HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » On Chris Hayes, just now,...

Wed Dec 9, 2020, 08:30 PM

On Chris Hayes, just now, MI AG asks why she shouldn't sue Texas for its one-drop-box policy

says she doesn't like how Texas ran their election to disenfranchise black voters with one drop box for 1.7 Million residents of very ethnically diverse Harris County

tells Ken Paxton that no one in Michigan voted for him and he should stay in his lane

39 replies, 6119 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 39 replies Author Time Post
Reply On Chris Hayes, just now, MI AG asks why she shouldn't sue Texas for its one-drop-box policy (Original post)
TomDaisy Dec 2020 OP
at140 Dec 2020 #1
dsc Dec 2020 #5
BGBD Dec 2020 #23
soldierant Dec 2020 #25
LeftInTX Dec 2020 #28
yellowdogintexas Dec 2020 #36
LeftInTX Dec 2020 #38
The empressof all Dec 2020 #2
dalton99a Dec 2020 #3
iluvtennis Dec 2020 #21
Cha Dec 2020 #4
LisaL Dec 2020 #6
yellowdogintexas Dec 2020 #34
sandensea Dec 2020 #7
TomDaisy Dec 2020 #12
yellowdogintexas Dec 2020 #37
thenelm1 Dec 2020 #8
Marcuse Dec 2020 #10
Texin Dec 2020 #13
Takket Dec 2020 #9
Fiendish Thingy Dec 2020 #11
Vivienne235729 Dec 2020 #14
DownriverDem Dec 2020 #18
FrankTC Dec 2020 #22
Vivienne235729 Dec 2020 #29
BobTheSubgenius Dec 2020 #15
BrightKnight Dec 2020 #16
pnwmom Dec 2020 #17
klook Dec 2020 #19
klook Dec 2020 #20
sheshe2 Dec 2020 #24
SunSeeker Dec 2020 #26
susanr516 Dec 2020 #27
Tribetime Dec 2020 #30
NewJeffCT Dec 2020 #31
Make7 Dec 2020 #32
LeftInTX Dec 2020 #35
L.Pharmstrong Dec 2020 #33
Dark n Stormy Knight Dec 2020 #39

Response to TomDaisy (Original post)

Wed Dec 9, 2020, 08:33 PM

1. Does TX state law stipulate something else? If yes, MI should sue.

The TX law suit is about various states not following state election laws.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to at140 (Reply #1)

Wed Dec 9, 2020, 08:41 PM

5. that might be true except by this standard my state should have been sued

but since Trump won here, no one did, I am sure that is just a coincidence.

Reply to this post

Wed Dec 9, 2020, 11:13 PM

23. Which federal courts and other states

have no standing to claim damages from

Reply to this post

Wed Dec 9, 2020, 11:22 PM

25. Even if TX state law does say something else,

I don't see how the Michigan AG would have standing to sue. Someone who is a resident and preferably but not necessarily a registered voter there woul have standing. The Federal Government might, but I'm not sure.

Reply to this post

Wed Dec 9, 2020, 11:54 PM

28. Texas law is more restrictive than what was allowed

The gov wrote some executive orders, but they can just sue based on the same reasons Texas is suing.

I wish the MI AG knew this....MI can argue this in court because Abbott's EOs supposedly over-rid the legislature...This is why Texas does not have a case. But if a defendant state does not bring this up in court, then the USSC can't use this in their opinions. I really hope the states being sued have looked at to what has happened in Texas. By the way, Abbott was sued by the Texas GOP for the same reason that Texas is suing these other states.

Reply to this post

Thu Dec 10, 2020, 02:18 PM

36. a review of Texas Election code which might be helpful

First of all, I think it is atrocious that we do not have drop boxes! I wrote to ourcounty elections chief, inquiring if we would have them. He told me it would require changes to existing election code, and sent a link to the appropriate section of the code. The proclamation the governor made to reduce risk due to COVID shows the original code, then lists the governor's reasons for the adjustments, followed by the changes themselves.

1. All changes to the Election Codes are normally established by the Texas Legislature. It may also be one of those legislative items that is considered an amendment to the state constitution but I do not know that for certain. ( yes we probably have the longest state constitution in the nation)
2. One drop off location for mail in ballots in all 254 counties has been in the code for quite some time, and drop off was only available on election day. This was probably just to allow those who did not mail their ballot in time to get it in by 7 pm on election day. I know for sure this has been in place for at least 8 years because I have been an election judge for that long and it is in the training. In addition, if you hand deliver your mail in ballot, you have to show ID and only deliver your own ballot.
3. Enter COVID: Appeal was made to the governor to temporarily allow every registered voter to receive a vote by mail application, rather than just those who qualify. (code says only over 65, any disabled voter, and folks who know they will be out of the area for the entire election period including early voting and we have to ask for it). The objective was to expand the 'disability' requirement to include fear of COVID. He refused to do this. However...

4. The election code was amended as follows:

(1) the runoff scheduled for May was pushed to July in hopes COVID would not be an issue.
(2) an extra week was added to our 2 week early voting period
(3) the option to drop off mail in ballots was extended to the entire early election period which for mail ins begins the day you receive your ballot, even though the one location rule was not changed
(4) None of this would have been an issue if Harris and Travis counties had not established "branch locations" for dropping off ballots, which was in violation of existing election code.(no other counties did this) It is possible they did this because of the locations of their elections offices in a difficult to navigate downtown area; both counties have atrocious traffic.
(5) Harris county (Houston) came up with an ingenious work around: they followed the "one location" rule but the entire operation was moved to a much more convenient location close to two major highways - an athletic arena with lots of parking, and access to public transportation (it was also an early voting location).
(6) This location was open 24 hours the last 2 days of early voting

We did not get what we wanted, which was applications to everyone and drop boxes or ancillary locations for hand delivery of ballots but we did get some changes which expanded existing access. In Tarrant county where I live, our elections office set up a drive through drop off with several points for dropping off the ballot. These locations encircled the Elections office building so folks could just drive right by. It worked out very well. We have an awesome Elections administrator!
(on the last day of Voter Registration, this was also the drop off point. Drop off locations for ballots and registration forms were both available. The office normally closes at 5 but stayed open until 10 pm due to the huge number of people who came for both purposes)

I hope this helps. Maybe one of these days we will have a legislature that will modify the code to give us drop boxes, but I am not holding my breath on that one.

Reply to this post

Response to yellowdogintexas (Reply #36)

Thu Dec 10, 2020, 02:55 PM

38. I will say it again

Our Elections Administrator in Bexar County is appointed and works independently and in a very non-partisan fashion. People call her a fuddy-duddy cuz she's old, but she knows that election code. When Commissioners Court wanted numerous drop boxes etc, she told them, "No" because of Texas Election Code.

Harris County elections were hamstrung in previous cycles by the GOP County Clerk. Our County Clerk has nothing to do with elections.

Reply to this post

Wed Dec 9, 2020, 08:35 PM

3. Great response

Reply to this post

Response to dalton99a (Reply #3)

Wed Dec 9, 2020, 11:10 PM

21. + 1. nt

Reply to this post

Wed Dec 9, 2020, 08:36 PM

4. Kick! Good question!

Reply to this post

Wed Dec 9, 2020, 08:43 PM

6. OH had one drop box policy too.

NT

Reply to this post

Response to LisaL (Reply #6)

Thu Dec 10, 2020, 01:27 PM

34. doesn't Ohio also have only one early voting location per county?

I think I read that somewhere

Reply to this post

Wed Dec 9, 2020, 08:46 PM

7. Harris County, it should be noted, has 4.7 million people

Of course, it could have 47 million - and Poxton would still give them but one dropbox.

Reply to this post

Response to sandensea (Reply #7)

Wed Dec 9, 2020, 09:49 PM

12. you are right - Houston is US's 4th largest city

Reply to this post

Response to sandensea (Reply #7)

Thu Dec 10, 2020, 02:25 PM

37. Paxton had nothing to do with that - he has no say in it

The legislature would be the only entity which could change the code; the next legislative session begins in January 2021 and lasts for 6 months.

One location for hand delivery has been the rule for quite some time for all 254 counties

Reply to this post

Wed Dec 9, 2020, 09:25 PM

8. Isn't Paxton still under indictment for some nefarious financial dealings?

And was when he last won re-election? Stay classy Texas.

Reply to this post

Response to thenelm1 (Reply #8)

Wed Dec 9, 2020, 09:30 PM

10. He's begging for a pardon.

Reply to this post

Response to Marcuse (Reply #10)

Wed Dec 9, 2020, 09:57 PM

13. Most people think that's where this hinges.

I'm from DFW area and I'm cringeing at this sht show.

Reply to this post

Wed Dec 9, 2020, 09:28 PM

9. that's a damn good question!!!!!!!!!

Reply to this post

Wed Dec 9, 2020, 09:48 PM

11. Forget suing Tx, issue an arrest warrant for Paxton for election interference. Nt

Reply to this post

Wed Dec 9, 2020, 10:12 PM

14. She was on FIRE!!!! Totally destroyed Paxton. I LOVE her!!

Reply to this post

Response to Vivienne235729 (Reply #14)

Wed Dec 9, 2020, 10:57 PM

18. We have

an awesome team here with our Governor, AG & SOS.

Reply to this post

Response to DownriverDem (Reply #18)

Wed Dec 9, 2020, 11:13 PM

22. So Say We All

Absolutely first-rate. Competent, focused, effective. Even the Michigan.gov web sites are now intuitive and navigable, at least in my experience. Government really can work for the people.

Reply to this post

Response to DownriverDem (Reply #18)

Thu Dec 10, 2020, 02:01 AM

29. You sure do!! I'm jealous. My governor is a trump ass kissing douchebag

If you get a chance, watch her on All in w Chris Hayes tonight. It was the best.

Reply to this post

Wed Dec 9, 2020, 10:20 PM

15. Good for her!

Hit that dissembling little puke right in the mouth.

Reply to this post

Wed Dec 9, 2020, 10:20 PM

16. Gerrymandering, vote suppression... nt

Reply to this post

Wed Dec 9, 2020, 10:55 PM

17. EXACTLY!!!!! I'm so glad they're bringing that up. n/t

Reply to this post

Wed Dec 9, 2020, 10:57 PM

19. Did all these Republican legal eagles get their degrees from Trump University?

Reply to this post

Wed Dec 9, 2020, 11:15 PM

24. Oh snap!

Reply to this post

Wed Dec 9, 2020, 11:25 PM

26. She was brilliant! Glad she is on the case for Michigan--and democracy. nt

Reply to this post

Wed Dec 9, 2020, 11:45 PM

27. Here's a few fun facts

Harris County covers an area of 1777 sq. miles. The state of RI is only 1212 sq. miles.

Harris County has an estimated 2019 population of 4,713,325. If Harris County was a state, it would be 26th in population. There are 25 states who have fewer residents than Harris County.

Each of these states has fewer residents than Harris County: WY, VT, ND, SD, DE, RI, MT, ME, NH, HA, ID, WV, NE, NM, KS, MS, AR, NV, IA, UT, CT, OK, OR, KY, and LA.

I'm just throwing this out because I grew up in the DFW metroplex and I thought I knew what it was like to live in a crowded area. Then I met someone who grew up in NYC and he told me to look at the population per sq mi. before I said I lived in a densely populated area. He was right. I was shocked at the huge difference in population per sq mi between Dallas and NYC.

Reply to this post

Thu Dec 10, 2020, 02:13 AM

30. And Ohio for only 1 early voting location per county

Reply to this post

Thu Dec 10, 2020, 01:01 PM

31. Correction - Harris County in TX has 4.7 million people

in it

Reply to this post

Thu Dec 10, 2020, 01:02 PM

32. Isn't the Texas AG's argument that changes to the election must come from the legislature?

Pursuant to his powers as Governor of the State of Texas, Greg Abbott has issued the following:

A proclamation suspending certain statutes concerning the November 3, 2020 elections.

https://gov.texas.gov/uploads/files/press/PROC_COVID-19_Nov_3_general_election_IMAGE_10-01-2020.pdf

The start date for early voting was moved up, which increased the number of days voters could cast their ballots by the Governor of Texas.

Perhaps the Electoral Votes of Texas should not be counted in 2020.

Reply to this post

Response to Make7 (Reply #32)

Thu Dec 10, 2020, 01:43 PM

35. Exactly! Been saying this all along!!

Reply to this post

Thu Dec 10, 2020, 01:07 PM

33. That would be a strategically sound move.

The blue states should assert counterclaims against the 17 red states under the elector clause and the equal protection clause of the 14th Amendment for disenfranchising voters, and especially minority voters. Then SCOTUS can sort out the mess and split the baby.

Reply to this post

Thu Dec 10, 2020, 04:06 PM

39. Actually, this is why I was questioning Rachel Maddow's dismissal

of these particular lawsuits as ridiculous. These particular ones are, because they pretend swing states where Biden won did something wrong, when they actually didn't.

However, she was saying that one state simply can't sue another about how they conduct presidential elections.

But, what if other states dramatically suppress the Dem vote with blatantly unfair & illegal tactics? Suppose challenges to those tactics leading up to the election are dismissed or defeated, or that such actions come to light only after the election? So when Trump, or one like him, wins because of such treachery--the other states have no right to sue?

Can't help wondering, also, whether Rs are joining in such clearly frivolous suits so that when they actually steal an election by cheating of the type I describe above, they can use all the dismissals and distain for these current baseless suits to block legit suits from Dems against true thievery by Rs.

By the way, I think, in general, Rachel is fantastic.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread