HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Trump threatened the Afgh...

Wed Aug 18, 2021, 04:26 AM

Trump threatened the Afghan President into brokering a deal with the Taliban.

Last edited Wed Aug 18, 2021, 05:21 AM - Edit history (1)

I had not known this before now. Afghanistan had just had a very contentious election, the nation was very divided at the time making it a bad time to pull out. Trump wanted to pull out, Afghanistan was not uniting fast enough for Trump so he decided to give Afghanistan to the Taliban.

Snip~

Pompeo delivered a message from Trump to the feuding leadership of the Afghan government, telling them they should resolve their differences and broker a deal with the Taliban or the president could not only cut $1 billion in financial aid to Afghanistan but also could pull all U.S. troops out of the country, according to two current senior officials, one former senior official and a foreign diplomat.

Snip~

Pompeo said in a statement two weeks ago that the U.S. was “disappointed” in Ghani and Abdullah and that “their failure has harmed U.S.-Afghan relations.”

His threat to cut $1 billion in aid if the Afghan leaders couldn’t reach a governing agreement would essentially mean cutting the lifeline for the Afghan government’s security forces. Pompeo also said he told the Afghan leaders that plans under the administration’s deal with the Taliban to reduce the number of troops in Afghanistan to 8,600 in coming months would continue.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/pompeo-afghan-leaders-make-deal-taliban-or-risk-full-u-n1174161

26 replies, 1978 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 26 replies Author Time Post
Reply Trump threatened the Afghan President into brokering a deal with the Taliban. (Original post)
BlueLucy Aug 2021 OP
secondwind Aug 2021 #1
BlueLucy Aug 2021 #2
no_hypocrisy Aug 2021 #3
underpants Aug 2021 #4
twodogsbarking Aug 2021 #8
Irish_Dem Aug 2021 #9
usaf-vet Aug 2021 #5
Irish_Dem Aug 2021 #10
usaf-vet Aug 2021 #13
Irish_Dem Aug 2021 #14
usaf-vet Aug 2021 #16
Irish_Dem Aug 2021 #17
usaf-vet Aug 2021 #18
Irish_Dem Aug 2021 #19
usaf-vet Aug 2021 #21
Irish_Dem Aug 2021 #22
usaf-vet Aug 2021 #23
Irish_Dem Aug 2021 #24
usaf-vet Aug 2021 #25
Irish_Dem Aug 2021 #26
jaxexpat Aug 2021 #6
malaise Aug 2021 #7
spanone Aug 2021 #11
lindysalsagal Aug 2021 #12
Irish_Dem Aug 2021 #15
JI7 Aug 2021 #20

Response to BlueLucy (Original post)

Wed Aug 18, 2021, 05:07 AM

1. Is there a link for this? Thanks in advance.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Wed Aug 18, 2021, 06:24 AM

3. Trump wanted his Nobel Peace Prize more than he wanted actual peace.

Reply to this post

Response to no_hypocrisy (Reply #3)

Wed Aug 18, 2021, 06:52 AM

4. I do believe that you've nailed it.

Reply to this post

Wed Aug 18, 2021, 07:30 AM

8. He did win the Nobel

Piece of Work prize four years in a row.

Reply to this post

Wed Aug 18, 2021, 08:26 AM

9. Exactly, it was all show boating, no real substance. No understanding of the complexities.

Reply to this post

Wed Aug 18, 2021, 06:59 AM

5. YA BUT what he wants more is some of the billions of dollars in the U.S. banks held for Afghanistan.

The grifter is always looking for the next mark the next big score.

The Afghanistan government wasn't even involved with the "deal" Trump cut with the Taliban.

You know the quid pro quo "deal" with the Taliban is one of Trump's MO aka modus operandum.

Thankfully at this point, President Biden has put a hold on the funds in the U.S. banks.

Reply to this post

Response to usaf-vet (Reply #5)

Wed Aug 18, 2021, 08:31 AM

10. Yep. We can see the wheels turning in his head: How to steal a big pile of taxpayer $$$.

Sociopaths think that if people are stupid enough to leave big piles of cash around, they deserve to lose it.

He fully expected to walk away with a Noble Prize and a big chunk of cash.

Reply to this post

Response to Irish_Dem (Reply #10)

Wed Aug 18, 2021, 08:49 AM

13. He might get the cash but I don't believe the Nobel Committee would be that stupid.

Awarding him a Nobel would be as outrageous as giving Limbaugh the Presidential Freedom Medal.

Reply to this post

Response to usaf-vet (Reply #13)

Wed Aug 18, 2021, 09:01 AM

14. Of course, it was all fantasy. The man is delusional.

He thought he could walk away with a Nobel Prize, a big chunk of cash, and a sure fire election win.

He is totally disconnected from reality.

(Hi, I am an AF brat!)

Reply to this post

Response to Irish_Dem (Reply #14)

Wed Aug 18, 2021, 09:04 AM

16. Nothing wrong with that. What did your parent or parents do in AF.

Reply to this post

Response to usaf-vet (Reply #16)

Wed Aug 18, 2021, 09:15 AM

17. My father flew combat in three wars.

1. WWII, Burma Hump.

2. Korea (Don't know what he did there, he would never speak of it. He was there for two years, came back a changed man for the worse.)

3. Viet Nam, Air Refueler and then Cargo, in and out of Da Nang and into North Viet Nam. Cargo, dropping off troops then flying the bodies out. Air Refueler, refueling US planes going into North Viet Nam. You know what those planes were doing.
He was in Viet Nam for 4 years; it was an accompanied tour, the family was in Japan and Okinawa. We saw him occasionally when he could get away from Da Nang.

What did you do?

Reply to this post

Response to Irish_Dem (Reply #17)

Wed Aug 18, 2021, 09:58 AM

18. Air Force Medic 65-69. Loved the job still regret I didn't put in 20.

I thought I would find a civilian job doing the same thing.

No such luck. They want me and others in the same boat to go back to square one and start training all over again.

Reply to this post

Response to usaf-vet (Reply #18)

Wed Aug 18, 2021, 10:35 AM

19. Yes, same thing with my brother who was an Army medic stationed in Korea in the 70's.

He absolutely loved it and hoped to follow up with a career in medicine. But hit the same walls you did.
He thought about going to med school, but instead decided to use the GI bill to get an engineering degree.
That worked out well for him, it was a lucrative specialized engineering degree. He could work three months out of the year and have a vacation for the rest of year. And his engineering work was on and in the water which he loves.

Reply to this post

Response to Irish_Dem (Reply #19)

Wed Aug 18, 2021, 11:42 AM

21. Interesting I followed the same path with the GI bill pick up a couple of degrees but mine was...

.... was biology. Still thinking of medical school if possible. A turn of fate put me in a graduate program working for the USDA. One day this box with a rainbow label showed in the lab. It sat there for months until I asked the lab director what it was. He said he had no idea it was sent from Washington open it up.

I open the box, and it was an Apple II with two floppy drives, a VGA monitor, and a book for programming in BASIC.

Two points I was doing field research in Wisconsin. We gathered data in the summer months. When winter set in, we would organize the raw data and get in line for access to the campus computer. We would punch cards and wait weeks for our opportunity to run them.

That winter, I worked at teaching myself how to write software. I managed to write a program in BASIC that allowed me to crunch my data on the Apple II. The first year we ran the data on the campus mainframe and the same raw data on the Apple II. We got the same results (after a couple of tweaks) of my program.

So the long and short of the story is when I returned to my hometown (married with a son), I started to look for a job as a field biologist without much luck unless we wanted to move.

Then fate really kicked in. I saw an ad in the local paper for a class that was being run to "explorer" using a personal computer. I attended and found that the instructor was just learning himself and had trouble fielding some of the questions. At one of the breaks, I told him I had answers to several of the questions. If he wanted, I would be willing to help him with the afternoon session.

After the class was over, he asked me if I had a college degree, and I told him yes. His response was, do you need a job?
It turned out he worked for an educational agency that provided service to public schools. At that time, there was high demand for teaching the teachers about using computers in the classroom. He hired me a week later. So starting in 1979, I spent the next 30 years retiring in 2010 as a computer consultant to public schools.

I never spent one day as a trained degreed biologist.

Reply to this post

Response to usaf-vet (Reply #21)

Wed Aug 18, 2021, 11:56 AM

22. What a story! You had the foresight to see the future of technology.

You also had an inborn talent and interest in it. And a real knack for jumping in when opportunity presented itself.

I think that both you and my brother benefited a great deal from a stint as a military medic prior to attending college.
The maturity and good judgement are quite apparent.

Reply to this post

Response to Irish_Dem (Reply #22)

Wed Aug 18, 2021, 12:19 PM

23. I have always felt that the military was a life lesson. The other thing was that I have always...

.... been an independent learner. I was a lousy HS Student. But the minute I was sent to medics school I excelled.

Over my 74 years anytime I wanted to learn something new for fun or improving my skills. I would pick up a book and work my way through it.

Now with the advent of YouTube, it opens many worlds to anyone who has an interest. Hardly any day goes by that I don't search out a YouTube site to help me through my latest task or provide a direct solution to a problem I am having.

Two questions did your dad fly after the wars? And does your brother still work?

Reply to this post

Response to usaf-vet (Reply #23)

Wed Aug 18, 2021, 12:37 PM

24. Same thing with my brother.

He didn't apply himself in HS. But he is an avid reader and just picks up a book and can learn anything.
He is self taught on many topics.

Same with my brother, he loved medic training, and excelled. Loved doing the work and loved being in the clinics.

No, my dad never flew again. Three wars was enough for him. He never saw flying as recreation. It was a job,
and a very dangerous one. I think he figured he had escaped death enough for one lifetime. He should have been killed flying the Burma Hump, but somehow survived. He should have been killed flying into North Viet Nam, but made it.

My brother is a bit eccentric. He did retire, sold everything, bought a boat and sailed the world. Ended up on a South Pacific island, which he loves and just lives on his boat there now. He is active in volunteer work, during the Cat 5 storm a couple of years ago he provided emergency medical care to islanders (using his military medic training) and also helped re-build infrastructure (engineering skills.).

Reply to this post

Response to Irish_Dem (Reply #24)

Wed Aug 18, 2021, 12:59 PM

25. I would gladly go visit him on his boat. LOL.

Nice talking to you. We can stay in touch via the built-in mail system in DU. I'll send you one later today.

Reply to this post

Response to usaf-vet (Reply #25)

Wed Aug 18, 2021, 01:03 PM

26. Great thanks!

Look forward to hearing from you.

Reply to this post

Wed Aug 18, 2021, 06:59 AM

6. This is very important on several levels.

Rachel fleshes it out in another thread entitled,

"The Awkward Trumpy Truth About Afghanistan's Likely New Taliban Leader - Rachel Maddow - MSNBC" and brought to you by

Rhiannon12866. Yeah Rhiannon12866.

Reply to this post

Wed Aug 18, 2021, 07:13 AM

7. Truth will out but it will now compete with the

propaganda

Reply to this post

Wed Aug 18, 2021, 08:38 AM

11. TFG is a mob boss. nothing more, nothing less.

a fucking mob boss.

Reply to this post

Wed Aug 18, 2021, 08:41 AM

12. Hard to say who hates women more: TFG or the taliban.

Reply to this post

Response to lindysalsagal (Reply #12)

Wed Aug 18, 2021, 09:01 AM

15. There is no daylight between the two.

Reply to this post

Wed Aug 18, 2021, 10:37 AM

20. I wonder if Trump is profiting off of it or was attempting to

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread