HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Video & Multimedia (Forum) » Anniversary of the first ...

Sat May 29, 2021, 09:19 PM

Anniversary of the first performance of Stravinsky's "The Rite of Spring" May 29, 1913

Video is fuzzy but my favorite performance.

Paris, Sergei Diaghilev's Ballets Russes. Choreography by Vaslav Nijinsky.

"The theatre seemed to be shaken by an earthquake. It seemed to shudder. People shouted insults, howled and whistled, drowning the music. There was slapping and even punching. Words are inadequate to describe such a scene. Calm was briefly restored when the order was suddenly given to put up the house lights. It amused me to see how certain boxes where occupants had been so noisy and vindictive in the dark quieted down when the lights went up.

"Diaghilev had ordained a pause between the two scenes; during this the lights were turned up and police were called in to eject the most violent demonstrators; but no sooner had the curtain risen on the trembling group of girls in Part II, with their in-pointed toes, their bent knees and their right fights supporting their sideways-bent heads, than a voice called out, 'Un docteur!' then another 'Un dentiste!' followed by a third with 'Deux dentistes!' A lady slapped the face of a man in a neighboring box, gentlemen challenged each other to duels, Comtesse Rene de Portales declared that she was sixty years old and that nobody had dared to try to make a fool of her before.

"After the performance [Stravinsky remembered] we were excited, angry, disgusted, and ... happy. I went with Diaghilev and Nijinsky to a restaurant. So far from weeping and reciting Pushkin in the Bois de Boulogne as the legend is [spread by Cocteau], Diaghilev's only comment was 'Exactly what I wanted.' He certainly looked contented. No one could have been quicker to understand the publicity value and he immediately understood the good thing that had happened in that respect. Quite possibly he had already thought about the possibility of such a scandal when I first played him the score, months before, in the east ground [floor] of the Grand Hotel in Venice."

From Richard Buckle's "Diaghilev"

4 replies, 915 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 4 replies Author Time Post
Reply Anniversary of the first performance of Stravinsky's "The Rite of Spring" May 29, 1913 (Original post)
betsuni May 2021 OP
Ahpook May 2021 #1
betsuni May 2021 #2
skydive forever May 2021 #3
Mickju May 2021 #4

Response to betsuni (Original post)

Sat May 29, 2021, 09:25 PM

1. Very cool

Thank you

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Ahpook (Reply #1)

Sat May 29, 2021, 09:36 PM

2. You're welcome, it is cool!

Reply to this post

Sat May 29, 2021, 09:51 PM

3. My best friend is a bandleader

Internationally known, and he is an amazing person. Lifetime member of the ABA (American Bandleaders Assn.) creator of the Bicentennial Band in 76, US Army Field Band leader for years. He's 97 years old, we own an airplane together, (we went flying this morning) married for 74 years, and an all around awesome guy. These musicians are amazing people, all of them.

Reply to this post

Sun May 30, 2021, 01:21 PM

4. That's the Los Angeles Philharmonic.

I recognized a few of the musicians who are friends of mine. I was lucky enough to have performed the Firebird Suite back in the sixties conducted by Stravinsky himself. He was very old and seemed frail until he started conducting. It was like being in the presence of God. I love his music.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread