HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Billie Jean King Needed H...

Fri Dec 3, 2021, 11:31 PM

Billie Jean King Needed Hospital Approval and Husband's Signature to Get an Abortion: 'Degrading'

https://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/celebrity/billie-jean-king-needed-hospital-approval-and-husband-s-signature-to-get-an-abortion-degrading/ar-AARrgR9

King was "fortunate" to live in California at the time, she said, where abortion was already legal, two years before the 1973 Roe v. Wade decision. But she had to prove that the procedure was "therapeutic" and had to be done by a doctor in a hospital.

"Anyone seeking an abortion had to obtain approval from a hospital committee that is, tell a panel of strangers why they believed their pregnancy would 'gravely impair' their physical and mental health," she said. "Arguing to a dozen or so people I had never met why I qualified for an abortion remains one of the most degrading experiences of my life."

Plus, King said, the law required the "indignity" of having her husband sign a consent form, approving her abortion.

"Men remained in charge of not just financial matters but even the right to govern my own body," she said.

6 replies, 913 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 6 replies Author Time Post
Reply Billie Jean King Needed Hospital Approval and Husband's Signature to Get an Abortion: 'Degrading' (Original post)
Demovictory9 Dec 3 OP
KentuckyWoman Dec 4 #1
MineralMan Dec 4 #5
Solly Mack Dec 4 #2
Hekate Dec 4 #3
DLevine Dec 4 #4
MineralMan Dec 4 #6

Response to Demovictory9 (Original post)

Sat Dec 4, 2021, 01:40 AM

1. early 1974 and again in 1976

We lived about 30 miles from the WV line in eastern Kentucky. I had pregnancies that went bad. I had to go to Louisville for an abortion. My husband naturally drove me but thank goodness he did. We did not know until we arrived at the clinic that he had to sign permission.

I don't know what they did for women who either could not produce a husband or else had a crappy one that would just as soon let her die.

As recently as 2005 when we bought the car I am driving now - at a different dealership the idiot salesman insisted on talking to my husband instead of me. I was the one buying the car. After 10 min of this my husband told him off and we left. If he hadn't, I would have.

My mothers generation fought too hard. I fought too hard so women could make their own decisions. There is no way I'm going to let the likes of wackos like Judge Amy take any of that away. I am 80. I don't have a lot that will be left when I leave this world but if I have to, I'll leave it all to whoever is running the women's underground.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to KentuckyWoman (Reply #1)

Sat Dec 4, 2021, 09:42 AM

5. Good for you in leaving that dealership.

My wife and I had a similar experience in 2012. The salesperson kept talking to me, until I said, "You're going to want to talk to the person who will be signing the check, not to me." He got the point and changed his focus.

Reply to this post

Sat Dec 4, 2021, 01:55 AM

2. K&R

Reply to this post

Sat Dec 4, 2021, 02:47 AM

3. KnR

Reply to this post

Sat Dec 4, 2021, 06:20 AM

4. K&R. nt

Reply to this post

Sat Dec 4, 2021, 09:43 AM

6. K&R. Yes. I remember those days.

Ugh!

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread