HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Trump vows to enforce fed...

Sat May 6, 2017, 02:07 PM

Trump vows to enforce federal laws RE: state-legal weed, citing his "constitutional responsibility"

WASHINGTON President Donald Trump told Congress Friday that he might release detainees held at the Guantanamo Bay prison for suspected terrorists, despite legislation that prohibits transfers of prisoners.

He also said he would not feel bound by a restriction in a new spending law that prohibits spending money to enforce federal marijuana laws in states where the drug is legal for medical purposes.

***SNIP***

He made a similar observation about the limit on enforcing federal marijuana laws. "I will treat this provision consistently with my constitutional responsibility to take care that the laws be faithfully executed," he said.

Marijuana is illegal under federal law, but 28 states permit its use as medicine.

http://www.rawstory.com/2017/05/trump-says-he-might-not-obey-guantanamo-and-marijuana-provisions-in-spending-law/

11 replies, 3903 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 11 replies Author Time Post
Reply Trump vows to enforce federal laws RE: state-legal weed, citing his "constitutional responsibility" (Original post)
Miles Archer May 2017 OP
Calculating May 2017 #1
drm604 May 2017 #2
Calculating May 2017 #3
ProudLib72 May 2017 #4
WePurrsevere May 2017 #5
Miles Archer May 2017 #8
WePurrsevere May 2017 #10
Adsos Letter May 2017 #11
WinstonSmith00 May 2017 #6
Princess Turandot May 2017 #7
jmowreader May 2017 #9

Response to Miles Archer (Original post)

Sat May 6, 2017, 02:12 PM

1. Title is somewhat inaccurate

He doesn't really say that in direct words. Until something bad actually happens on this issue I'm just going to assume more media scaremongering. I mean Trump is dumb, but actually going after weed would be cranking the 'stupid throttle' up a whole extra notch. He'd literally gain NOTHING from it and lose a bunch of support.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Sat May 6, 2017, 02:14 PM

2. So he'll violite the constitution in order to uphold the constitution.

Reply to this post

Response to drm604 (Reply #2)

Sat May 6, 2017, 02:15 PM

3. I guess

The whole statement doesn't make any sense. "I'll ignore laws passed by congress and do what I want, in order to protect the Constitution". I feel like Trump is going more senile by the day.

Reply to this post

Sat May 6, 2017, 02:18 PM

4. Since when is he so fucking concerned

with upholding the fucking constitution? He's been in violation of it since day one.

Reply to this post

Sat May 6, 2017, 03:11 PM

5. Who fed him this line?...

"I will treat this provision consistently with my constitutional responsibility to take care that the laws be faithfully executed"

This doesn't sound like how Trump normally speaks so I'm going to guess that he's quoting lines someone told him to say.

Reply to this post

Response to WePurrsevere (Reply #5)

Sat May 6, 2017, 04:20 PM

8. Three guesses, and the first two don't count

Reply to this post

Response to Miles Archer (Reply #8)

Sat May 6, 2017, 05:42 PM

10. Yeah probably. Although the Mother's boy

has bigly lawyer words too.

I'm just pretty sure it's not the way Trump would've normally speak even on a good day.

Reply to this post

Response to Miles Archer (Reply #8)

Sat May 6, 2017, 06:06 PM

11. That was also my first thought.

And he comes from a state that is heavily into asset forfeiture.

Reply to this post

Sat May 6, 2017, 03:38 PM

6. It's time to change the law

And the 56 senators that represent these States need to do their job and represent the will of the people!

Reply to this post

Sat May 6, 2017, 04:07 PM

7. It's his standard mirror opposite speak....

The concept, if not the specific words. His E.O.'s have been cited for violating the Constitution, so he claims to be its great defender. Like he's women's greatest champion, instead of an abuser.

Reply to this post

Sat May 6, 2017, 04:37 PM

9. Ah yes, the old Ben Tre Gambit

Ben Tre City was the subject of the infamous line, "it became necessary to destroy the town to save it." Trump's strategy seems to be to keep the illegal immigrants away by making America so bad they won't want to come here.

And...uhhh...wasn't this guy one of the loudest whiners after President Obama traded Gitmo detainees for Bowe Bergdahl?

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread