HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » The DU Lounge (Forum) » So we've decided on a vac...

Mon May 3, 2021, 08:23 PM

So we've decided on a vacation this year...RV'ing

Flying is still out of the question for my wife. She mentioned Myrtle Beach (we stayed for free for several years) and I said NO WAY. Going over the Bay Bridge Tunnel is also a hard NO for my wife.

We decided to rent an RV which run from $180/day to $400. Well be somewhere in the middle. We are each going to pick out some fun places we want to check out and then well just go. Maybe in one general direction or maybe not. We will probably end up in Virginia for a lot of it (Bristol is as far from Richmond as NYC is) but who knows.

Yeah its a gas guzzler but we are very good about that sort of thing regularly. The price is about the same as a hotel room per night.

18 replies, 718 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 18 replies Author Time Post
Reply So we've decided on a vacation this year...RV'ing (Original post)
underpants May 3 OP
bahboo May 3 #1
MuseRider May 3 #5
cachukis May 3 #2
TXPaganBanker May 3 #3
underpants May 3 #9
MerryHolidays May 3 #4
underpants May 3 #8
wackadoo wabbit May 3 #13
ironflange May 6 #15
dweller May 3 #6
underpants May 3 #7
dawg day May 3 #10
underpants May 3 #11
Solly Mack May 3 #12
BrightM May 6 #14
beaglelover May 6 #16
Corgigal May 6 #17
underpants May 6 #18

Response to underpants (Original post)

Mon May 3, 2021, 08:35 PM

1. we love hitting the road and only planning the first night....

then just play it as it goes....

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to bahboo (Reply #1)

Mon May 3, 2021, 09:12 PM

5. We always used to do that

and we ended up in some interesting places. Sometimes they were fun and sometimes they were places where you get food at the closest place and hole in until morning. Still, always an adventure that way.

Reply to this post

Mon May 3, 2021, 08:41 PM

2. We are in the midst of an excursion.

Rents were as you said. We are doing two months from Fla to Carlsbad CA for grandkids. Bought a 1997 beater for 8K. 50k under chassis. Lacks some modern conveniences, but as boaters, manageable. Wish we had stayed at some sights longer. More relaxing. Shore power needs keeps us closer to shore, but boondocks are aided by portable power supply. We got the Jackery 500 for phones, small coffee maker and computer. Hot spot on phone keeps us in loop while in range. We stopped at Harvest Host spots and parks. Conveniences matter. We have solar for one battery which means no ac or heat off grid. Gas keeps fridge cold. Have our cat and dog on board. Setting up camp means no in and out of place. See why big rigs carry small wheels. Learning as we go. Won't learn if you don't go.

Reply to this post

Mon May 3, 2021, 08:43 PM

3. I love my RV!

I've got a 32' Fleetwood Jamboree Class C. It's an absolute wonderful way to have an outdoor vacation. You see parts of the city that you never would have known were there if you flew in and rented a hotel room (That being said, don't plan on having the valet park your RV at a restaurant). Remember to give yourself extra drive time, the sign may say 80, but 70 mph all day is a chore when you're driving something that large.

Have fun and travel safe!

Reply to this post

Response to TXPaganBanker (Reply #3)

Mon May 3, 2021, 09:42 PM

9. Thanks

Thanks for the tip bout driving one of these wearing you out.

Reply to this post

Mon May 3, 2021, 08:47 PM

4. I LOVE RV'ing!

You and the family will have a ball.

A few things:

1) Plan your route carefully. I'm not sure where you're going, but here on the West Coast, the scenery can be amazing, but dangerous, in an RV. Always check in advance whether your route is suitable for an RV.

2) CHECK YOUR CLEARANCE!!!! Heightwise and lengthwise! Anywhere you go, ALWAYS be thinking ahead as to obstacles of any sort.

3) See about joining RV clubs like Good Sam etc. These services give you routing info and discounts at member RV parks.

4) Don't overtax yourself on the driving. A few hundred miles each day is sufficient for us. Also, remember with an RV that you are limited in the places you can go, unless you can haul a car with you. Most RV rental places won't allow that or charge a fortune.

5) National and state park RV campsites are very difficult to get into unless you've booked well in advance.

6) Costco is GREAT for refueling your RV rig. JUST REMEMBER THE CLEARANCE OF THE OVERHANGS/ROOFS!

Have a great time. From what I saw a few months ago, RV rental rates are very hight, but comparable to hotels.

Reply to this post

Response to MerryHolidays (Reply #4)

Mon May 3, 2021, 09:42 PM

8. Thanks. Yes I am going to start paying attention to clearances now.

☝️

Reply to this post

Response to underpants (Reply #8)

Mon May 3, 2021, 11:03 PM

13. When we were full-timers

we got our hands on a sort of roadmap book made especially for truckers that specifically listed clearances. Since we were carrying a giant 6' satellite dish on top of our 5th wheel (the previous owners had installed it, and we just kept it, as this was in the early '90s, long before streaming, etc.), knowing height clearances well in advance was pretty crucial.

I'm pretty sure we bought the book at a truck stop (which makes sense). I don't know if they still make it.

Reply to this post

Response to wackadoo wabbit (Reply #13)

Thu May 6, 2021, 01:16 PM

15. I've seen those recently, if memory seres

I believe they also show where the steep grades are.

Reply to this post

Mon May 3, 2021, 09:36 PM

6. Outer Banks

is beautiful in early season before tourist season cranks up

✌🏻

Reply to this post

Response to dweller (Reply #6)

Mon May 3, 2021, 09:41 PM

7. I said that we could just go down the coast

Stopping here and there and we always have a place to stay. Maybe along the water and then compkete the loop inland on the way back.

Reply to this post

Mon May 3, 2021, 09:44 PM

10. Oh, have fun!

You could do the Blue Ridge Parkway.

Reply to this post

Response to dawg day (Reply #10)

Mon May 3, 2021, 09:48 PM

11. I was thinking abou driving parallel to the App trail

Weve covered a lot of the Blue Ridge but well see.

Reply to this post

Mon May 3, 2021, 10:46 PM

12. I'm so jealous! Y'all will have a blast. You'll have to post about your daily adventures.

Take photos to share, please.

Reply to this post

Thu May 6, 2021, 02:10 PM

16. We're going to Palm Springs the week after next for my birthday but that's a driving vacation.

We're planning our first real trip out of CA since February 2020 for the fall, probably late October. Will fly to NJ to visit family there and then drive up to Boston to visit family there. Probably take a couple weeks off. Will be interesting to fly again!

Reply to this post

Thu May 6, 2021, 02:12 PM

17. Have you thought

or been to the Smokey mountains. Some beautiful areas to pick, great RV camps. Will you be towing a little car behind you?

Reply to this post

Response to Corgigal (Reply #17)

Thu May 6, 2021, 03:14 PM

18. That has been mentioned

Im not sure if we can tow a car. If we can and decide too I have a nice light hybrid that will be perfect

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread