HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » Trump campaign documents ...

Mon Jun 20, 2022, 09:09 AM

Trump campaign documents give inside look at fake-elector plan

Source: Washington Post

In Nevada, a state Biden had won by about 33,600 votes, a photo distributed by the state Republican Party showed Trump supporters squeezing around an undersize picnic table dressed up with a bit of bunting, preparing to sign formal certificates declaring that they were “the duly elected and qualified” electors of their state.

At the time, the gatherings seemed a slapdash, desperate attempt to mimic President Donald Trump’s refusal to concede.

But internal campaign emails and memos reveal that the convening of the fake electors appeared to be a much more concerted strategy, intended to give Vice President Mike Pence a reason to declare the outcome of the election was somehow in doubt on Jan. 6, 2021, when he was to preside over the congressional counting of the electoral college votes.

The documents show Trump’s team pushed ahead and urged the electors to meet — then pressured Pence to cite the alternate Trump slates — even as various Trump lawyers acknowledged privately they did not have legal validity and the gatherings had not been in compliance with state laws.

Read more: https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2022/06/20/trump-documents-fake-elector-plan/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=wp_politics

14 replies, 2146 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread

Response to brooklynite (Original post)

Mon Jun 20, 2022, 09:20 AM

1. I'd say the intent was perfectly obvious

... as soon as we knew that TFG was pressuring Pence to toss out Biden electors. They didn't care about "legal validity" because they assumed it would end up in the Supreme Court, anyway. All they wanted was the appearance of a reason to throw out electors.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Mon Jun 20, 2022, 09:21 AM

2. Sure, why not.

What the hell is wrong with these people? Talk about being lost in your own echo chamber.

Reply to this post

Mon Jun 20, 2022, 09:49 AM

3. The dumbasses here in PA even still have their tweet up about it

PA GOP
@PAGOP
BREAKING: REPUBLICAN ELECTORS CAST PROCEDURAL VOTE , SEEK TO PRESERVE TRUMP CAMPAIGN LEGAL CHALLENGE
1:25 PM · Dec 14, 2020

(they are hoping their "wording" will be a "get out of jail free card" )

This reply was hilarious though -

GrammaJane2
@janeafournier
·
Dec 14, 2020
Replying to @PAGOP
What does this mean?
I Need a Boo Name
@warybear
The electors saw their shadows so it’s 6 more weeks of cryin
1:42 PM · Dec 14, 2020

Reply to this post

Response to BumRushDaShow (Reply #3)

Mon Jun 20, 2022, 10:12 AM

5. That Twitter thread is hilarious

and scary. These clowns really seemed to think this was a reasonable approach to changing the outcome of the election.

I would think the real Electors might have objected.

Reply to this post

Response to Mz Pip (Reply #5)

Mon Jun 20, 2022, 11:03 AM

6. The below is who really helped assuage the concern about all the nonsense going on --

The day the PA GOP sent that mess out, John Fetterman was doing a tweet troll storm!

John Fetterman
@JohnFetterman
·
Dec 14, 2020
BREAKING: I will also be reenacting the Steelers/Bills game in my back yard and submitting the new, certified score to the NFL.
John Fetterman
@JohnFetterman
BREAKING: STEELERS WON 49-3
3:13 PM · Dec 14, 2020

John Fetterman
@JohnFetterman
·
Dec 14, 2020
Replying to @JohnFetterman
Me and the kids also just redid Texas’ Electoral College vote so Biden is up really big on the map now.
John Fetterman
@JohnFetterman
I’m publicly committing to donate to the gofundme campaign of whoever writes the Broadway musical “1 for 59 “
4:18 PM · Dec 14, 2020

Earlier he tweeted -

John Fetterman
@JohnFetterman
·
Dec 14, 2020
12 years ago, it was a *true* honor to vote @BarackObama as our President as an Electoral College member.

True Story: Capitol police detained me in my way in. “Guys, I swear I am! 😩”

Sure dude, you’re a member.

The Secretary of State had to come verify and credential me.
John Fetterman
@JohnFetterman
To this day, the best vote I ever cast. 💯
9:47 AM · Dec 14, 2020

John Fetterman
@JohnFetterman
·
Dec 14, 2020
To this day, the best vote I ever cast. 💯
John Fetterman
@JohnFetterman
True story: I almost wore shorts 🩳 but @giselefetterman pulled rank and put a stop to that right quick.

She was right, of course, since I even got detained wearing pants which was already “dressing up” 🙄
10:03 AM · Dec 14, 2020

John Fetterman
@JohnFetterman
·
Dec 14, 2020
And finally, it must be said, if I was a member of the Capitol police I would have totally detained me too.

Zero hard feelings. ✋😟
John Fetterman
@JohnFetterman
I’ve heard “You’re gonna wear pants” so often from @giselefetterman over the years I seriously considered learning needlepoint just so I could gift her a custom decorative pillow with that embroidered.
10:26 AM · Dec 14, 2020

Reply to this post

Response to BumRushDaShow (Reply #6)

Mon Jun 20, 2022, 06:15 PM

10. That was awesome.

I wish I lived in Pennsylvania so I could vote for him.

Reply to this post

Response to Mz Pip (Reply #10)

Mon Jun 20, 2022, 06:43 PM

12. His "snake handlers" tweets were a riot

(talking about Ghouliani and that crew at their Gettysburg super-spreader event)

John Fetterman
@JohnFetterman
·
Nov 26, 2020
“We have been clear from the beginning: the General Assembly has no role to play in the selection of electors,”- Jason Gottesman, spokesman for the House Republican majority

More snake handling or selling timeshares at the Ramada won’t change anything.
pennlive.com
Claiming victory, Trump wants Pa. lawmakers to consider a special election; leaders say that’s...
Also, Republican legislative leaders showed no movement in changing the way presidential electors are chosen.
John Fetterman
@JohnFetterman
“Senate GOP spokeswoman Jenn Kocher said Senate Republican leaders, who have the majority in that chamber, also don’t plan to call senators back to Harrisburg.”
12:09 AM · Nov 26, 2020 from Braddock, PA
Copy link to Tweet

John Fetterman
@JohnFetterman
·
Nov 26, 2020
“Senate GOP spokeswoman Jenn Kocher said Senate Republican leaders, who have the majority in that chamber, also don’t plan to call senators back to Harrisburg.”
John Fetterman
@JohnFetterman
Live Feed: Gettysburg Ramada:
12:18 AM · Nov 26, 2020 from Braddock, PA

Reply to this post

Mon Jun 20, 2022, 09:51 AM

4. It's been more than a year and a half. Why haven't these people been indicted for election fraud?

While the coordination of the Trump campaign will be part of the January 6 investigation, these criminals should have been investigated already. I cannot see a reason for holding up these indictments because of the larger insurrection case. Because nothing has happened to these people, who are still in office or in elections offices, they’re free to continue committing election fraud whenever they want. If the DOJ continues to delay, delay, delay, Republicans will be back in charge before anything happens and all investigations will be shut down.

Reply to this post

Response to Lonestarblue (Reply #4)

Mon Jun 20, 2022, 12:23 PM

7. All of those participants were "elected officials"

and I know when prior "elected officials" were indicted for various crimes, it has taken about that long to get all the evidence and go for it.

For example, something recently involving people like Jeff Fortenberry and in his case, he committed his crime back in 2016 but they had to trace it back to who else was involved. I.e., Darryl Issa might also be part of that case as well. Fortenberry finally resigned just under 3 months ago when found guilty during his trial.

In the case of the current - the ones who go about initiating it would be the U.S. Attorneys for the localities and there are 93 of them who over the past "year and a half" have been undergoing a process of dislodging the 45 ones and replacing them (requiring Senate confirmation) with Biden appointees.

So for example, for the states entangled in this election fraud, the U.S. Attorneys were appointed/confirmed as follows -

ARIZONA
U.S. Attorney for the District of Arizona Gary M. Restaino November 23, 2021
(Confirmed November 19, 2021, by voice vote)

GEORGIA (2 vacancies, neither confirmed, out of 3 total nominees)
U.S. Attorney for the M.D. of Georgia Peter D. Leary November 17, 2021

U.S. Attorney for the N.D. of Georgia Ryan K. Buchanan May 2, 2022
(Confirmed April 27, 2022, by voice vote)

U.S. Attorney for the S.D. of Georgia David H. Estes December 3, 2021

MICHIGAN
U.S. Attorney for the E.D. of Michigan Dawn N. Ison, December 21, 2021
(Confirmed December 14, 2021, by voice vote)

U.S. Attorney for the W.D. Michigan Mark Totten[12] May 5, 2022
(Confirmed April 27, 2022, by voice vote

NEVADA
U.S. Attorney for the District of Nevada Jason Frierson May 11, 2022
(Confirmed April 27, 2022, by voice vote)

NEW MEXICO
U.S. Attorney for the District of New Mexico Alexander M.M. Uballez May 24, 2022
(Confirmed May 17, 2022 by voice vote)

PENNSYLVANIA
U.S. Attorney for the E.D. of Pennsylvania Jacqueline C. Romero
(Confirmed June 13, 2022 by voice vote)

U.S. Attorney for the M.D. of Pennsylvania Gerard Karam
(Confirmed June 13, 2022 by voice vote)

U.S. Attorney for the W.D. of Pennsylvania Cindy K. Chung November 23, 2021
(Confirmed November 19, 2021, by voice vote)

WISCONSIN (2 vacancies - neither confirmed yet)
U.S. Attorney for the E.D. of Wisconsin Gregory Haanstad Announced June 6, 2022

U.S. Attorney for the W.D. of Wisconsin Sopen Shah Announced June 6, 2022

And since per the Constitution, "states" are responsible for elections, you do have 2 of the states - Michigan and New Mexico, which referred the issue to their U.S. Attorneys.

In the case of the other 5 - both AZ and GA have GOP SOS's (so assume a referral would never happen, although GA is already doing their own investigation of the shakedown), the (D) NV Attorney General refused to confirm or deny an investigation. WI has no U.S. Attorneys confirmed yet (so either District has the old ones still there or more likely, actings) and my AG here in PA Josh Shapiro had earlier tweeted dismissing their nonsense (he was actually one of the electors here in PA) -

Josh Shapiro
@JoshShapiroPA
As I told @jaketapper earlier today -- logical thinking doesn't apply to the ridiculous charades we're seeing from Trump & his enablers.

No Pennsylvania legislator has authority to change our electors. They have no legal ability to change the outcome.
5:15 PM · Dec 14, 2020

and he indicated that their version had "conditions" included, which self-nullifies it. Apparently the other states didn't have such language (although.another that may have had conditional language IIRC from back then)

IMHO they need to go after them ALL but I expect the other 5 or 6 states of 7 (with PA being that outlier and possibly another), will be getting the worst of it.

Reply to this post

Response to BumRushDaShow (Reply #7)

Mon Jun 20, 2022, 04:37 PM

8. Hmmmm, I'm thinking mail fraud takes it to federal level seeing they mailed the documents to

... the national archive no?

thx in advance for any input

Reply to this post

Response to uponit7771 (Reply #8)

Mon Jun 20, 2022, 05:37 PM

9. LOL I literally just posted the same in another thread

Reply to this post

Mon Jun 20, 2022, 10:37 PM