HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » THREAD: 50 Reasons Why Ge...

Tue Apr 6, 2021, 03:43 PM

THREAD: 50 Reasons Why Georgia's New Voting Law Really Is That Bad.

Tweet text:
Esosa Osa
@Esosa_Osa
THREAD: 50 Reasons Why Georgia's New Voting Law Really Is That Bad.

Each reason is cited by line so feel free to follow along with the actual text here: https://legis.ga.gov/legislation/59827
#gapol #SB202 1/13
2:25 PM · Apr 3, 2021

Unrolled thread here
https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1378458660297441281.html

Law Really Is That Bad.

Each reason is cited by line so feel free to follow along with the actual text here: legis.ga.gov/legislation/59…
#gapol #SB202 1/13

HYPERCRIMINALIZATION: Georgia's new law codifies mass disenfranchisement and further expands criminalization policy in the voting process. 2/13

POWER GRAB: Georgia's new law removes significant power from the Secretary of State and gives the GOP-led, gerrymandered state legislature majority control of the State Election Board 3/13

COUNTY ELECTION TAKEOVERS: GA's new law removes judicial oversight from the county intervention process & grants a GOP-controlled body the power to replace county BOEs & local elections officials w/ significant voter access & election certification responsibilities. 4/13

SANCTION POWER: Georgia's new voting law allows the State Election Board to sanction counties that don't accept unlimited challenges or fail to hold mass challenge hearings within 10/days. 5/13

PROVISIONAL BALLOTS: Georgia's new voting law bans most out-of-precinct provisional ballots. Over 20k provisional ballots were counted in the general & runoff elections and these were nearly 70% dem voters 6/13

DROP BOXES: Georgia's new law completely eliminates over 300 hours of drop box availability relative to 2020. The law also significantly reduces the total number of drop boxes, using "uniformity" as an excuse to race to the bottom in voter access. 7/13

VOTE-BY-MAIL: Georgia's new law adds several new VBM burdens including: restrictions to absentee ballot applications that would have impacted 75K voters in 2020/2021 elections and new ID requirements that could impact over 200K Georgians. 8/13

RUNOFFS: Georgia's new law cuts runoff elections by 5 weeks, reduces minimum early vote required for federal runoffs, & likely eliminates vbm options.

[Note: Reducing participation in already racist Jim Crow relic runoff elections is next level. See vox.com/21551855/georg…] 9/13

Why Georgia has runoff elections
Racist lawmakers built Georgia’s election system, and now it’s affecting the balance of the Senate.
https://www.vox.com/21551855/georgia-ossoff-perdue-loeffler-warnock-runoff-election-2020-results

MORE BAD: GA's new voting law also bans counties from accepting grant $$ to fund elections, limits voting resources, & more. While I'm sure there are provisions I missed, these 50 clearly show that SB202, at its core, is a bill meant to restrict access & criminalize voting. 10/13

why do some claim it’s not all bad? it allows early tabulation, ends signature match, +1 Sat early vote day (no diff 4 larger counties) & lets more ppl be poll workers (precinct splitting is complicated tf w/holding here).
So while the full text shows SB202s true IMPACT... 11/13

The actual INTENT of this bill is clear from its origins. The same lies that fueled an insurrection. The same policies first introduced at disinfo filled hearings held by the GA senate (12/3) & GA house (12/23) that led to death threats & doxxing of black election workers. 12/13

In Summary: Georgia's new voting law is bad. This is not hard. Fight back here: StopJimCrow2.com END/

- Stop Jim Crow 2
http://StopJimCrow2.com
• • •

28 replies, 1753 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 28 replies Author Time Post
Reply THREAD: 50 Reasons Why Georgia's New Voting Law Really Is That Bad. (Original post)
Nevilledog Apr 6 OP
underpants Apr 6 #1
Make7 Apr 6 #2
Hoyt Apr 6 #8
smirkymonkey Apr 6 #3
WHITT Apr 6 #4
Pinback Apr 6 #26
SWBTATTReg Apr 6 #5
hvn_nbr_2 Apr 6 #6
Hoyt Apr 6 #9
dsc Apr 6 #12
Hoyt Apr 6 #14
dsc Apr 6 #19
Cheezoholic Apr 6 #7
Hoyt Apr 6 #10
uponit7771 Apr 6 #13
Hoyt Apr 6 #16
uponit7771 Apr 6 #20
Hoyt Apr 6 #21
uponit7771 Apr 6 #25
CurtEastPoint Apr 6 #11
uponit7771 Apr 6 #15
yellowdogintexas Apr 7 #28
Johonny Apr 6 #18
Hoyt Apr 6 #22
Johonny Apr 6 #17
EleanorR Apr 6 #23
Hermit-The-Prog Apr 6 #24
crickets Apr 6 #27

Response to Nevilledog (Original post)

Tue Apr 6, 2021, 03:47 PM

1. How many times can I Rec this?

Excellent. Thanks.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Tue Apr 6, 2021, 04:08 PM

2. If it is true that the voters challenged must show up to a hearing and...

... that the challenge need not be based on verifiable information then someone needs to challenge the Governor and every legislator that made this the law. Make them show up to defend it.

I have not read the text of the bill but if there is no downside to making a challenge to a voter's eligibility, it is a system designed and put in place to be abused with the goal of suppressing the vote.

Reply to this post

Response to Make7 (Reply #2)

Tue Apr 6, 2021, 04:37 PM

8. Law says it's challenger's burden to provide voter unqualified. Law has been on books for years,

what was added is a line saying -- "There shall not be a limit on the number of persons whose qualifications
576 such elector may challenge."

I would think there are laws that apply to a challenger who makes bad faith accusations, but I don't know that for sure.

Reply to this post

Tue Apr 6, 2021, 04:09 PM

3. K&R

Reply to this post

Tue Apr 6, 2021, 04:20 PM

4. Great Compilation

Rich Lowry on 'Meet the Press' Sunday:

I think the, the attack on this Georgia bill is an outrageous smear, Chuck. It actually increases early voting hours. It tries to deal with the problem of long lines. The key security measure is you've got to sign your driver's license number on an absentee ballot envelope. No one is going to be disenfranchised because of this law.

Somebody forward it to the clueless dumbass, I don't have a twitter account.

@RichLowry

Reply to this post

Response to WHITT (Reply #4)

Tue Apr 6, 2021, 08:07 PM

26. Hugh Hewitt took a similar line in a Wash. Post opinion piece.

Tried to make it sound like sunshine and lollipops.

The most insidious parts are about the state taking over local election boards. If they can screw DeKalb and Fulton counties this way, they’d never lose another election.

We in Georgia will be fighting this like hell. Assholes.

Reply to this post

Tue Apr 6, 2021, 04:26 PM

5. Mass challenges works both ways, challenge every single republican vote, tit for tat, for every

challenged democratic vote.

But this is definitely a voter suppression bill. If someone claims otherwise, they are lying through their teeth.

Reply to this post

Tue Apr 6, 2021, 04:27 PM

6. Mass challenges: two can play that game

Every voter in every red area should be challenged. Rub their noses in their own excrement. And coincidentally, make their bogus election as obviously bogus as it is.

Reply to this post

Response to hvn_nbr_2 (Reply #6)

Tue Apr 6, 2021, 04:41 PM

9. The basic law has been on the books for years. Never heard of a problem, but I suppose

some rube could try to challenge voters for something like their race. But I also suppose that could result in a serious backlash.

As mentioned, the law has been on the books for some time. Bill just added a line that says: "There shall not be a limit on the number of persons whose qualifications such elector may challenge." Apparently, it was left open before. They also added a provision on the time to act on a challenge. Not sure that is a bad thing.

Reply to this post

Response to Hoyt (Reply #9)

Tue Apr 6, 2021, 05:15 PM

12. So one white True the Vote guy

can challenge every single solitary Black voter in Fulton County and they all have to show up to a hearing to defend their vote, during working hours, of course. Oh, and if you think some Black voter is going to be permitted to do that in a lily white north Georgia county, you are a special kind of naive.

Reply to this post

Response to dsc (Reply #12)

Tue Apr 6, 2021, 05:20 PM

14. The County can decide if it has merit. Doubt Fulton County registrars would find that. Now,

Now, some of those rube counties where Margorie Greene is from, might. But, I am confident -- but only 93.6% confident -- it would be shot down quickly.

My point is that the law has been on the book for years -- without specifically saying someone can file an unlimited number of challenges -- and there hasn't been a problem.

Reply to this post

Response to Hoyt (Reply #14)

Tue Apr 6, 2021, 05:30 PM

19. voters would still have to take a day off work

and for no pay, and likely have to wait hours if not days for hearings.

Reply to this post

Tue Apr 6, 2021, 04:28 PM

7. First chance to read it line by line....

Thanks for posting it. There are seeds in there to pit neighbors, friends even family members against each other. That goes way beyond race imo That doesn't read like Jim Crow 2. That reads like some law out of a banana republic after a bloody coup. Certainly looks like a law to test tolerance of the masses to an absolute fascist takeover. Scary shit.

Reply to this post

Tue Apr 6, 2021, 05:04 PM

10. Don't like the law, but I think everyone should read it before accepting a few of the things in OP.

https://www.legis.ga.gov/api/legislation/document/20212022/201121

The phrases and sentences underline, were added by GOPers in 2021.

For example, The OP talks about ID's for applying for a mail-in ballot and submitting ballots. The original GOPer proposal required an ID and a copy to be mailed in. That was changed after Democrats went to work. More significantly, if a voter doesn't have a driver's license or free state ID, they can use the last 4-digits of their Social Security Number. There are few, if any, people of voting age who don't have a SSN.

What really sucks in the legislation is the abuse that COULD arise from some of the provisions on taking control of local election boards.

The placing of drop boxes inside could be a problem as far as parking hassles, etc. But before, the counties didn't even have to have a drop box. So, in some ways, that's an improvement.

My guess is, all judicial hell would break loose if the Legislature tried to take control of Atlanta counties.

As far as water -- If my grandma needs water, I'm taking it to her and I don't believe it violates the new law because the intent is soliciting votes. But, someone would have to challenge the potential abuse in Court. And anyone can take their own water AND the polling place can provide water. I'm going to encourage my county's election board to do just that.

Fortunately, in the counties that helped elect Biden and our two new Senators, they will handle any obstruction and get the word out to voters. I'd like to see most of any changes scrapped by Court Order or recalling the Legislature. But if it doesn't happen, I know Democrats aren't as stupid and helpless as some GOPers seem to think. Stacy Abrams and others will increase voter registration and turnout, no matter what.

With regard to removing some power from the Secretary of State, I think we all would have applauded just that after the 2018 election. So, it's hard to tell whether that is good or bad.

Reply to this post

Response to Hoyt (Reply #10)

Tue Apr 6, 2021, 05:19 PM

13. Overall GA kGQP didn't make it easier to vote in all aspects of voting, that makes this bad no

... matter what wording they put in it.

The level of anti Americanism coming from the GQP is gob smacking

Reply to this post

Response to uponit7771 (Reply #13)

Tue Apr 6, 2021, 05:23 PM

16. I agree. In fact, the worst thing is that is gave some credence to trump's lies about election fraud

But, if the law is not changed, I'm not going to whine about why we can't win the next election.

I think we'll win in spite of the law mainly because I don't think we are as stupid and helpless as some people seem to believe.

Reply to this post

Response to Hoyt (Reply #16)

Tue Apr 6, 2021, 05:31 PM

20. We are, voter suppression works and is my central theory to why are polling in America

... is less accurate than it is in some less advanced and third world countries

No other country on the planet currently that is advanced would put up with polling so horrible in the outcomes tilted towards one party for so long

The one factor polling companies do not correctly weight is voter suppression

Overall polling was more accurate during world war II than they are now that's how bad are polling is in America. It's not because Americans have changed or we're worse people in regards to honesty and other countries or our voters are more shy than S Korea or Australia it's because the voter suppression has gotten better here.

Reply to this post

Response to uponit7771 (Reply #20)

Tue Apr 6, 2021, 05:45 PM

21. Sort of agree, but voter suppression during 1940s was pretty bad -- Poll taxes and literacy tests.

I honestly think polling is so bad because some people are ashamed to admit they are racist, rube GOPers, especially true in 2020 with trump.

Reply to this post

Response to Hoyt (Reply #21)

Tue Apr 6, 2021, 06:53 PM

25. Hmmm, interesting .. I wish I had the data on that in the 40s

Reply to this post

Tue Apr 6, 2021, 05:05 PM

11. Fulton Co. has 1M people and runs 70 miles north to south. We get 10 dropoff boxes. TEN. Fuckers

Reply to this post

Response to CurtEastPoint (Reply #11)

Tue Apr 6, 2021, 05:21 PM

15. Abbot did this in Houston. Looks like drop boxes made all the difference in

.... the last elections and kGQP wants to get rid of them

Reply to this post

Response to uponit7771 (Reply #15)

Wed Apr 7, 2021, 05:28 PM

28. Texas Election Code has not allowed drop boxes for a very long time

It would not have even come up if Austin and Houston had not attempted to open a second drop off point besides the County Elections Office (which was the only drop off point allowed in the Election Code). Before 2020, each county had one location and was only available during regular voting hours on election day, mostly to accomodate voters who did not get their ballot in the mail in time). If you took your ballot to the Elections Office, you had to show ID.

I wrote our Elections Administator about drop boxes (this was back in June and he sent me the Election Code and a copy of the changes in the code because of COIVD, The proclamation extended early voting by another week, allowed the Elections Office to accept dropped off VBM ballots for the entire voting period, moved the post primary runoff to a later date. ID still needed.

A very efficient drop off process was set up and it worked very well. It was essentially a drive through process so we probably could not do it that way again, but our folks are really clever and I expect a new system will be developed.

I don't know how our proposed bill will impact the things we did in 2020. It would be nice to have a good bullet point like the OP provided.

One thing that has been mentioned is doing away with voting centers and go back to voting in the home precinct, with every location having the same number of machines. I presume that addresses large voting locations with hundreds of machines would no longer be used. However, our major metropolitan counties and a number of others have a different voting center process, which allows a voter to go to any location in the county to vote on Election Day. If you work across the county and there is a precinct close to your workplace, you can stop and vote there instead of trying to beat traffic to get to your normal precinct by 7. As long as that remains in place,

Harris County just moved their VBM drop off point to an athletic arena which was also an Early Voting site with plenty of parking and easy access. I think the county office was downtown and hard to get to with no parking.

Reply to this post

Tue Apr 6, 2021, 05:26 PM

18. In California

Primarily White neighborhood, 2 drop boxes within walking distance of my condo.

Just for perspective

Reply to this post

Tue Apr 6, 2021, 05:47 PM

22. To be fair, when the Post Office is working right, every mailbox is a drop box. I bet more people

mailed their ballots in 2020 than dropped them off.

Reply to this post

Tue Apr 6, 2021, 05:24 PM

17. Jim meet Crow

We all know these laws won't be applied blindly, but with purpose.

Reply to this post

Tue Apr 6, 2021, 06:14 PM

23. There was no fraud, so there was no reason to pass this law nt

Reply to this post

Tue Apr 6, 2021, 06:30 PM

24. Georgia should be bankrupted: Each voter should challenge thousands of others.

Let the GQP pay for mass hearings with thousands of challenged voters showing up.

Reply to this post

Tue Apr 6, 2021, 09:18 PM

27. K&R for visibility.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread