HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » @Microsoft's statement on...

Fri Apr 2, 2021, 07:28 PM

@Microsoft's statement on the Georgia voting laws

?s=21

Marc E. Elias
@marceelias
I suggest you read @Microsoft's statement. It is excellent and quite specific. https://blogs.microsoft.com/on-the-issues/2021/03/31/why-we-are-concerned-about-georgias-new-election-law/

Why we are concerned about Georgia’s new election law
Mar 31, 2021 | Brad Smith - President

Just last month, Microsoft shared its decision to invest substantially in Atlanta. As I announced together with Georgia’s Governor and Atlanta’s Mayor, our company is making significant investments that will put Atlanta “on the path toward becoming one of Microsoft’s largest hubs in the United States in the coming decade, after Puget Sound and Silicon Valley.” We are creating thousands of new jobs, and we are proud to become a rapidly growing member of Atlanta’s important business community.

That’s why we are concerned about many aspects of Georgia’s new “Election Integrity Act.” Two things are clear to us. First, the right to vote is the most cherished aspect of democracy. And second, this new law has important provisions that unfairly restrict the rights of people to vote legally, securely, and safely. That’s why we voiced concern about this legislation even before it was passed.

We are concerned by the law’s impact on communities of color, on every voter, and on our employees and their families. We share the views of other corporate leaders that it’s not only right but essential for the business community to stand together in opposition to the harmful provisions and other similar legislation that may be considered elsewhere.

It’s also important for the business community to be principled, substantive, and concrete in explaining its concerns. Let me share some of the new law’s provisions that we believe will harm individuals’ ability to exercise their right to vote:

LOADS MORE

9 replies, 1667 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 9 replies Author Time Post
Reply @Microsoft's statement on the Georgia voting laws (Original post)
soothsayer Apr 2021 OP
PoliticAverse Apr 2021 #1
BigmanPigman Apr 2021 #2
Shermann Apr 2021 #3
TomSlick Apr 2021 #4
Mr. Evil Apr 2021 #6
TomSlick Apr 2021 #8
Escurumbele Apr 2021 #5
BobTheSubgenius Apr 2021 #7
burrowowl Apr 2021 #9

Response to soothsayer (Original post)

Fri Apr 2, 2021, 07:32 PM

1. So they won't be changing their plans to invest in Georgia they are just going to...

"press the Georgia legislature"?

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to PoliticAverse (Reply #1)

Fri Apr 2, 2021, 07:36 PM

2. Looks like it.

Reply to this post

Fri Apr 2, 2021, 07:37 PM

3. Now it's the Republican Conundrum

If we manipulate voting laws to gain a house advantage, we will LOSE MONEY. If we don't, we will LOSE VOTES.

If we make the money, maybe we can just buy the votes?? But then we are back to LOSING THE MONEY.

If get the votes, maybe we can go after the dark money?? But the voters find will out and we will LOSE THE VOTES.

What's a Republican to do!

Reply to this post

Fri Apr 2, 2021, 07:39 PM

4. If there was a threat in there to stop investment in Georgia, it was subtle.

The GQP doesn't do subtle.

Reply to this post

Response to TomSlick (Reply #4)

Fri Apr 2, 2021, 10:06 PM

6. You made me think of this:

Goebbels
Qanon
Party

Reply to this post

Response to Mr. Evil (Reply #6)

Fri Apr 2, 2021, 10:15 PM

8. That works.

Reply to this post

Fri Apr 2, 2021, 10:05 PM

5. The letter is missing a subtle threat, and inferred threat.

It could only say "the new voting laws make it difficult for a company like ours to settle in Georgia, and we must rethink our investment in the state if these...etc., etc." If they don't scare them they won't do anything, republicans do not react unless they are threatened.

Reply to this post

Fri Apr 2, 2021, 10:08 PM

7. Specific enough for you, Whitlock?

Enough detail? F you.

Reply to this post

Fri Apr 2, 2021, 10:53 PM

9. I'ii believe corporations when they say

the Citizens United crap should be overturned. Until then I don't believe in Corporations being good citizens.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread