HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Editorials & Other Articles (Forum) » Raise wages and find good...

Thu Jun 10, 2021, 11:56 PM

Raise wages and find good employees

source--https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/2021/06/10/worker-shortage-raising-wages/

snip--"Many of the business operators interviewed said that the decision to raise their employees’ starting wage was not motivated primarily by altruism or a desire to do right: It just made good business sense.

They said wage increases would help attract stronger candidates, reduce turnover and elevate company morale and culture — important for customer-facing businesses such as restaurants."

snip--Other business owners said that they had raised wages to out-compete other companies for the best workers.

snip--"There’s a shaming that’s happening to working-class people,” said Schaefer, the owner of the D.C.-area hardware stores. “Nobody talks about the fact that the economy is going to fall apart when a tech guy gets a $195,000-a-year salary with a 5 percent raise every year, or when lawyers are making $300,000. This conversation only happens when you’re talking about the people who make the lowest wages. And I think as a society, that’s just really insulting.”

more at article

privilege glimpse of the totally obvious

2 replies, 583 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 2 replies Author Time Post
Reply Raise wages and find good employees (Original post)
irisblue Thursday OP
BigmanPigman Friday #1
Arkansas Granny Friday #2

Response to irisblue (Original post)

Fri Jun 11, 2021, 03:49 AM

1. It IS insulting and disrespectful.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to irisblue (Original post)

Fri Jun 11, 2021, 04:56 AM

2. I'm puzzled when people claim that raising wages will mean raising prices.

It's like they haven't noticed that prices are going up anyway.

Something else that is omitted from many discussions on wages is the cost and availability of child care. Parents of young children can't work outside the home without it.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread