HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » How to stay safe from COV...

Tue Mar 30, 2021, 07:19 AM

How to stay safe from COVID this summer, according to experts

More than 2 million people in the United States are getting vaccinated against the coronavirus every day, but case counts are once again on the rise as some states begin to lift public health restrictions. Now, Americans are looking toward the warmer months ahead and wondering: What will our second summer in the COVID era be like?

Right now, a little more than one in six people, or 15.8 percent of the population, have been fully immunized. Federal guidance on how to go about life post-vaccination is still emerging, but what we know so far — like that fully vaccinated people can safely gather with other fully vaccinated people inside without masks — is encouraging.

The promise of protection from any of the three shots that have been authorized in the United States offers a much-needed beacon of hope, even as researchers are still collecting important data on these vaccines. A recent study from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention involving Pfizer and Moderna’s mRNA vaccines concluded that fully vaccinated people were 90 percent less likely to become infected with the coronavirus in “real-world conditions” like the workplace. But there are a couple key questions we just don’t have the answers to yet.

___

Easing up on those prevention strategies too soon threatens to undo the significant progress that’s been made in this country over the past several weeks to get this virus under control. That’s why the push to get back to some version of “normal” life should “be a dial and not a switch,” according to Dr. Preeti Malani, chief health officer and a professor of medicine in the infectious diseases division at the University of Michigan.

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/health/how-to-stay-safe-from-covid-this-summer-according-to-experts

5 replies, 1267 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 5 replies Author Time Post
Reply How to stay safe from COVID this summer, according to experts (Original post)
Arkansas Granny Mar 2021 OP
SheltieLover Mar 2021 #1
Arkansas Granny Mar 2021 #2
Rorey Mar 2021 #3
Pobeka Mar 2021 #4
Arkansas Granny Mar 2021 #5

Response to Arkansas Granny (Original post)

Tue Mar 30, 2021, 07:19 AM

1. K&R!

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Tue Mar 30, 2021, 07:28 AM

2. One of the important takeaways from the article:

She added that the presence of more transmissible variants means there’s “less room for error” when it comes to measures like masking and distancing. It’ll still be important to mask up when going to any local business where you’ll be interacting with people you don’t know personally.

Reply to this post

Response to Arkansas Granny (Reply #2)

Tue Mar 30, 2021, 08:00 AM

3. Seems like I'm starting to see more without masks here

But it could be because I went to the store in the afternoon yesterday, instead of the early morning. I was pretty much in and out, because I just needed two things. I'm going to try hard to not put myself in that position again.

I also noticed that there are a few who aren't great at keeping their distance. It's disappointing. I'm going to keep following the rules, probably long after those rules are no longer in effect (if we ever reach that point). It's not that hard. I wish there weren't so many idiots on the planet.

Reply to this post

Tue Mar 30, 2021, 09:38 AM

4. Three days from dose #1 for me. I've been doubling down on precautions.

These new variants are game changers for non-vaccinated folks. (Even if you are vaccinated the jury is still out for the S. African variant, though early results look like current vaccines are helpful).

Now is not the time to blow it an make a mistake that exposes you to more risk given the increased ability of the new variants to infect.

So, my SO, who is vaccinated has been the designated shopper for several weeks now. I'm avoiding anyplace where there might be a crowd.

Once vaccinated with dose 2 and 14 days, I'll be back on the shopping duty, and walking in low traffic areas if folks are behaving.

Reply to this post

Response to Pobeka (Reply #4)

Tue Mar 30, 2021, 10:56 AM

5. You're right. Now is not the time to blow it and waste a whole year of precautions.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread