HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Editorials & Other Articles (Forum) » Republican authoritariani...

Thu Nov 25, 2021, 04:20 PM

Republican authoritarianism is here to stay. Face the facts: The GOP has chosen authoritarianism.

Kevin M. Kruse Retweeted

“Republican authoritarianism is here to stay…. . The Trumpian authoritarians have won — and they’re not going to be defeated by pro-democracy Republicans anytime soon.”

@brianklaas
⁩, alas for the republic, makes a very persuasive case.

Opinion | Republican authoritarianism is here to stay
It’s time to face the facts: The GOP has chosen authoritarianism

Global Opinions

Opinion: Republican authoritarianism is here to stay

By Brian Klaas
Global Opinions contributor
November 22, 2021 at 11:39 a.m. EST

Last week, a steady stream of House Republicans took to the floor to defend Rep. Paul A. Gosar (R-Ariz.), who posted a video on social media that depicted him killing a fellow member of Congress. (Gosar also continues to wrongly insist that Donald Trump won the 2020 election.) As I watched the debate over censuring Gosar — utterly depressed by the state of American politics — a question gnawed at me: Is there any way to reverse the Republican Party’s lurch toward violent, authoritarian lunacy?

For the past decade, I’ve studied the rise of authoritarianism and the breakdown of democracy around the world. Traveling from Madagascar to Thailand and Belarus to Zambia, I’ve tried to understand how despotic politicians and authoritarian political parties systematically destroy democracy. And based on that research, I have some bad news: The party of Reagan and Romney is long dead. The party of Trump is here to stay.

What has happened in the United States over the past five years is, in many ways, a classic of the autocratic genre. A populist leader rose to power, attacked the press, politicized rule of law, threatened to jail his opponents, demonized minorities, praised dictators abroad, spread conspiracy theories and lies, and then sought to seize power despite losing an election. When such despotic figures emerge in democracies, their political party has two options: push back against the would-be despot while reasserting democratic principles, or remake the party in his image. Republicans have quite clearly chosen the latter path.

The big question now is: Can this be reversed? Can Republicans go back to being a broadly pro-democracy party that operates within democratic constraints and accepts election defeats without inventing false claims?

There are a few ways political parties that drift toward authoritarianism can be brought back from the brink. Sadly, none of them can save the modern GOP.

{snip}

Opinion by Brian Klaas
Brian Klaas is an associate professor of global politics at University College London, where he focuses on democracy, authoritarianism, and American politics and foreign policy. He is the author of the forthcoming "Corruptible: Who Gets Power and How It Changes Us." His past books include "The Despot's Apprentice" and "The Despot's Accomplice." Twitter https://twitter.com/brianklaas

3 replies, 1369 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 3 replies Author Time Post
Reply Republican authoritarianism is here to stay. Face the facts: The GOP has chosen authoritarianism. (Original post)
mahatmakanejeeves Nov 25 OP
underpants Nov 25 #1
DBoon Nov 25 #2
RKP5637 Nov 25 #3

Response to mahatmakanejeeves (Original post)

Thu Nov 25, 2021, 05:39 PM

1. Been that way for years - Reagan ushered in the old men

Telling the people to sit down, shut up, and do as your told.

The Reagan Revolution was a turn against all the rights minorities, women, and working people (unions included of course). Too much change from the Civil Rights movement to ending Vietnam to electing Carter.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Thu Nov 25, 2021, 05:45 PM

2. Libertarianism is dead

They worship white supremacy, not free markets

Reply to this post

Thu Nov 25, 2021, 06:30 PM

3. IMO the GOP wants much of the US population imprisoned or dead. It's a grotesque

political party and so sad that many Americans are too stupid, ignorant and/or propagandized to comprehend what is going on. IMO many Americans live in la la land and/or too occupied with survival or arrogance of self to get it. I've always been optimistic, but I'll be damn, that is getting a bit more difficult.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread