HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Editorials & Other Articles (Forum) » Nichols " Mr. Spock...

Tue Mar 3, 2015, 06:07 AM

Nichols " Mr. Spock was a McGovernite"- Daily Kos

http://www.dailykos.com/

John Nichols at The Nation writes Mr. Spock Was a McGovernite: Remembering Leonard Nimoy’s ‘Live Long and Prosper’ Politics:
George McGovern’s anti-war candidacy for the presidency in 1972 attracted a good deal of celebrity support. But few Hollywood figures worked as hard as [Leonard] Nimoy to advance the cause of the Democratic presidential contender.

Beginning in January of 1972, when he trekked to New Hampshire on behalf of what was then considered to be McGovern’s uphill battle for the nomination, Nimoy traveled to thirty-five states on the South Dakota senator’s behalf. Grainy photos and news reports from more than four decades ago tell the story of a young Nimoy campaigning in the southwest with Latinos, in urban centers with African-Americans, in rural Oregon and even in Alaska.

Nimoy did not mind trading on his Star Trek celebrity to appeal for McGovern. He even joked at campaign stops that “I’m at a disadvantage. I’ve spent most of my previous life on Vulcan, so I don’t know too much about the people in this country.”

1 replies, 993 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 1 replies Author Time Post
Reply Nichols " Mr. Spock was a McGovernite"- Daily Kos (Original post)
Stuart G Mar 2015 OP
yesphan Mar 2015 #1

Response to Stuart G (Original post)

Tue Mar 3, 2015, 09:26 AM

1. Apparently a Hendrix fan as well.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread