HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » 90,000 covid patients in ...

Sat Nov 28, 2020, 10:09 PM

90,000 covid patients in the hospital--compare to just 5 days ago it was closer to 80,000

my god!!

We've blown through the line of support.
~90,000 covid patients in the hospital.
Not just beds. Not enough nurses, physicians, respiratory therapists and healthcare professionals to cope.
To provide care.

@COVID19Tracking

?s=20

This was 5 days ago, when it was closer to 80,000 patients
https://nytimes.com/2020/11/22/health/Covid-ventilators-stockpile.html by @AndrewJacobsNYT

?s=20

?s=20

5 replies, 680 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 5 replies Author Time Post
Reply 90,000 covid patients in the hospital--compare to just 5 days ago it was closer to 80,000 (Original post)
riversedge Nov 2020 OP
LonePirate Nov 2020 #1
Ms. Toad Nov 2020 #3
Ms. Toad Nov 2020 #2
fescuerescue Nov 2020 #4
sfstaxprep Nov 2020 #5

Response to riversedge (Original post)

Sat Nov 28, 2020, 11:00 PM

1. Death rates will start soaring once anyone over 50 is removed from ICUs for the young

Rationed beds and letting nature take its course are going to create a horrible reality for the next two months.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to LonePirate (Reply #1)

Sat Nov 28, 2020, 11:25 PM

3. My 90+ uncle was just removed from the hospital

because they had no room for him and moving him to short term care wouldn't immediately kill him.

Reply to this post

Sat Nov 28, 2020, 11:24 PM

2. That's actually a relatively modest increase,

Given how rapidly cases are increasing - and how long each COVID patient generally stays in the hospital.

I'm pretty sure that it is artificially low because they are kicking out/not admitting patients who would ordinarily be there because they are at capacity.

(My uncle was near death on Wednesday - and moved to a short term care facility on Thursday because (1) they had no beds and (2) he had improved enough that they thought they could move him without immediately killing him.)

Reply to this post

Sun Nov 29, 2020, 12:24 AM

4. THat's 10% of hospital beds in the US

This is getting worse and worse.

Reply to this post

Sun Nov 29, 2020, 01:48 AM

5. It's Really Pointless To Continue Stressing Over The Situation

There's really nothing that can be done at this point. There are far too many lunatics in this country, willing to completely ignore the warnings.

I really think the mid-long term prospects for the country as a whole are dismal. I really don't think President Biden is going to be able to change the direction the United States is headed. He wants to help, but I don't think he comprehends what he is up against.

I plan to behave the way I have been since March. I worry about myself, and those I care about who also understand the situation. I can't fix stupid.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread