HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » An answer to this questio...

Tue Jul 30, 2019, 06:23 PM

An answer to this question may help convince those skeptical of Medicare for all.

One thing I have been wondering about and have yet to see addressed is; what happens to the money currently being contributed by employers to purchase health care for employees. I would think that this money if added to an employees paychecks would be a win win for both employers and workers. It would cut administrative costs, reduce issues in labor negotiations for those with union shops and increase pay for workers. It's complicated of course as I think it's unlikely that we can require companies to hand back these funds to employees. I know when I was working the cost of my employers share for my insurance was around $500 bucks a month. That's a good chunk of change to put in peoples pockets.

4 replies, 553 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 4 replies Author Time Post
Reply An answer to this question may help convince those skeptical of Medicare for all. (Original post)
The empressof all Jul 2019 OP
Wounded Bear Jul 2019 #1
tirebiter Jul 2019 #2
Hoyt Jul 2019 #3
forthemiddle Jul 2019 #4

Response to The empressof all (Original post)

Tue Jul 30, 2019, 06:27 PM

1. It's a good question, but it tends to get lost in the weeds...

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Tue Jul 30, 2019, 06:34 PM

2. Pay is another variable

Govt workers have up until recently gotten great benefits to make up for lousy pay. Once thatís removed itíll get messy. Disruption is not what weíre looking for. Thatís Just more Trump legacy.

Reply to this post

Tue Jul 30, 2019, 06:37 PM

3. Most of the candidates already have dibs on taxing employers to fund M4A.

Supposedly, there would be some money left over for pay increases, but I wouldnít spend it yet. If Congress starts drawing up legislation as better financial projections come in, you can bet that employer tax and taxes on individuals will increase over what is being bandied about now.

Reply to this post

Tue Jul 30, 2019, 06:42 PM

4. I doubt it

I donít take my company insurance because I get better coverage through my husband, but I donít make any more money than those that do take the insurance.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread