HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Editorials & Other Articles (Forum) » Feds to create database f...

Fri Jul 9, 2021, 07:43 PM

Feds to create database for Capitol riot prosecutions

The Justice Department has agreed to pay $6.1 million to a technology contractor to create a massive database of videos, photographs, documents and social media posts related to the Capitol riot as part of the process of turning relevant evidence over to defense attorneys for the more than 500 people facing criminal charges in the Jan. 6 events, according to a court filing and government records.

To take on the daunting task, the federal government has turned to Deloitte Financial Advisory Services, a firm prosecutors called a litigation support vendor with extensive experience providing complex litigation technology services.

https://www.politico.com/news/2021/07/09/doj-database-capitol-riot-prosecutions-498911

3 replies, 1045 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 3 replies Author Time Post
Reply Feds to create database for Capitol riot prosecutions (Original post)
reACTIONary Jul 2021 OP
erronis Jul 2021 #1
reACTIONary Jul 2021 #2
erronis Jul 2021 #3

Response to reACTIONary (Original post)

Fri Jul 9, 2021, 07:59 PM

1. That's stupid. I bet ProPublica and many others already have collected this information

for free and freely available (open source). And people like Bellingcat are much better than any government contractors at digging through stuff and finding linkages.

It wouldn't surprise me if Deloitte and DOJ haven't entered into an agreement to collect this and limit dissemination. PROFIT and DENY ACCESS.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to erronis (Reply #1)

Fri Jul 9, 2021, 08:07 PM

2. The purpose of the database...

... is to provide the accumulated evidence to the defendants for their use during the trials. This is a duty that the prosecution owes to the accused under our adversarial system of justice.

Reply to this post

Response to reACTIONary (Reply #2)

Fri Jul 9, 2021, 08:11 PM

3. Yes, I'm sure you are right. Still a good way for Deloitte to make a few more millions.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread