HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » In blow to Democrats, Rep...

Tue Nov 2, 2021, 11:38 PM

In blow to Democrats, Republican Youngkin wins Virginia governor's race, NBC News projects

Source: NBC News

In blow to Democrats, Republican Glenn Youngkin defeated Democrat Terry McAuliffe in Virginia's high-profile election for governor Tuesday, NBC News projects, flipping control of a state that President Joe Biden won handily just a year ago and suggesting trouble for his party in next year's midterm elections.

The GOP victory, powered by robust turnout in conservative rural counties, improved support in the suburbs, and a message focused on the economy and alleged anti-white bias in school curriculum, will likely serve as a blueprint for Republicans looking to recapture the House and Senate next year.

Youngkin, a former private equity executive and political newcomer, kept just enough distance former President Donald Trump while keeping his base engaged. McAuliffe, meanwhile, was weighed down by his party's post-Trump political fatigue, along with Biden's sinking poll numbers and gridlocked agenda in Washington, but ran a campaign that included damaging gaffes and, critics say, was overly reliant on trying to tie Youngkin to Trump.

Read more: https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/elections/polls-close-soon-virginia-s-closely-watched-gubernatorial-election-n1283066

39 replies, 4387 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 39 replies Author Time Post
Reply In blow to Democrats, Republican Youngkin wins Virginia governor's race, NBC News projects (Original post)
Polybius Nov 2 OP
Steelrolled Nov 2 #1
IronLionZion Nov 3 #16
The Mouth Nov 3 #26
orangecrush Nov 3 #24
Steelrolled Nov 3 #32
Fiendish Thingy Nov 2 #2
Traildogbob Nov 3 #3
SouthBayDem Nov 3 #4
Polybius Nov 3 #6
Bucky Nov 3 #13
monkeyman1 Nov 3 #30
Jon King Nov 3 #5
malletgirl02 Nov 3 #8
Bucky Nov 3 #14
BonnieJW Nov 3 #20
mahatmakanejeeves Nov 3 #23
andym Nov 3 #7
ananda Nov 3 #9
SouthernDem4ever Nov 3 #10
LenaBaby61 Nov 3 #27
jcmaine72 Nov 3 #11
monkeyman1 Nov 3 #31
PBC_Democrat Nov 3 #12
Steelrolled Nov 3 #21
CTyankee Nov 3 #22
Calista241 Nov 3 #15
COL Mustard Nov 3 #17
orangecrush Nov 3 #25
IronLionZion Nov 3 #18
Moebym Nov 3 #33
IronLionZion Nov 3 #34
Deminpenn Nov 4 #36
IronLionZion Nov 4 #38
turbinetree Nov 3 #19
UCmeNdc Nov 3 #28
OneCrazyDiamond Nov 3 #29
Polybius Nov 4 #35
Deminpenn Nov 4 #37
OneCrazyDiamond Nov 4 #39

Response to Polybius (Original post)

Tue Nov 2, 2021, 11:47 PM

1. The school curriculum issues created the path to defeat (IMHO).

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Steelrolled (Reply #1)

Wed Nov 3, 2021, 07:34 AM

16. Those issues were completely made up out of pure BS

and it worked. No one on the right can even explain what the issue is or what they are opposing.

Reply to this post

Response to IronLionZion (Reply #16)

Wed Nov 3, 2021, 11:50 AM

26. Silver platter

https://www.yahoo.com/now/mcauliffe-says-parents-shouldn-t-173500644.html

"I’m not going to let parents come into schools and actually take books out and make their own decision,” McAuliffe said. “I don’t think parents should be telling schools what they should teach.”

About the dumbest thing I have heard a candidate (besides Trump) say in a long, long while.

Not that I am on the right, or explaining. But ultimate self-own.

If I were a parent this would piss me off bigtime, even if I liked the candidate and inherently trusted the teachers and administration in my district.

Reply to this post

Response to Steelrolled (Reply #1)

Wed Nov 3, 2021, 11:41 AM

24. Welcome to DU

Reply to this post

Response to orangecrush (Reply #24)

Wed Nov 3, 2021, 05:17 PM

32. Thanks!

Reply to this post

Tue Nov 2, 2021, 11:58 PM

2. The President's party ALWAYS loses the VA gov race the year after a new president is elected

This year is no different than 1977, 1981,1989, 1993, 2001, 2009, 2017.

People are overthinking this WAAAY too much.

Reply to this post

Response to Fiendish Thingy (Reply #2)

Wed Nov 3, 2021, 12:11 AM

3. The media

Is controlling that thinking. The world is ending, the most bland Dem possible lost to a trumper. 😱😱😱😱😱😱😱😱😱😱😱😱😱😱😱😱😱😱😱😱😱😱😱😱😱😱😱😱😱😱😱😱😱😱😱😱😱😱😱

Reply to this post

Wed Nov 3, 2021, 12:26 AM

4. Exactly! Plus, 2009 was worse.

In 2008, Obama won 52% of the vote in Virginia. But in 2009, Bob McDonnell (R) defeated Creigh Deeds (D) for governor with 58% of the vote.

Barring a miracle, Youngkin will finish with around 51% - a rather slim majority compared to George Allen getting 58% in '93, Jim Gilmore getting 56% in '97, and McDonnell's 58% in '09.

Virginia's tradition of swing voting date back to the '50s. For much of its early history Virginia had Democrats dominate its state politics in lockstep with the rest of the South. But from 1952 to 2004 the Republican won all but one presidential election there - the lone exception being LBJ's 1964 landslide. Yet Virginia still elected Democrats in most gubernatorial elections (except 1969, 1973, 1977, 1993, 1997). By 1972, Virginia elected its first post-Reconstruction Republican to the Senate in William L. Scott; Republican John Warner would succeed him and hold that seat for near 30 years before current Senator Mark Warner (a Democrat and no relation).

I don't know how many people in the media bothered looking up "political party strength in Virginia". What irks me about the news media is its lack of serious, long term thinking.

Reply to this post

Response to SouthBayDem (Reply #4)

Wed Nov 3, 2021, 12:36 AM

6. 51% or 58% matters little to me

A loss is a loss.

Reply to this post

Response to Polybius (Reply #6)

Wed Nov 3, 2021, 06:49 AM

13. Right, that difference only matters if you care about performance.

Reply to this post

Wed Nov 3, 2021, 04:06 PM

30. agreed 10x !! the media & all these tabloid non- journalism !

Reply to this post

Wed Nov 3, 2021, 12:33 AM

5. This was about school closures due to Covid.

Lots has been made about the CRT and trans kids but it came down to anger about the school closures due to Covid. The Atlantic has a great article about this.

People can argue about how it could have been handled differently. In the end the teachers simply would not do in person learning and who could blame them. But parents did not want to hear this. Work schedules were destroyed, suburban moms pushed out of the workforce.

Youngkin took the anger about Covid closures and rolled it right into CRT and parents rights to decide the curriculum. It was a perfect issue for him and gave him the suburbs.

Of course other factors such as Dem voter fatigue and Biden's low approval among indies did not help.

Reply to this post

Response to Jon King (Reply #5)

Wed Nov 3, 2021, 01:05 AM

8. So they vote

for Trump's party, the guy who let it spread , and cause the school closures. Also the very same party that is against Covid mitigation practices that leads to continued spread. Real good job Virginia parents.

Reply to this post

Response to malletgirl02 (Reply #8)

Wed Nov 3, 2021, 06:50 AM

14. The Five Laws of Stupidity

Reply to this post

Response to Jon King (Reply #5)

Wed Nov 3, 2021, 08:51 AM

20. All of the repub governors in Virginia have been terrible

Nt

Reply to this post

Response to BonnieJW (Reply #20)

Wed Nov 3, 2021, 10:52 AM

23. Tim Kaine might beg to differ.

Linwood Holton

{snip}

Political career

Holton was active in the Republican Party when it barely existed in Virginia. He was one of the leading Republicans who fought the Byrd Organization during the three decades it dominated Virginia politics.

In 1965, Holton ran for governor as the Republican candidate and was defeated by Democrat Mills E. Godwin Jr. In 1969, Holton won 52.51% of the vote in the gubernatorial election, defeating Democrat William C. Battle, Virginia Conservative Beverly B. McDowell, American Independent William A. Pennington, and Independent George R. Walker. He became the first Republican governor of Virginia since 1869.

Holton at Virginia Tech in 1971

In 1970, when desegregation was an issue in Virginia, Holton voluntarily placed his children, including future First Lady Anne Holton, in the mostly-black Richmond Public Schools, garnering much publicity.

As governor, he increased employment of blacks and women in state government, created the Virginia Governor's Schools Program in 1973, provided the first state funds for community mental health centers, and supported environmental efforts.

A moderate Republican, Holton was against welcoming conservative Byrd Democrats into the Virginia Republican Party. As the GOP moved increasingly rightward, it turned its back on Holton. When Harry F. Byrd Jr. broke ranks with the increasingly liberal national Democrats and ran as an independent for the Senate in 1970, Holton insisted on running a Republican candidate rather than endorsing an independent. That eventually led to the nomination of Ray Garland. Byrd went on to win the three-way election with an absolute majority.

Holton also encouraged a moderate Republican to run in the special election in 1971 to choose a successor for deceased Lieutenant Governor J. Sargeant Reynolds, an election that was won by another independent, populist Henry Howell.

Holton was not eligible to run in 1973, as Virginia does not allow governors to serve consecutive terms. In 1973, Mills Godwin, the conservative former Democrat who had defeated Holton in the 1965 election, was the Republican nominee. Godwin had supported massive resistance to racial integration and had first identified himself as a Republican in his speech accepting the Virginia Republican convention's nomination for governor.

Later life

Following his term as governor, Holton served one year in the Nixon Administration as the Assistant Secretary of State for Congressional Relations. After leaving Washington, he practiced law as a shareholder at McCandlish Holton, P.C. He later served as President of the Center for Innovative Technology.

Holton later unsuccessfully sought the Republican nomination for the United States Senate in 1978, finishing third in a race against Richard D. Obenshain, John Warner, and Nathan H. Miller. Warner subsequently became the nominee after Obenshain's death in a plane crash.

After his retirement, Holton supported moderate Republicans, including John Warner. As the Virginia Republican Party became more conservative, however, he found himself more in line with the state Democratic Party and endorsed several Democrats for statewide office, including his son-in-law, Governor Tim Kaine. Holton endorsed Barack Obama in the 2008 presidential election.

{snip}

Reply to this post

Wed Nov 3, 2021, 12:42 AM

7. Wedge issues, Biden's weakness in the polls, and Trump not present to demonize

were they keys to this election loss. The GOP loves wedge issues, like CRT, and they work to some extent when there are no stronger issues to counterbalance them. If Joe Biden was as popular as he was in July he could have helped, but much less so now. Trump did not make a direct appearance in the state, which helped the Republican candidate. Together these factors led to the loss.

Reply to this post

Wed Nov 3, 2021, 04:25 AM

9. Creepy

This appears to have something to do with messaging
and white comfort.

Virginia appears to be basically a confederate state
when push comes to shove.

Nobody can see past their noses when white suburbanites
feel a little less than comfortable about some privilege taken
away or policy that is designed to help but means some
discomfort along the way.

Those people have literally lost their minds electing Republicans
who will literally make things exponentially worse.

Of course, this must be what the power mad greedmongers
want, hence the problem with “messaging.”

Dems never seem to be able to mount an effective counter
to Republican attacks that play into white supremacy and
giving corporations and the rich what they want.

And we will ALL suffer for it.

Reply to this post

Wed Nov 3, 2021, 04:32 AM

10. Virginians are the biggest losers here

They are losers in the fact they voted to flirt with the loss of their voting rights. Very Stupid!

Reply to this post

Response to SouthernDem4ever (Reply #10)

Wed Nov 3, 2021, 02:05 PM

27. THIS 👆🏻👆🏻👆🏻

Reply to this post

Wed Nov 3, 2021, 04:52 AM

11. It's a blow to Virginia and its citizens

They now have to live in a state governed by a racist shit bag.

Reply to this post

Response to jcmaine72 (Reply #11)

Wed Nov 3, 2021, 04:09 PM

31. don't vote ! pay the price ! no -pity ! live with it !

Reply to this post

Wed Nov 3, 2021, 06:43 AM

12. My Concern is that even with Top Shelf help ...

McAuliffe couldn't win it.

The party brought in every big name Democrat (except Pres Carter) and still didn't win.

McAuliffe underperformed in nearly every country.

Reply to this post

Response to PBC_Democrat (Reply #12)

Wed Nov 3, 2021, 08:59 AM

21. I really wonder how much it helps to bring in "big names"

I don't they mean much to the non-political people that one is trying to reach.

Reply to this post

Response to PBC_Democrat (Reply #12)

Wed Nov 3, 2021, 10:27 AM

22. I hate to say this but McAuliffe came across to me as kind of annoying. It was not his message so

much as his way of delivering that message. Where eagerness can be a definite asset to a candidate, he seemed overly so. And not in a good way. Maybe exuberant to some. Mine was a "gut reaction" I chalked it up to a stylistic difference. I would gladly have voted to him but tbh, his style and delivery just exhausted me.

ymmv.

Reply to this post

Wed Nov 3, 2021, 07:17 AM

15. It was a sweep for the Repubs, which is what is so bad about this.

They won the VA House, the Lt Gov, and the Gov races. It wasn’t just a bland versus dynamic candidate issue.

Reply to this post

Wed Nov 3, 2021, 07:35 AM

17. No Matter How Bad Last Night Was...And It Was Bad, Here In Virginia....

At least I didn't spend yesterday waiting in Dallas for a dead President and his dead son to reappear and restore TFG to office.

Just sayin'...there are still bright spots out there.

Reply to this post

Response to COL Mustard (Reply #17)

Wed Nov 3, 2021, 11:48 AM

25. ....

Reply to this post

Wed Nov 3, 2021, 07:38 AM

18. Trumpism won

since Youngkin was openly MAGA and tying him to Trump didn't hurt him as much as it should. Even though Trump himself stayed out, it was widely understood that this is the Trump candidate.

As much as DUers focused on the blue areas of the state, Youngkin did win more votes in the blue areas than he should have. He has ironically made inroads with some Dem constituencies that should have been ours.

Reply to this post

Response to IronLionZion (Reply #18)

Wed Nov 3, 2021, 06:08 PM

33. Seems to be a troubling trend.

Trump made inroads with traditionally Dem voting blocs in 2020 as well.

It's something that should be taken into account in future cycles.

Reply to this post

Response to Moebym (Reply #33)

Wed Nov 3, 2021, 07:22 PM

34. Great article if you have a WaPo subscription

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2021/11/03/virginia-votes-shift-democrats-republicans/

Basically Youngkin went all out on local issues that connect with people: price of groceries and parental involvement in schools.

McAuliffe is very experienced and Youngkin has never held any office, so people liked the fresh face. Anti-Trump sentiment has unfortunately died down since he's out of office. And Youngkin gained voters across even urban liberal areas among folks who think tax cuts might help them more than government spending. And he got a lot of first time voters.

Reply to this post

Response to IronLionZion (Reply #34)

Thu Nov 4, 2021, 04:15 AM

36. All politics is local

Local residents running local schools is a big deal.

This was a big issue in PA, too, but Gov Wolf managed to walk that line between what would be percieved as "over-reaching" and taking away "local control" of schools. This was especially acute last fall during high school football season when attendance at outdoor events was severly limited, but it has all died down, save for a few pockets of anti-maskers, now.

Reply to this post

Response to Deminpenn (Reply #36)

Thu Nov 4, 2021, 10:44 AM

38. I wish our party would do this better

McAuliffe's most important issue was paid family leave, which should have gotten more attention and won some more voters.

Reply to this post

Wed Nov 3, 2021, 08:08 AM

19. So my former home state followed the James M Buchannan BS

Last edited Wed Nov 3, 2021, 11:05 AM - Edit history (1)

yet again.....now all they had to do was add two complete wack jobs to run the state, dangerous ones at that....and for NBC to report that McAuliffe was trying to link trump with that Youngkin asshole and they were overly reliant....on trump fatigue.....what did you do NBC did you ever I repeat ever call out Youngkin for being a racists and backing a racists theory....nope , just like the rest of the media .......

Reply to this post

Wed Nov 3, 2021, 03:44 PM

28. Sad

Reply to this post

Wed Nov 3, 2021, 03:57 PM

29. This should have been a slam dunk.

Reply to this post

Response to OneCrazyDiamond (Reply #29)

Thu Nov 4, 2021, 12:26 AM

35. Or maybe some things that we support aren't as popular as we think

55% of Virginia voters wanted to keep Confederate monuments. Biden's approval rating was 43% in Virginia. That's what we were up against.

Reply to this post

Response to Polybius (Reply #35)

Thu Nov 4, 2021, 04:20 AM

37. Agree

And also up against the history of VA electing a governor of the opposite party in the year after a presidential election.

Reply to this post

Response to Polybius (Reply #35)

Thu Nov 4, 2021, 02:04 PM

39. That's the same argument Manchin uses.

We have power now, and should be using it to browbeat the QOP into non-existence. They will cheat us every chance they get.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread