HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » COVID Protection Wanes Af...

Thu Nov 25, 2021, 10:04 AM

COVID Protection Wanes After 2 Doses of Pfizer Vaccine: Study

Source: HealthDay News

Protection can gradually fade after a second dose of the COVID-19 vaccine by Pfizer-BioNTech, which suggests that a booster shot might be necessary, researchers report.

They analyzed data from more than 80,000 adults in Israel, average age 44, who had no previous evidence of infection and who had received a PCR test at least three weeks after their second shot of the two-dose Pfizer vaccine.

Across all age groups, 1.3% tested positive 21-89 days after a second dose, increasing to 2.4% after 90-119 days; 4.6% after 120-149 days; 10.3% after 150-179 days, and 15.5% after 180 days or more.

Compared with the first 90 days after a second dose, the risk of infection was 2.37-fold higher after 90-119 days; 2.66-fold higher after 120-149 days; 2.82-fold higher after 150-179 days, and 2.82-fold higher after 180 days or more.

Read more: https://www.usnews.com/news/health-news/articles/2021-11-25/covid-protection-wanes-after-2-doses-of-pfizer-vaccine-study

25 replies, 2889 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 25 replies Author Time Post
Reply COVID Protection Wanes After 2 Doses of Pfizer Vaccine: Study (Original post)
discocrisco01 Nov 25 OP
Ocelot II Nov 25 #1
FarPoint Nov 25 #3
Phoenix61 Nov 25 #2
mucifer Nov 25 #4
Lucky Luciano Nov 25 #6
Phoenix61 Nov 25 #17
Lucky Luciano Nov 25 #20
Phoenix61 Nov 25 #21
Phoenix61 Nov 25 #22
Sherman A1 Nov 25 #5
moniss Nov 25 #18
Hugh_Lebowski Nov 25 #7
Karma13612 Nov 25 #8
dem4decades Nov 25 #9
cadoman Nov 25 #12
Shermann Nov 25 #10
cadoman Nov 25 #11
Shermann Nov 25 #13
cadoman Nov 25 #14
Shermann Nov 25 #23
cadoman Nov 25 #24
Shermann Nov 25 #25
HUAJIAO Nov 25 #15
hamsterjill Nov 25 #16
orangecrush Nov 25 #19

Response to discocrisco01 (Original post)

Thu Nov 25, 2021, 10:05 AM

1. We know. That's why boosters are being offered.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Ocelot II (Reply #1)

Thu Nov 25, 2021, 10:08 AM

3. I sense the same with Moderna....

Well...I got dose 3 already.....this is a learning curve as well..... All 3 doses I received were Moderna.

Reply to this post

Thu Nov 25, 2021, 10:07 AM

2. That's still 84.5% effective after 6 months.

If everyone had gotten vaccinated in that time window the pandemic would be over.

Reply to this post

Response to Phoenix61 (Reply #2)

Thu Nov 25, 2021, 10:15 AM

4. That's considering 100% were exposed. We don't know that.

Reply to this post

Response to Phoenix61 (Reply #2)

Thu Nov 25, 2021, 10:18 AM

6. That's not 84.5% effective unless everyone was exposed to a big enough viral load.

Effectiveness is calculated relative to a control group of unvaccinated. If 15.5% of unvaccinated got infected, it would mean 0% effective.

Reply to this post

Response to Lucky Luciano (Reply #6)

Thu Nov 25, 2021, 01:34 PM

17. The control is vaccinated.

ďAcross all age groups, 1.3% tested positive 21-89 days after a second dose, increasing to 2.4% after 90-119 days; 4.6% after 120-149 days; 10.3% after 150-179 days, and 15.5% after 180 days or more. ď 84.5% of those tested 180 days after vaccination didnít have Covid.

Reply to this post

Response to Phoenix61 (Reply #17)

Thu Nov 25, 2021, 02:16 PM

20. No that's meaningless for measuring effectiveness of the vaccine.

You need to compare to unvaccinated to know how well it works.

Reply to this post

Response to Lucky Luciano (Reply #20)

Thu Nov 25, 2021, 05:17 PM

21. They are measuring how fast immunity drops.

That can only be measured in those who have been vaccinated. It is 85% as effective after 6 months as it was initially.

Reply to this post

Response to Lucky Luciano (Reply #20)

Thu Nov 25, 2021, 05:17 PM

22. They are measuring how fast immunity drops.

That can only be measured in those who have been vaccinated. It is 85% as effective after 6 months as it was initially.

Reply to this post

Thu Nov 25, 2021, 10:17 AM

5. Got my booster early November to be ready for thanksgiving with the wife's family

Turns out that we went from 13 expected to it being cancelled in a bit of drama by the Brother in Law host, so we are just doing a turkey roast here at home.

Reply to this post

Response to Sherman A1 (Reply #5)

Thu Nov 25, 2021, 01:37 PM

18. I used

to get "innoculated" before holiday dinners with Mrs. Moniss's family. Bacardi, Tanqueray or even Mad Dog 20/20 would usually get me ready.

Reply to this post

Thu Nov 25, 2021, 10:18 AM

7. Yet another poorly-worded click-bait headline ...

This crap is out of control.

I don't mean you OP, I mean the actual article.

Reply to this post

Thu Nov 25, 2021, 10:23 AM

8. I'm boosted with Moderna (all 3 doses)..

I predict we will get a flu vax and COVID vax every year. I would hope someday it is incorporated into one simple jab.

Reply to this post

Thu Nov 25, 2021, 10:24 AM

9. Late breaking news?

Reply to this post

Response to dem4decades (Reply #9)

Thu Nov 25, 2021, 11:47 AM

12. hey even professional journalists should get a day off on the holidays

Reply to this post

Thu Nov 25, 2021, 11:12 AM

10. Thanks Doctor Obvious! nt

Reply to this post

Thu Nov 25, 2021, 11:46 AM

11. anyone surprised doesn't understand the science of vaccination or corona viruses

The expectation should always have been more of a flu level of vaccine protection and to need yearly boosters.

I'm surprised that it's six months but for sure every year we will be vaccinating for COVID 19 along with whatever new products are part of developing medical mandate laws.

I'm thankful that my vaccine and boosters have protected me for as many months as they have, and look forward to new boosters protecting me just as well.

Reply to this post

Response to cadoman (Reply #11)

Thu Nov 25, 2021, 12:17 PM

13. You could have been surprised six months ago

There was a lot of speculation about the durability of the vaccines, from no immunity to 6 months to lifetime immunity. There has not been an FDA approved mRNA vaccine before, so some level of uncertainty was expected. It looks like we got 6-12 months. That still represents the best preventative measure out there.

But if you are surprised today, you have been living in a cave (nothing against cave-dwellers).

Reply to this post

Response to Shermann (Reply #13)

Thu Nov 25, 2021, 12:24 PM

14. the durability had nothing to do with mRNA, it had to do with how rapidly corona viruses change

It was a given it would be endemic by the time of vaccine rollout so the only unknowns would be what we experience every flu season: what are the currently spreading, mutated versions, and how well will the last batch of vaccines prepare your body to handle them?

Who speculated lifetime immunity? What on earth was the science behind that speculation? I would cut off the news source that set the expectation of lifetime or even two years of immunity.

Reply to this post

Response to Shermann (Reply #23)

Thu Nov 25, 2021, 10:39 PM

24. I think their lead obfuscates what was actually said in the studies and video

The first study they show in the video has nothing to do with vaccines. Your body does have a memory of the viruses it fights. No surprise there, but you can read it if you want.

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41586-021-03647-4

Second study they mention I cannot find, but they summarize as follows:

"The data suggests that immunity in convalescent individuals will be very long lasting and that convalescent individuals who receive available mRNA vaccines will produce antibodies and memory B cells that should be protective against circulating SARS-COV2 variants."

So the average CNBC viewer will receive the following info:

"The data suggests that immunity ... will be very long lasting ... "

But what was actually said was that the immunity would be long lasting for "circulating SARS-COV2 variants", which will mutate in short order. A very lawyerly way of saying that you'll get it once this season, but you may get a different version next season.

Reply to this post

Response to cadoman (Reply #24)

Thu Nov 25, 2021, 10:54 PM

25. I think you are overstating the significance of mutations in the waning vaccine durability

In the US, it has mostly been a story of the original strain and the Delta variant.

The latest scare is "Nu", which is only the 13th variant. Most variants have come and gone without much fanfare.

No, I'm afraid this durability issue seems to primarily be caused by internal biological mechanisms over time as opposed to external forces.

I do appreciate your intelligent response, however.

Reply to this post

Thu Nov 25, 2021, 01:01 PM

15. Most of the industrialized world knew this months ago.

Why is this even being said now?

Reply to this post

Thu Nov 25, 2021, 01:14 PM

16. They don't know how long the boosters last.

Fauci commented on that last night on CNN. It could be just another six months, a year or a lifetime. They donít have the data yet.

But I firmly believe that the majority in this country are going to get tired of getting shots. Less than 50% get the flu vaccine.

Reply to this post

Response to hamsterjill (Reply #16)

Thu Nov 25, 2021, 02:13 PM

19. I have all 3 Pfizer

I am sick of getting them too, but I'll be damned if I'm going to die for Trump's incompetence.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread