HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Why is the concept of "we...

Wed Mar 18, 2020, 11:25 AM

Why is the concept of "we over me" so challenging for some? I've read very snarky and

quite frankly, ignorant FB postings from family members. Verbal eye rolling about precautionary measures.

I am A FB coward. I read, lurk and rarely post but donít have the courage to cancel.

12 replies, 599 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 12 replies Author Time Post
Reply Why is the concept of "we over me" so challenging for some? I've read very snarky and (Original post)
Ninga Mar 2020 OP
NRaleighLiberal Mar 2020 #1
Sucha NastyWoman Mar 2020 #2
safeinOhio Mar 2020 #3
Coventina Mar 2020 #4
Ninga Mar 2020 #5
PBC_Democrat Mar 2020 #6
procon Mar 2020 #7
Ninga Mar 2020 #9
procon Mar 2020 #12
WyattKansas Mar 2020 #8
milestogo Mar 2020 #10
Ninga Mar 2020 #11

Response to Ninga (Original post)

Wed Mar 18, 2020, 11:36 AM

1. hypocrisy. it can run deep.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Wed Mar 18, 2020, 11:36 AM

2. When children ask what is the difference between Democrats and Republicans

This needs to be a big part of the answer.

Reply to this post

Wed Mar 18, 2020, 11:49 AM

3. Wait until it hits one of them.

You can be polite and not remind them.

Reply to this post

Wed Mar 18, 2020, 11:50 AM

4. Dump facebook. n/t

Reply to this post

Response to Coventina (Reply #4)

Wed Mar 18, 2020, 11:54 AM

5. I know I know I know.....

Reply to this post

Wed Mar 18, 2020, 12:06 PM

6. Participation Trophies ...

Not keeping score, safe spaces, trigger warnings,

EQUALS

an entitled generation not used to sacrifice.

Reply to this post

Wed Mar 18, 2020, 12:11 PM

7. Is selfishness an innate or learned behavior?

Selfishness, like many negative trait (hate, for one) is a learned behavior, not instinctive. We, or at least some of us humans, are very selfish people who are quite willing to hurt others while bulldozing a bloody swath through the crowd to get what they want.

Selfish individuals are emotional tyrants, just look at Trump, a shallow, ignorant man who only sees other people in terms of how they can be exploited and manipulated to serve his needs. He is uncaring and has no sympathy for the needs of anyone but himself.

Narcissism goes hand in hand with selfishness, painting a familiar picture of a man with a serious emotional deficit and a lack of self-worth. Trump will never see past his own wants and needs. Perhaps if we are lucky maybe a few of his self preservation plots might coincide with the needs of rest of us.

Reply to this post

Response to procon (Reply #7)

Wed Mar 18, 2020, 12:48 PM

9. The 40 and 50 somethings in our family have no idea what it is to sacrifice, be called to serve,

or do without.

Their arrogance is stunning and a sad eye opener for me. I call them the know-it-allís who know nothing.

Reply to this post

Response to Ninga (Reply #9)

Wed Mar 18, 2020, 01:11 PM

12. Yeah, I can see that in my family relatives too.

The got theirs so to hell with everyone else. One niece actually goes out of her way to demean and humiliate panhandlers and homeless people. I had to confront her to get her to stop berating an old lady asking for food outside a grocery store. She wasn't after money, just something to eat, and it didn't hurt me to give her a can of soup and a banana, but my niece went whako.

I told her I would never invite her to go shopping with me again if she couldn't keep a civil tongue in her mouth. I was so angry at her behavior I told her to just shut the fuck up and mind her own damned business. I shocked her and she blurted out an grudging apology. She also apologized to me and agreed to be silent if we passed folks looking for a handout.

And yes, she is a Faux Noise watching, Trump loving Republican. We do not discuss anything political, but she is pleasant company in most other aspects.

Reply to this post

Wed Mar 18, 2020, 12:41 PM

8. Because this country's policy has been that greed is good the last 40 years.

Unregulated capitalism is showing everyone that capitalism being the bottom line for everything wasn't such a good idea after all. That happens when civics and community are dropped in favor being the richest compared to others.

Reply to this post

Wed Mar 18, 2020, 12:52 PM

10. If you've never been deeply attached to an elderly person, maybe you don't get it.

My parents have passed away, but if they were alive I would be terrified for their health and safety.

I can't imagine how frightening it must be to be afraid of dying if you go to the grocery store.

Reply to this post

Response to milestogo (Reply #10)

Wed Mar 18, 2020, 12:56 PM

11. Yes, of course. But then it would require people to think of "we" instead of "me". Sadly

stupidity reigns.

I so want to post on my wall....

ďDonít tell me what you think, tell me what you know.Ē

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread