HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Live MSNBC web program re...

Tue Jun 8, 2021, 09:00 PM

Live MSNBC web program record?

I recently cancelled my sat TV subscription as about all I watched on it was PBS and MSNBC. I have found I can get both of them online (PBS on Roku and MSNBC at https://livenewstime.com/msnbc-live/ (thanks to those who provided that web address)).

I would like though to go even better and record the MSNBC progs so they can be played back later and the commercials skipped (same as what one does on a PVR). Was wondering if anyone knows of a Windows app that allows for that?

Thanks for any assistance....

12 replies, 866 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread

Response to Disaffected (Original post)

Tue Jun 8, 2021, 09:01 PM

1. Always amazed at the number of people who say "I dropped my subscription..."

...and want to be able to watch TV (without commercials) for free.

Wouldn't it be simpler to ask the cast and crew to simply work without pay?

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to brooklynite (Reply #1)

Tue Jun 8, 2021, 09:08 PM

2. If I could get only PBS & MSNBC on sat TV or cable

I would gladly pay a reasonable fee. But I can't. They both come bundled with dozens of other channels in which I have no interest and at a price that makes such an option not feasible for me.

As for without commercials, I don't listen to them anyhow so nothing is lost by anyone by my skipping them.

Reply to this post

Response to brooklynite (Reply #1)

Wed Jun 9, 2021, 08:13 PM

12. I agree, just like whiners of newspaper pay walls. Nt

Reply to this post

Tue Jun 8, 2021, 09:13 PM

3. my previous live stream mirror started blocking me for having an adblocker. glad to find a new one n

Reply to this post

Response to msongs (Reply #3)

Tue Jun 8, 2021, 09:15 PM

4. never mind, it freezes up so badly it is not watchable. oh well nt

Reply to this post

Response to msongs (Reply #4)

Tue Jun 8, 2021, 09:23 PM

6. Assuming you are referring to the URL I mentioned above,

I found the same at first on my Win PC and even worse on my Android tablet (completely unusable). However, after a while my PC version (Win 10, Chrome) is very good (only the occasional freezes or buffering). I dunno why it improved, maybe it will revert to its original state but so far so good (for the last three days anyhow). Might be worth trying it again.

Reply to this post

Tue Jun 8, 2021, 09:17 PM

5. Just so you know, the various free streams for MSNBC are not always very reliable...

they tend to drop constantly, require refreshing, or are offline at various times. Not to mention that they may not be legal, since some of those streams disappear abruptly.

There are some streaming packages that allow you to get a fairly minimal package with MSNBC and which allows you to record shows. Some time ago, I had a subscription to Philo with MSNBC that allowed recording. You might check it out. If you are saving on cable tv or satellite anyway, then some of these packages are still probably a major saving.

If you stick with streaming of these free (maybe legal? streams), despite the issues, the only thing I can think of you to do is to pick up an old-school recording DVD player. I doubt you could program it to delay-record, given the likelihood that your stream would drop, but you could do it in real-time to replay later.

Or, you can do what I tend to do now which is to listen to shows live on tune-in radio and delayed on podcasts. Nearly all the major shows have free podcasts that update within a few hours of the show.

Reply to this post

Response to hlthe2b (Reply #5)

Tue Jun 8, 2021, 09:29 PM

7. Thanks for the recommendation but

I tried Philo and it is only available in the US.

If I had an old DVD player/recorder, how would I make it work with a PC?

BTW, I have also found a audio only app for Android called FM Radio Free that works well (but no recording AFAIK).

Reply to this post

Response to Disaffected (Reply #7)

Tue Jun 8, 2021, 09:35 PM

8. You'd need either an internet-ready tv or a device that can send pc signals to a tv

like apple tv or hook your laptop to your tv via hdmi cable so that your tv is the "monitor" and then you'd hook the DVD recorder to the tv. There might be some software that would work through your pc directly too, but you'd have to research that.

Again, I don't think there would be a way to make programming of delayed streams work, but you could capture what is showing on your tv in real time, whether you were there or not watching.

Reply to this post

Response to Disaffected (Reply #7)

Tue Jun 8, 2021, 11:33 PM

9. try an adapter

Several types exist to split a signal, depends on the type of output your computer has.
For example-
https://www.monoprice.com/pages/avadapterssale

Reply to this post

Response to hlthe2b (Reply #5)

Wed Jun 9, 2021, 01:27 AM

10. TuneIn Radio app is very good

Yes. TuneIn Radio app is very good and podcasts appear just a few hours after live broadcast. Very convenient especially for west coast listeners.

Reply to this post

Wed Jun 9, 2021, 05:59 PM

11. Thanks everyone for their suggestions.

I have found a PC app called Screen Grabber Premium which looks good. It allows recording a screen or any portion of the screen and has a start/stop recording timer.

Only problem is however it pretty maxes out my old PC so there are some momentary freezes (good excuse for an upgrade).

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread