HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » not sure if this has been...

Thu Jul 14, 2022, 02:57 PM

not sure if this has been discussed around here -

I attended a professional meeting in another country last week.

At one point, I was having breakfast with a good friend and colleague who works in another state - a state in which the right to abortion is now sharply limited.

According to my friend, admissions staff at his university are starting to see a real impact on the applicant pool.

It's a large, public research university whose students are drawn primarily from that state, but it's prestigious enough that quite a few students from other states (and from abroad) go there.

They're seeing a sizable number of women from states without limited abortion access withdraw their applications. There's a surprisingly large number of women from in-state doing the same thing, hoping to apply for schools where their reproductive rights aren't under such acute assault.

I sent an email to some administrators at my university. Our state doesn't ban abortion yet, but it almost certainly will in the very near future. And like my friend's institution, ours attracts applicants from out of state - mostly from a neighboring state that isn't going to be banning abortion any time soon.

I don't know if this will be a problem at my university, but I can easily see how it might be.

I've wondered about what laws banning reproductive health care would do for companies that hire highly-educated women from across the country. I also wondered what would happen to our efforts to recruit high-end applicants for faculty openings, though our budget is so tight right now, there aren't many such openings. It didn't occur to me that this would impact the demographics of college admissions - and to my shame, I have to admit that it should have.

Anyone else in academia noticing anything like this?

15 replies, 737 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread

Response to cab67 (Original post)

Thu Jul 14, 2022, 03:01 PM

1. Sounds like they're only too happy to rid their states of us "liberal vermin"

They are going to definitely have to look elsewhere if they need real problems solve and of course they’ll come to the federal government for money

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Walleye (Reply #1)

Thu Jul 14, 2022, 03:11 PM

5. Not sure that's true.

It could easily hit these states in the wallet. If fewer students enroll in public universities, less tuition will be coming in. If top female faculty leave these institutions, they'll take their grant dollars with them - that, and the prestige that comes from hosting an institution at which such high-caliber scholars have chosen to work.

It's no different from what businesses might face. Qualified women might refuse to move to a state with no reproductive health access. Others from in-state may decide to relocate. If trends continue and states are allowed to ban birth control or LGBTQ rights, I don't think tax incentives will be enough to keep some companies in the state.

Reply to this post

Response to cab67 (Reply #5)

Thu Jul 14, 2022, 03:15 PM

7. I don't think the religious fanatics making the laws care about any of that

You would think they would do what is in their own self interest as a state but but ...

Reply to this post

Response to Walleye (Reply #7)

Thu Jul 14, 2022, 03:25 PM

11. the rich fuckers who fund them might, tho.

esp if there's a building named after them on campus.

Reply to this post

Response to mopinko (Reply #11)

Thu Jul 14, 2022, 03:27 PM

12. They will have to eventually come around but it's gonna take some time

They are now enjoying the warm fuzzy feeling of protecting every fetus in the country

Reply to this post

Response to Walleye (Reply #12)

Thu Jul 14, 2022, 03:29 PM

13. doubt it. roe was a trojan horse.

it's the epa case that warms their black hearts.

Reply to this post

Thu Jul 14, 2022, 03:05 PM

2. I suspect this is going to bite

a lot of people and businesses and others in the ass that SCOTUS didn't think about because they were wearing red blinders that said MAGA.

Reply to this post

Thu Jul 14, 2022, 03:05 PM

3. My Daughter will be looking for a University Faculty job this fall

She has a PhD in a STEM field from a prestigious university and has been doing post-doc research for the past three years (in a blue state).

I am quite sure that she would choose to stay at the post-doc for another year rather than taking a position in Texas, Florida, etc.

Their great loss.

The brain drain is and will be very real.

Reply to this post

Response to Chin music (Reply #4)

Thu Jul 14, 2022, 03:16 PM

8. Yep. Welcome to college life in the 60s

Reply to this post

Response to Walleye (Reply #8)

Response to Chin music (Reply #9)

Thu Jul 14, 2022, 03:24 PM

10. 👆

Reply to this post

Thu Jul 14, 2022, 03:11 PM

6. Not just businesses, but universities all over the country too, I am sure

I remember how it felt to be in my 20s. I always said I'd get an abortion if needed because there was no way I was derailing my education and life's plans at that stage of my life. I went to a state university and didn't have the resources to choose an out of state college, but if I did, and this had happened, I'd likely not attend in a state where abortion was illegal.

This is a big issue especially for young women who are college-age or a little older who aren't already set in their careers and/or settled with a partner.

I planned never to allow a pregnancy to derail my young adult life before it became established.

Reply to this post

Thu Jul 14, 2022, 03:36 PM

14. I have a friend whose daughter is at Alabama

She's a rising senior, they're not sure she's going there this Fall, she's looking at transfer options.

It's going to become risky for women to live in these states, and eventually risky to even travel through them if the Right gets their way with travel restrictions on pregnant women. Find our you're pregnant in Oklahoma, they might hold you until you give birth regardless of where you live. This is heading to Gillead, that's what the Republicans want. Pregnant women imprisoned and forced to let the state have control over them.

Reply to this post

Thu Jul 14, 2022, 04:00 PM

15. Dear Lord -

The red states' people are gonna get even dumber.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread