HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » The DU Lounge (Forum) » Reflexive behavior in a l...

Thu Jan 14, 2021, 10:15 AM

Reflexive behavior in a life filled with risks.

I was just driving through Hilltop, a pretty rough neighborhood in Tacoma. I saw a couple of people at the bus stop near the top of the hill. Both were African-American, both engaged in conversation, and both were wearing masks.

During a time in which toxic white privilege has extended to something as seemingly simple and uncontroversial as wearing a mask during the pandemic of a respiratory illness, the wearing of one has taken on powerful political overtones.

Dissenters, usually, but not exclusively white, have been recorded in public engaging in highly anti-social behaviors, yelling and screaming, causing disruption to the lives of everyone around them, simply over being asked, or required, to wear a mask when in a public space with other people.

This is also a time when simply being a young, unarmed African-American person committing no crime can be murdered in the street by a law enforcement officer who suffers no penalty stronger than a two week paid vacation.

People whose lives are constantly at risk in societally unfair ways take every necessary precaution to preserve life whenever possible.

It's the way pragmatism and practicality overcome political controversy.

3 replies, 234 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 3 replies Author Time Post
Reply Reflexive behavior in a life filled with risks. (Original post)
Aristus Thursday OP
Bernardo de La Paz Thursday #1
Aristus Thursday #2
empedocles Thursday #3

Response to Aristus (Original post)

Thu Jan 14, 2021, 10:23 AM

1. Wearing a mask is a medical statement. Not wearing a mask is the *political* statement. . . . nt

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Bernardo de La Paz (Reply #1)

Thu Jan 14, 2021, 10:27 AM

2. Couldn't have said it better myself.

Reply to this post

Response to Aristus (Original post)

Thu Jan 14, 2021, 10:38 AM

3. 'Reflexive behavior' is such a huge, important, topic.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread