinks he's JUST as smart as the person who creates all these things, when he breaks them. Clearly, he's not. Good news is his successor will be able to re-imagine the state Dept. and re-hire people and fire the nit wits he chose to install...which, so far, are very few.

Reply to this post

Wed Mar 13, 2019, 06:15 PM

3. Here we go............

No one can get in and we won't be able to get out.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread