HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » For those of us unemploye...

Mon Dec 28, 2020, 01:58 PM

For those of us unemployed, when will we see the $300/wk unemployment & the $600 (or $2,000) check?

Will the enhanced unemployment at least be retroactive to the day the bill was signed? When will it kick in? How about the relief direct deposite? Sorry for all of the annoying questions, I'm just flat broke and this will help me somewhat.

18 replies, 1109 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 18 replies Author Time Post
Reply For those of us unemployed, when will we see the $300/wk unemployment & the $600 (or $2,000) check? (Original post)
Polybius Dec 2020 OP
FirstLight Dec 2020 #1
SoCalNative Dec 2020 #2
Polybius Dec 2020 #4
Johnny2X2X Dec 2020 #3
questionseverything Dec 2020 #6
Johnny2X2X Dec 2020 #7
questionseverything Dec 2020 #9
Johnny2X2X Dec 2020 #13
questionseverything Dec 2020 #15
Johnny2X2X Dec 2020 #17
questionseverything Dec 2020 #18
Withywindle Dec 2020 #12
questionseverything Dec 2020 #14
joshcryer Dec 2020 #8
questionseverything Dec 2020 #11
pinkstarburst Dec 2020 #16
Wellstone ruled Dec 2020 #5
Tink41 Dec 2020 #10

Response to Polybius (Original post)

Mon Dec 28, 2020, 02:00 PM

1. Same...

I needed the extra help like, YESTERDAY! (or months ago...)

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Mon Dec 28, 2020, 02:08 PM

2. I believe that it is not retroactive

and with the delay in signing, it will only actually be a 10 week extension instead of the original 11 weeks. Likely will not see checks until mid-January, at the earliest.

Reply to this post

Response to SoCalNative (Reply #2)

Mon Dec 28, 2020, 02:29 PM

4. I know that it won't be retroactive to August, but I had hoped it would be to the day of the signing

For example, if it kicks in in two weeks, I'd get an extra $900, rather than $300. Ahh, thank you for the info.

Reply to this post

Mon Dec 28, 2020, 02:28 PM

3. A couple weeks

Checks/deposits of the $600 are probably 10-14 days away.

The $300 UE bonus will be a few weeks away too, but keep filing as normal, the extra weeks will show up when you file, but the $300 will take at least 2 weeks to filter through your state's UE system.

UE ended the 26th, the bill was signed the 27th, so I don't think this will make a 1 week lag without coverage for people. I think it's retroactive the 1 day.

Honestly, I'd have rather seen the $400 extended for 20 weeks and have no $600 or $2000 stimulus. Unemployed workers are who needs the help. I have not been affected financially, so the $600 is nice, but I don't need it. Better yet, they should have given the $300 retroactive to July when the $600 ended, and then extend it out until May.

The $600 to everyone is basically a bribe, most do not need it. The people who do need it, need a lot more than $600 because the UE went to almost nothing for them in July. Those are the people who are facing financial ruin and maybe homelessness, they need the help. Those are the people who should get say back dated UE help of $5000 plus UE extended with a $300 bonus for the next 5 months.

The money is not needed by many, and not enough for those who really need the help.

Reply to this post

Response to Johnny2X2X (Reply #3)

Mon Dec 28, 2020, 02:55 PM

6. There are lots of working poor that don't qualify for ue

And really need the $600.

You are correct about it not being enough for those in need

Reply to this post

Response to questionseverything (Reply #6)

Mon Dec 28, 2020, 03:03 PM

7. Yeah, but that's not pandemic related

This is a pandemic relief bill, we aren't going to fix wages in it or cure poverty. A lot can be done to help that issue, but it doesn't belong in this bill.

Reply to this post

Response to Johnny2X2X (Reply #7)

Mon Dec 28, 2020, 03:15 PM

9. Actually tipped employees loss of income is totally pandemic related

Many more companies are competing for delivery dollars and because less people are working they donít have the disposable income for tipping

Honestly if we donít care about poverty, why have a bill to help at all? Why not just let the newly ue join the ranks of the poverty stricken? Thatís not what I think is best but why should those whose bad fortune is totally virus related be more deserving than just run of the mill bad fortune peops?

Reply to this post

Response to questionseverything (Reply #9)

Mon Dec 28, 2020, 03:39 PM

13. PUA covers tipped employees

Even if they are still working part time. I am sure there are gaps, but we can close them if we took the time.

What you're talking about is a social safety net regardless of a pandemic, and I agree that we need a better one, but there was no way that would be part of this relief bill as long as we have Republicans in Washington.

The US has the most wealth of any country in the world, but we have a social safety net that is tiny compared to our peer countries. It's no wonder that most Western Democracies were able to do a lot more and do it more quickly than the US did for its citizens. It took this disaster to get any help for people at all. It's all part of a system in this country built on keeping workers terrified for their well being permanently. If there were a robust social safety net for the unemployed, they'd not fear losing their jobs as much, and thus they'd demand better pay and more benefits. The rich can't have that, it's this fear of financial ruin that drives the gravy train for the rich.

I work for a global company, we had mass permanent layoffs this Spring and Summer. Seeing how our workers in the US were treated vs our workers in the UK were treated could not be different (And our laid off US workers get more than most.)

In the US, workers were given 1 month notice that they were being laid off. So they could work those 4 weeks. They then were given 1 week pay for year of service and benefits continued for a couple months. In the UK, the company had to first tell the UK government they were going to lay people off, then there was a 6 month period before the layoffs actually happened. Then a severance and training options. Benefits not as big of a deal because they already have universal health care in the UK. So many more protections for workers there. And that's the UK, there are other countries with even more for the workers.

The US working class has no idea of what they're supposed to be entitled to. They also don't know that all the wealth in this country is produced by them, but they only share in a tiny slice of the pie. Getting laid off should not mean the end of your financial security, it should not be a total disaster for any family, in the US, those in power have chosen it to be one though.

Reply to this post

Response to Johnny2X2X (Reply #13)

Mon Dec 28, 2020, 03:55 PM

15. You can't blame repubs when it's you arguing against any help for the "previously poor"

The folks that were already on the bottom are now fighting for position with the 40 million newly poor

That 600 bucks will be huge for them

I am just guessing but i bet to get money to replace tip money, you had to claim it before and tips being claimed rarely happens past what is required

Reply to this post

Response to questionseverything (Reply #15)

Mon Dec 28, 2020, 04:08 PM

17. No, sounds like a lot of people didn't even know they qualified

The PUA was extremely lax, basically anyone who claimed reduced hours or lost wages qualified, anyone!

It was basically no questions asked, even if you couldn't prove income.

$600 is fine for them, but I'd much rather have seen a longer and bigger benefit.

The problem isn't that they're giving $600 to people who really need it, it's that $600 isn't enough, and that they're also giving it to people who do not need it (the majority of Americans do not need it right now.) So the reason why it's just $600 is because they wanted to give it to people like me and my wife, making a combined low 6 figures combined, but we'll still get the full $1200 even though neither of us saw income decline or spending increase due to the pandemic, the opposite is actually true for us.

If they did do a stimulus, I'd have rather it be limited to people who were affected by the pandemic and the working poor. But it wasn't going to be popular enough to pass that way.

Reply to this post

Response to Johnny2X2X (Reply #17)

Mon Dec 28, 2020, 07:28 PM

18. I didn't try for anything for my household because we were fine so

I am only going by what i have heard and read but here in Illinois I know several peops who the state says were over paid last time (and are supposed to pay it back) and my daughter had her ue stopped because she didnít make enough in the correct time frame ( i saw that paperwork)

I do agree the 75,000 was too high, I thought 55,000 was a better cut off, still generous but not so high that we should expect that person to have savings for the long term

Reply to this post

Response to Johnny2X2X (Reply #7)

Mon Dec 28, 2020, 03:32 PM

12. Yeah, it very much is pandemic related.

People who work in restaurants and bars in some places still have work (SOME) but with hours drastically reduced and also = half the customers, half the tips. (I've seen some studies that say tips have dropped even more than you would expect with some business. Why? Because the people who go out to restaurants in the middle of a pandemic have a greater tendency to be the selfish louts who don't tip well and abuse the staff).

Many retail workers still have a job on paper but have had their hours so dramatically cut they barely have any income from it.

Reply to this post

Response to Withywindle (Reply #12)

Mon Dec 28, 2020, 03:48 PM

14. Or they got so few hours before they don't qualify now

Harder to claw your way out of poverty when you have 40 million new people to compete with

Reply to this post

Response to questionseverything (Reply #6)

Mon Dec 28, 2020, 03:11 PM

8. You should look in to applying for the gig worker aspect of UE.

Sign up with mTurk and claim gig worker, they likely have extra funds laying around.

Reply to this post

Response to joshcryer (Reply #8)

Mon Dec 28, 2020, 03:23 PM

11. What is mturk?

N/t

Reply to this post

Response to Johnny2X2X (Reply #3)

Mon Dec 28, 2020, 02:33 PM

5. Looking like what State you live in.

Moscow Mitch's States will suffer as usually where as Dem run States will move ahead by moving funds in order to help it's residents.

Reply to this post

Mon Dec 28, 2020, 03:19 PM

10. It affects me

I have kept up because I'm in this boat. NOT retroactive which is horrifying, supposedly in effect Jan 1 so whenever your filing date is whenever it includes the week of Jan 1 going forward you will eventually receive the extra 300 for the claim week of Jan1st forward. Most likely depends on how well your state has handled so far.
The 600/2000 would most likely be faster if you had filed taxes electronically last year, and or set up this year with the last stimulus money.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread