HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » The DU Lounge (Forum) » Thanksgiving ghost story

Sun Nov 20, 2022, 06:08 AM

Thanksgiving ghost story

Last edited Tue Nov 22, 2022, 08:08 AM - Edit history (2)

With the heavy snowfall here in western NY so close to Thanksgiving, I'm remembering another snowy Thanksgiving many years ago when I was 6 years old.

We lived in Erie, PA. My mother's cousin, Wilford (whom we called Willie), and his wife, Jenny, drove to Erie from Buffalo for Thanksgiving dinner with us. They planned on staying overnight with other Erie relatives. Willie would not stay in our house after dark because my parents bought the house from an old family friend whose husband, Joe, had died in an upstairs bedroom. Willie was a firm believer in ghosts and haunted houses.

Erie (not Buffalo that time) got hit with a lake effect storm on Thanksgiving day. By the time that Jenny and Willie realized how bad the storm was, they were too close to Erie to turn back. No expressway between Buffalo and Erie then, and no cell phones in those days (1956 - yes I'm that old). They arrived 2 hours late.

By the time we finished dinner, their car was totally buried, visibility was zero, and all streets were completely impassable. They had no choice but to stay overnight with us. My brothers offered their room, said they would go to the living room with their sleeping bags. But Willie refused to sleep on the second floor so he and Jennie took the couch and a lounge chair.

Shortly after we all got into bed, I heard Willie go into the bathroom, which was next to my bedroom. He had passed my brothers' room on the way, so my oldest brother, the family prankster, stood in my doorway, outside the closed bathroom door and called out in a spooky voice, "Wiiiiiiillie, Wiiiiiiilie."

Willie, who was over 6 feet tall and had a deep, gruff voice, snapped back, "What? Who is it?" My brother used a whispery voice to say, "Willie, it's your friend, Joe." I struggled to hold back the giggles while my brother held his finger to his lips to silence me.

Willie ran out of the bathroom yelling, "He's here! I heard him!" Everyone ran into the hall and my brother blended in, acting innocent and curious. My father insisted that it was "mind over matter because there's no such thing as ghosts."

At breakfast in the morning, Willie and my father were still arguing over what had happened. I could not hold back the giggles, even though my brother kicked me under the table. My father noticed and said, "Willie, I think I found your ghost." Jenny burst out laughing and told my father that it was too funny and harmless to punish us.

The snow had stopped but we could not open our doors because it was drifted halfway up them. We had a detached garage and the snow shovels were in there. The prankster brother dropped into the snow from a dining room window where it wasn't drifted so high. He had the kitchen broom and pushed aside just enough snow to open the back door. Willie and my father joined him to make a path to the garage and clear enough snow to open it.

But the side streets like ours were still impassable, so a relative with a 4 wheel drive jeep met Jenny and Willie at the corner of our block where a major street had been plowed and took them to his place.

For many years afterward, we kids would say, "Wiiiiilie," and laugh our asses off.

17 replies, 1287 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 17 replies Author Time Post
Reply Thanksgiving ghost story (Original post)
wnylib Nov 20 OP
SheltieLover Nov 20 #1
wnylib Nov 20 #6
SheltieLover Nov 20 #12
wnylib Nov 20 #13
SheltieLover Nov 20 #15
wnylib Nov 20 #16
SheltieLover Nov 20 #17
2naSalit Nov 20 #2
wnylib Nov 20 #8
2naSalit Nov 20 #10
Easterncedar Nov 20 #3
Just Jerome Nov 20 #4
Ligyron Nov 20 #5
wnylib Nov 20 #7
Prairie_Seagull Nov 20 #9
wnylib Nov 20 #11
Marthe48 Nov 20 #14

Response to wnylib (Original post)

Sun Nov 20, 2022, 06:26 AM

1. Hahaha!

Are you snowed in?

I thought of you when I saw the ridiculous amount of snow in your area.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to SheltieLover (Reply #1)

Sun Nov 20, 2022, 11:39 AM

6. Yep. I was awake at 4 am. As forecast, the snow

had started up again and it hasn't stopped since. It is expected to continue snowing all day. Even church services are cancelled today.

Reply to this post

Response to wnylib (Reply #6)

Sun Nov 20, 2022, 01:21 PM

12. Still snowing?

Did you get someone to shovel your roof?

Sending good vibes to you & all!

Reply to this post

Response to SheltieLover (Reply #12)

Sun Nov 20, 2022, 01:34 PM

13. Not as bad as it sounds.

These lake effect snowfalls travel in narrow bands that shift around with shifting prevailing winds.

I am near Buffalo, but farther inland. And yet, we got the early snow bands on Thursday, with 2 feet of snow. On Friday we got another foot, but by afternoon, the bands shifted to the southern Buffalo area and left us completely.

So we had half a day Friday and all day Saturday to clear streets and sidewalks, get out to stores, etc. What we are getting today is the shifting of snow bands back into our area before the storm is finally (we hope) over.

Reply to this post

Response to wnylib (Reply #13)

Sun Nov 20, 2022, 01:39 PM

15. Glad to hear!

And I hope it's not heavy, wet snow!

Reply to this post

Response to SheltieLover (Reply #15)

Sun Nov 20, 2022, 01:54 PM

16. Unfortunately, it is heavy wet snow.

I live in a multi story apartment building. Snow removal is handled by contract with a company. So I don't need to shovel anything.

As for the roof, I don't think we got enough snow in my area for that to be a problem. I hope not, anyway. I am on one of the upper floors.

Reply to this post

Response to wnylib (Reply #16)

Sun Nov 20, 2022, 01:56 PM

17. Glad to hear you won't be shoveling & that snow is lighter in your area.

Reply to this post

Sun Nov 20, 2022, 07:21 AM

2. Rascals!

Your poor cousin.

I grew up back east and there are houses, many, that are well over a hundred years old and have accompanying tales of ghosts and such. But it also snows deep, or used to, regularly every winter. So much so that many older houses have a second story front door above the one on the first floor. You see lots of them in Canada too. Storms like that one explain why those are there.

Hope you stay warm and can get to where you need to go if you have to go out. This arctic air mass is huge, the western edge of it is finally being pushed east of the Rockies so we will be having some pretty warm days this week, in comparison. It's been windy this whole time here while in the single digits, occasional snow so the clear and +40F temps will be a nice break for a few days.

It's headed your way, just slow in coming.

Reply to this post

Response to 2naSalit (Reply #2)

Sun Nov 20, 2022, 12:30 PM

8. At least we will get a break after the current storm

before yours reaches us. Tomorrow and the next few days the forecast is sunny and 40 degrees F. So a lot of the snow will melt.

Reply to this post

Response to wnylib (Reply #8)

Sun Nov 20, 2022, 12:43 PM

10. That's our forecast too.

We got about a foot of snow over a week ago. About 1/3 of it is still here because it got cold enough to prevent most melting. Looks like much of it will be gone by the time it snows again. The higher elevations are gaining a nice snow pack, though. That's a really good thing, now if there is additional gain and it stays cold enough to hang on to it until around June...

Reply to this post

Sun Nov 20, 2022, 07:53 AM

3. Great story!

Thanks for sharing.

I am/was supposed to go to Niagara this week. These Thanksgiving storms! But I do love winter, ghosts and all.

Reply to this post

Sun Nov 20, 2022, 08:42 AM

4. A classic!

Thanks for the laughs.

Reply to this post

Sun Nov 20, 2022, 08:58 AM

5. Who doesn't love a good ghost story?

Especially a funny one.

Well done!

Reply to this post

Sun Nov 20, 2022, 12:40 PM

9. Thank you very much for your story.

Great start to my Sunday. Stay safe, being trapped is no fun. Except for a couple mischievous "ghosts" in 1956.

Reply to this post

Response to Prairie_Seagull (Reply #9)

Sun Nov 20, 2022, 01:13 PM

11. I claim innocence. I was just a passive

observer of my mischievous brother.

Reply to this post

Sun Nov 20, 2022, 01:38 PM

14. Great story!

Not often the kids get away with a good trick