HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » "Ukraine war: 'My city's ...

Fri Mar 4, 2022, 08:41 PM

"Ukraine war: 'My city's being shelled, but mum won't believe me'"

(Looks like some Russian people are like Trump supporters - believers in "fake news" and propaganda):

"When I heard the first explosions, I ran out of the house to get my dogs from their enclosures outside. People were panicking, abandoning their cars. I was so scared," she says.

The 25-year-old has been speaking regularly to her mother, who lives in Moscow. But in these conversations, and even after sending videos from her heavily bombarded hometown, Oleksandra is unable to convince her mother about the danger she is in.

"I didn't want to scare my parents, but I started telling them directly that civilians and children are dying," she says.

"But even though they worry about me, they still say it probably happens only by accident, that the Russian army would never target civilians. That it's Ukrainians who're killing their own people."

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-60600487?xtor=AL-72-%5Bpartner%5D-%5Bbbc.news.twitter%5D-%5Bheadline%5D-%5Bnews%5D-%5Bbizdev%5D-%5Bisapi%5D&at_custom4=75CA3D38-9B8E-11EC-99E0-BBF14744363C&at_custom1=%5Bpost+type%5D&at_medium=custom7&at_campaign=64&at_custom2=twitter&at_custom3=%40BBCWorld

2 replies, 534 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 2 replies Author Time Post
Reply "Ukraine war: 'My city's being shelled, but mum won't believe me'" (Original post)
phylny Mar 2022 OP
smirkymonkey Mar 2022 #1
secondwind Mar 2022 #2

Response to phylny (Original post)

Fri Mar 4, 2022, 08:44 PM

1. How horrible! To be undergoing that kind of trauma and at the same time to have your

own family doubt your reality. Talk about adding insult to injury.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to phylny (Original post)

Sat Mar 5, 2022, 03:34 AM

2. Years and years of conditioning, and little access to the outside world.

They might just as well be robots.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread