HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Biden, Speaking to Nation...

Sat Aug 29, 2020, 07:53 PM

Biden, Speaking to National Guard Group, Takes Aim at Republican Criticism on Crime

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/29/us/politics/biden-trump-crime.html

After a Republican National Convention week in which President Trump and his allies sought to brand Joseph R. Biden Jr. as radically anti-law enforcement, the Democratic nominee took implicit aim at that characterization in his own remarks on Saturday as he swiped at Mr. Trump’s calls for “law and order” and ripped the president’s record as commander in chief.

Mr. Biden’s comments came at a virtual gathering of the National Guard Association of the United States, a group he addressed while speaking against a backdrop of American flags, with a flag pin affixed to his suit lapel.

Civil and military relations have been “tested lately,” Mr. Biden argued, alluding to Mr. Trump’s efforts earlier this summer to use federal law enforcement to “dominate” demonstrators protesting police brutality amid a national outcry over racial injustice. Republicans in recent days have seized on renewed unrest in American cities to argue falsely that Mr. Biden wants to defund the police, an approach he opposes.

“I promise you, as president, I’ll never put you in the middle of politics, or personal vendettas,” Mr. Biden said. “I’ll never use the military as a prop or as a private militia to violate rights of fellow citizens. That’s not law and order. You don’t deserve that.”

*snip*

3 replies, 341 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 3 replies Author Time Post
Reply Biden, Speaking to National Guard Group, Takes Aim at Republican Criticism on Crime (Original post)
Nevilledog Aug 2020 OP
SheltieLover Aug 2020 #1
Cha Aug 2020 #2
dchill Aug 2020 #3

Response to Nevilledog (Original post)

Sat Aug 29, 2020, 07:56 PM

1. Joe has integrity

Something shitstain could never comprehend, let alone aspire to!

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Sat Aug 29, 2020, 07:58 PM

2. Thank You, Joe Biden.. WE Have to Get Rid of Putin's PUPPET.

Reply to this post

Sat Aug 29, 2020, 08:00 PM

3. Very strong rejoinder to Trump's jingoistic clusterbombs.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread