HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » South Korean Leader's All...

Thu Jan 31, 2019, 04:02 AM

South Korean Leader's Ally Convicted of Illegal Pre-Election Influence Campaign

Source: New York Times

A close political ally of President Moon Jae-in of South Korea was sentenced to two years in prison on Wednesday for conspiring with bloggers to illegally influence public opinion before Mr. Moonís election in 2017.

The politician, Gov. Kim Kyoung-soo of South Gyeongsang Province in the countryís southeast, was taken to prison shortly after Seoul Central District Court convicted and sentenced him on Wednesday.

No evidence has emerged that Mr. Moon was aware of Mr. Kimís activities. But the verdict is a political setback for the president, for whom Mr. Kim was a key adviser during the 2017 presidential campaign, in which Mr. Moon ran as a champion of clean politics.

Mr. Kim was accused of working with a blogger named Kim Dong-won, known widely by his alias, Druking, to sway online opinion in favor of Mr. Moon, both before and after the election.

Read more: http://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/30/world/asia/south-korea-president-moon-jae-in.html?smid=tw-nytimes&smtyp=cur

1 replies, 461 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 1 replies Author Time Post
Reply South Korean Leader's Ally Convicted of Illegal Pre-Election Influence Campaign (Original post)
Yosemito Jan 2019 OP
soryang Jan 2019 #1

Response to Yosemito (Original post)

Thu Jan 31, 2019, 12:19 PM

1. That's odd

I always interpreted the handle as TruKing not DruKing, in an obvious appeal to the right wing audience in South Korea. The coverage I saw in the Korean media depended on whether it was a conservative source or a more liberal source like JTBC News. This whole thing looked like a sting operation with a right wing political objective from the outset.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread