HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Great post from one of my...

Wed Sep 30, 2020, 11:29 AM

Great post from one of my Realtor buds last night...to his younger friends

To my younger friendsó
Itís never been like this. Iíve watched pretty much every one of these since the mid-70s, and (with the possible exception of 2016) itís always been about issues, ideas, iron-sharpening-iron sparring between more or less equally trained, equally tested, equally matched opponents. You may not have agreed with them, but you had some degree of respect for them because they had some degree of respect for each other, and because their ideas came from a place of thoughtfulness and love of country.
Two things:
1. Trump is a function of a scared, grasping, gasping majority that for three centuries has at least tacitly endorsed the bestial marriage of white supremacism, rugged individualism, and divinely blessed exceptionalism thatís run its course, thatís finally and mercifully come to the very end of its power and relevance. Part I of this horrendous epilogue was Obamaís presidency. This is Part II, and it is the death throes. Itís like watching lobsters when they start to realize the water is boiling. This is when the terrible truth is laid bare, and we reel, because with our own waking eyes we see the sheer anger and bitterness and ugliness of our fellow Americans, masked in rationalization and obfuscation and whataboutism. They canít accept the truth of their own depravity, so they invest themselves in, they give themselves completely over to, lies and the lying liars who lie to them. And their time is done.
2. As a whole, Americans, paradoxically, are deeply good people. We seem to learn from our mistakes. Sometimes it takes a while. And when we fall, we are strangely self-righting. In the grand history of American presidents, Trump is a blip. One or two have been more crooked than others, but this one is in a category completely by himself. As George W. Bush wisely said, ďThere's an old saying in Tennessee ó I know it's in Texas, probably in Tennessee ó that says, fool me once, shame on ó shame on you. Fool me ó you can't get fooled again.Ē I couldnít have said it better myself. (Miss you, W.)
So pleaseódonít lose heart. As dystopian as things may seem right now (and who knows, maybe things will get even *more* nuts in the next few months), we are going to make it. You are going to look back on this and tell your kids about how close you came to losing faith in America... and how America ended up surprising the hell out of you.

5 replies, 892 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 5 replies Author Time Post
Reply Great post from one of my Realtor buds last night...to his younger friends (Original post)
Sedona Sep 30 OP
MaryMagdaline Sep 30 #1
CaliforniaPeggy Sep 30 #2
intrepidity Sep 30 #3
Olafjoy Sep 30 #4
llmart Sep 30 #5

Response to Sedona (Original post)

Wed Sep 30, 2020, 11:31 AM

1. Extremely well said

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Wed Sep 30, 2020, 11:32 AM

2. I couldn't agree more, my dear Sedona!

It's a great overview of our immediate environment.

He has to go. PERIOD.

Reply to this post

Wed Sep 30, 2020, 11:33 AM

3. Beautifully optimistic, thank you nt

Reply to this post

Wed Sep 30, 2020, 11:35 AM

4. Really good. Thank you for posting this.

Reply to this post

Wed Sep 30, 2020, 11:35 AM

5. Great post.

This too shall pass, and hopefully he will too (soon).

"And like a miracle it'll just be gone."

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread