HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » Mark Zuckerberg has dropp...

Fri Jan 27, 2017, 03:04 PM

Mark Zuckerberg has dropped his lawsuits that would compel Hawaiians to sell their land

Source: Yahoo

Mark Zuckerberg is officially dropping the lawsuits he filed against hundreds of Hawaiians that would compel them to sell their inherited "kuleana" land.

Zuckerberg and his wife Priscilla Chan announced the news in an open letter printed in the Kauai newspaper The Garden Island on Friday.

"We've heard from many in the community and learned more about the cultural and historical significance of this land," the Facebook CEO wrote. "Over the past week, we've spoken with community leaders and shared that our intention is to achieve an outcome that preserves the environment, respects local traditions, and is fair to those with kuleana lands."

"To find a better path forward, we are dropping our quiet title actions and will work together with the community on a new approach," he continued. "We understand that for native Hawaiians, kuleana are sacred and the quiet title process can be difficult. We want to make this right, talk with the community, and find a better approach."

Read more: Mark Zuckerberg has dropped his lawsuits that would compel Hawaiians to sell their land

7 replies, 2132 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 7 replies Author Time Post
Reply Mark Zuckerberg has dropped his lawsuits that would compel Hawaiians to sell their land (Original post)
NWCorona Jan 2017 OP
OregonBlue Jan 2017 #1
ret5hd Jan 2017 #2
Joe Chi Minh Jan 2017 #3
Bernardo de La Paz Jan 2017 #6
Joe Chi Minh Jan 2017 #7
Joe Chi Minh Jan 2017 #4
4Q2u2 Jan 2017 #5

Response to NWCorona (Original post)

Fri Jan 27, 2017, 03:29 PM

1. He is only doing this because he wants to run for president. Don't trust him.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Fri Jan 27, 2017, 03:29 PM

2. He continued "I want to BE an asshole, I just don't want to be SEEN as an asshole!"

Reply to this post

Fri Jan 27, 2017, 03:53 PM

3. What is it that's special about facebook ? Weren't people able

to communicate in the same way before in chat rooms and on forums ?

Reply to this post

Response to Joe Chi Minh (Reply #3)

Fri Jan 27, 2017, 05:12 PM

6. No. Not the same way. That's the whole point, duh. It's very different.

There is the 'news feed' and the feed for 'friends'.

The simplest most obvious thing of the features that makes it so different is that it is notification driven.

Have you ever been on Facebook?

Reply to this post

Response to Bernardo de La Paz (Reply #6)

Mon Jan 30, 2017, 11:11 AM

7. Thanks for the gen. I had gathered it had to be different, and you appear to

have realised that. You mean 'notification' as in blogs, when someone responds, as we are ?

Somehow I missed you remarks abiout 'feeds', which I think answers my questions. I can see the appeal of a dynamic interplay between news and gibber between pals and perhaps not so pally.

Reply to this post

Fri Jan 27, 2017, 03:57 PM

4. "We want to make this right, talk with the community, and find a better approach."

So, he still wants to go ahead with it, just convince them that he can be charming and friendly while he's doing it ? Or am I reading this wrong ?

Reply to this post

Fri Jan 27, 2017, 04:04 PM

5. Yes better approach

Translation: behind the scenes, quietly.
Over 690 acres in Hawaii is not enough. That should tell you a lot about him.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread