HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » R.I.P. Helen Reddy (I Am ...

Wed Sep 30, 2020, 08:34 AM

R.I.P. Helen Reddy (I Am Woman)

You tube has a good video of Helen Reddy singing I Am Woman on stage in 1971. I could not get a link that would work. If anyone else can, please add it to this thread.

That song gave me inspiration and courage at a time in my life when I badly needed it. Just watching the video and hearing those meaningful words today brought tears to my eyes, remembering how much it meant to me then and how much my life has changed since then.

R.I.P Ms. Reddy. And thank you.

5 replies, 270 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 5 replies Author Time Post
Reply R.I.P. Helen Reddy (I Am Woman) (Original post)
wnylib Sep 30 OP
handmade34 Sep 30 #1
wnylib Sep 30 #4
LineNew Reply .
Laelth Sep 30 #2
wnylib Sep 30 #5
llmart Sep 30 #3

Response to wnylib (Original post)

Wed Sep 30, 2020, 08:39 AM

1. ...

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to handmade34 (Reply #1)

Wed Sep 30, 2020, 08:48 AM

4. Yes, that's the one. Thank you.

Reply to this post

Wed Sep 30, 2020, 08:40 AM

2. .

We were poor, and I was young. We lived in Western Maryland—in the mountains, and my guardians had exactly three 8-track tapes that I heard over and over. One of them was Helen Reddy’s Greatest Hits.

She made the world a more beautiful place, and her music probably had a greater effect on me than I can consciously comprehend.

Thank you, Helen.

-Laelth

Reply to this post

Response to Laelth (Reply #2)

Wed Sep 30, 2020, 08:57 AM

5. The power of music and of words

combined together to influence people's lives should not be underestimated. Makes me wish I had the skill to write lyrics and the voice to sing them.

But, alas, my singing voice is better suited to mime.

Reply to this post

Wed Sep 30, 2020, 08:42 AM

3. I had that album.

I still listen to her music. That song was the Second Wave's theme song. It gave me courage also.

I did not know that she had passed away yesterday because I tried to stay away from new yesterday.

I am going to listen to that album right now and hopefully my ballot will come in today's mail and I can vote knowing that there are still many misogynists out there who would gladly take my right to vote away from me, along with other rights.

RIP Ms. Reddy.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread