HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » How Mitch McConnell -- an...

Sat Jun 29, 2019, 07:10 PM

How Mitch McConnell -- and all White people -- benefit from White supremacy at the expense of our

How Mitch McConnell and all White people benefit from White supremacy at the expense of our Black neighbors

"I don't think reparations for something that happened 150 years ago for whom none of us currently living are responsible is a good idea," Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell told reporters last week, as House Democrats prepared the first-ever hearing on the subject. (Detroit Rep. Rashida Tlaib was a co-sponsor of H.R.40: The Commission to Study and Develop Reparation Proposals for African-Americans Act.) "We've tried to deal with our original sin of slavery by fighting a civil war, by passing landmark civil rights legislation. We elected an African American president," McConnell said.

Ignore how much work the word we is doing in that sentence as if McConnell hadn't spent his career fighting civil rights and literally breaking the Senate to weaken Barack Obama. Ignore, too, at least for now, the question of how reparations would work.

Instead, focus on the most important phrase in the quote, the one conservatives have been using to shift blame away from institutions to individuals who have long since been worm food: "for whom none of us currently living are responsible."

It would take more space than I have to demonstrate all the ways in which this statement is profoundly ahistorical and intentionally misleading. But let's start with the basics: Freed slaves were promised 40 acres and a mule; they didn't get it. During Reconstruction, they were promised political power; White supremacists stole that, then violently subjugated them under under Jim Crow. African Americans were denied access to jobs and economic and educational opportunities; Black children were segregated into dilapidated schools. During the New Deal and in the postwar era, the federal government actively prevented African Americans from obtaining mortgages, effectively blocking them from building equity and passing along generational wealth to their descendants.

Read more: https://www.metrotimes.com/detroit/how-mitch-mcconnell-and-every-other-white-person-has-benefited-from-white-supremacy-at-the-expense-of-our-black-neighbors/Content?oid=21981457

6 replies, 646 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 6 replies Author Time Post
Reply How Mitch McConnell -- and all White people -- benefit from White supremacy at the expense of our (Original post)
TexasTowelie Jun 2019 OP
RHMerriman Jun 2019 #1
WhiskeyGrinder Jun 2019 #2
guillaumeb Jun 2019 #3
wasupaloopa Jun 2019 #4
angstlessk Jun 2019 #6
sheshe2 Jun 2019 #5

Response to TexasTowelie (Original post)

Sat Jun 29, 2019, 07:16 PM

1. Sins of the fathers?

Sins of the fathers?

Okay. Good plan.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Sat Jun 29, 2019, 07:21 PM

2. K&R

Reply to this post

Sat Jun 29, 2019, 07:44 PM

3. Recommended.

McConnell has built his career on appeasing racists, and calling out to racists. He has also built his career on financially benefitting from his insider position, as has his wife.

Reply to this post

Sat Jun 29, 2019, 07:57 PM

4. Where is the part where I benefit from White

Supremacy?

I have never supported White Supremacy in my entire 73 years.

But I am sure someone will show me where I am ignorant of the facts

Reply to this post

Response to wasupaloopa (Reply #4)

Sun Jun 30, 2019, 08:08 AM

6. Try being black for a year,

then you will have your answer.

Reply to this post

Sat Jun 29, 2019, 08:00 PM

5. Fact.

White supremacy has never left. And until we fully reckon with it, it never will.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread