HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » For my dearest soft-spoke...

Wed Dec 11, 2019, 12:18 PM

For my dearest soft-spoken, female friends: Mini-megaphones on keychains.

Nothing's quite inspired me to the spirit of giving like the witnesses I saw at the Impeachment hearings. Nothing. The ideas were there in the back of my head- how can I show my appreciation and high regard, my admiration & love to these women friends of mine? I'm talking about women as precise and gifted at speaking as Marie Yovanovitch and Fiona Hill. And the insane number of times they've been interrupted & shouted over by shrill men with booming or grating, loud voices. The Jim-fucking-Jordans.

Each bag I'm putting this in is going to be pink, & labeled "Feminine Protection". I'm adding pepper spray, a referee's whistle, and a pink knitted pussy-hat to each bag.

I never knew about mini megaphones, though, keychain sized! They run about $10 to $14. You can tell I'm extra- excited about that, can't you? Being constantly interrupted/shouted over by the Jim-fucking-Jordans of the world has been the bane of my (and my friends') existence. One of my greatest fantasies is a calm, purposeful female voice delivering articulate 100 decibel coolness and authority over the loud yakking. It may be the only thing that works.

8 replies, 928 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 8 replies Author Time Post
Reply For my dearest soft-spoken, female friends: Mini-megaphones on keychains. (Original post)
Sugar Smack Dec 2019 OP
Peregrine Took Dec 2019 #1
Sugar Smack Dec 2019 #3
csziggy Dec 2019 #4
Sugar Smack Dec 2019 #6
Kali Dec 2019 #2
Sugar Smack Dec 2019 #5
Kali Dec 2019 #7
Sugar Smack Dec 2019 #8

Response to Sugar Smack (Original post)

Wed Dec 11, 2019, 12:51 PM

1. Even on a non-political front - I'm a soft spoken woman and 'often

get "talked over" or just ignored in groups.
I have super sensitive hearing and my voice sounds fine to me but others rarely pick it up. Frustrating.
(Like the "soft talker" on Seinfeld.)
One of these mini megaphones might be just what I need!!

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Peregrine Took (Reply #1)

Wed Dec 11, 2019, 01:31 PM

3. On a non-political front, it can be exactly as useful.

I'm soft-spoken like you. The frustration builds when you inhale to speak, just once. Forced to listen to dysfunctional conjunctions & never-ending sentences. You feel run over & wonder if you're wasting your precious time. Wouldn't it be fun (say) at dinner, to calmly take the megaphone out of your pocket and ask, "May I respond?"

Reply to this post

Response to Peregrine Took (Reply #1)

Wed Dec 11, 2019, 01:32 PM

4. I am soft spoken, too - most of the time

Working around horses, a soft voice is better for calming - but there are times when a loud voice is also needed, so I have a loud voice when needed.

What works best is what I call a "command voice" - not necessarily loud but a voice that does not broker argument. Some call it a "Mom voice" - it's that tone that you dare not disobey.

Reply to this post

Response to csziggy (Reply #4)

Wed Dec 11, 2019, 02:24 PM

6. You're not going to get a lot of arguments from a horse ;)

I like the fact that you're able to employ different voices without shouting. I have a "Mom voice" too once in a while. The rest of the time, I feel acutely as if I'm yelling (which sometimes unintentionally brokers argument).

When I get talked over I eventually stop listening. The only things I've ever really learned from people were delivered in a reasonable, indoor voice.

Reply to this post

Wed Dec 11, 2019, 01:25 PM

2. as a loud-mouthed, physically-strong old broad, I never had that problem

of course I have experienced tons of lack of respect and ignoring of my contributions/thoughts/ideas but never had the unheard, soft spoken problem. LOL

still, I do like the symbolic aspect of your Female Protection kit.

Reply to this post

Response to Kali (Reply #2)

Wed Dec 11, 2019, 01:47 PM

5. I'm lucky & pleased to also have friends like you.

I've told my louder women friends about the megaphone (I'm getting one for me, too) and they love it. They'll be able to hear me in a group now (LOL). I'm a short, physically-strong old broad, too. But so often confused for a timid creature. Oddly enough, since I turned 50 this year, I feel a tad freer to shout. Thanks for the words about what each thing represents. I want to tell all these women I want them safe, and their voices heard. And their heads warm.

Reply to this post

Response to Sugar Smack (Reply #5)

Wed Dec 11, 2019, 03:33 PM

7. too bad it is often only age that finally allows some to begin disregarding the life-training

to appear meek and quiet

Reply to this post

Wed Dec 11, 2019, 09:16 PM

8. Watching the live inquiry.

Wishing I could get a Mini- megaphone for every one of US.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread