HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Places » U.S. » California (Group) » Stan's Donuts to close af...

Sun Apr 12, 2020, 08:57 PM

Stan's Donuts to close after 55 years of business, citing COVID-19

Stanís Donuts, a 55-year staple of Westwood Village, served its last doughnut Thursday.

https://dailybruin.com/2020/04/10/stans-donuts-to-close-after-55-years-of-business-citing-covid-19/

The famous doughnut shop at the corner of Weyburn and Broxton avenues permanently closed in light of the impact of the coronavirus pandemic, according to a statement published by owner Stan Berman on the storeís website.

ďIt is with a sad heart that I inform you that I have made the decision to close my doors and (Thursday) will be the last day I will be making donuts,Ē Berman said. ďUnfortunately COVID-19 made the decision happen sooner, but I hope that you will remember how our donuts made you smile for many years to come.Ē

Los Angeles Mayor Eric Garcetti ordered restaurants to close March 15 and Gov. Gavin Newsom mandated nonessential businesses to close statewide March 19 to slow the spread of the virus. Restaurants are still permitted to serve food to-go or offer delivery, but the pandemic and the government response has nevertheless constrained economic activity, putting many businesses in dire circumstances.

Berman opened Stanís Donuts as The Corner Shoppe in 1965. Located in the heart of Westwood Village and right across from the historic Fox Theater, the shop has served over 75 doughnut varieties to generations of UCLA students, locals and tourists. Stanís Donuts & Coffee, a shop inspired by Bermanís original, opened in Chicago in 2014 and has since expanded to multiple locations. Berman tried to expand Stanís Donuts to other locations over the years but ultimately decided to only operate his Westwood shop.

snip

https://www.stansdoughnuts.com/

I used to get coffee and a peanut butter and jelly donut (soo jummi!) sometimes there whilst I attended UCLA

Enzo's pizza too, omg their white pizza was super good

9 replies, 989 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 9 replies Author Time Post
Reply Stan's Donuts to close after 55 years of business, citing COVID-19 (Original post)
Celerity Apr 2020 OP
Eliot Rosewater Apr 2020 #1
Celerity Apr 2020 #3
jimfields33 Apr 2020 #7
AlexSFCA Apr 2020 #2
mucifer Apr 2020 #4
Celerity Apr 2020 #5
DBoon Apr 2020 #6
Brother Buzz Apr 2020 #8
SunSeeker Apr 2020 #9

Response to Celerity (Original post)

Sun Apr 12, 2020, 08:59 PM

1. rump is resposible.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Eliot Rosewater (Reply #1)

Sun Apr 12, 2020, 09:01 PM

3. +1

Reply to this post

Response to Eliot Rosewater (Reply #1)

Sun Apr 12, 2020, 10:11 PM

7. Many businesses will close

We might be back to choosing between only McDonaldís and Burger King again like the past as far as fast food anyway. Stores were in trouble before this. I canít imagine how many weíll lose to this.

Reply to this post

Sun Apr 12, 2020, 08:59 PM

2. that's odd; donughts are for pickup usually

itís unfortunate they couldnít adapt to pick up and delivery.

Reply to this post

Sun Apr 12, 2020, 09:24 PM

4. That's weird. They have several locations open in Chicago

Reply to this post

Response to mucifer (Reply #4)

Sun Apr 12, 2020, 09:37 PM

5. franchises

https://www.latimes.com/food/story/2020-04-10/stans-donuts-closes-coronavirus-ucla-westwood

Bermanís shop inspired entrepreneur Rich Labriola, and the pair formed a relationship over their shared passion for doughnuts. Labriola opened Stanís Donuts & Coffee in Chicago in 2014 and has since opened several more locations.

Berman, too, expanded to several other locations but eventually decided to stick with his original shop, closing the others over the years.

Reply to this post

Sun Apr 12, 2020, 09:48 PM

6. NO!!!

Even Huell Howser paid homage to them

Reply to this post

Sun Apr 12, 2020, 10:41 PM

8. When we went down to visit my son at UCLA...

I told him I wanted to visit Randy's Donuts.

He said, "No, no you don't. Stan's Donuts is where you want to go".

He was right, but Randy's Donuts is still on my Bucket List.

Reply to this post

Mon Apr 13, 2020, 03:05 AM

9. Yes, they will be sorely missed in Westwood Village.

Such a great old school donut shop.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread