HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Such a missed opportunity

Sun May 21, 2017, 07:55 PM

Such a missed opportunity

By Quintan Wiktorowicz
May 21 at 12:03 PM

... Two decades ago, I spent nine months with one of the ideological founders of the jihadist movement in Jordan ... I was an academic and wanted to understand what motivated his network of followers to violence. I learned firsthand about a radical ideology that promotes an apocalyptic war with the West and total domination ...

Most jihadists, I found, know little to nothing about Islam ...

Islamist extremists are much more likely to have degrees in engineering, science and medicine than in disciplines related to Islam, and at least a few had to buy “Islam for Dummies” to learn about their own religion ...

The vast majority of young people in places like the Middle East and North Africa face a bleak socioeconomic future ...

... this socioeconomic crisis ... represents a fundamental breakdown of the social contract in the region ...

... For many, the appeal of extremist groups is not religious duty, conviction or ideology. It is the promise of empowerment, regained dignity and (ironically) hope ...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/acts-of-faith/wp/2017/05/21/why-trumps-speech-on-terrorism-was-such-a-missed-opportunity/?utm_term=.8a487600d16e

0 replies, 2065 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Reply to this thread