HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Foreign Affairs & National Security » Israel/Palestine (Group) » Israel, wake up and smell...

Sun Dec 18, 2011, 07:22 AM

Israel, wake up and smell the coffee

Years of rioting against Palestinians, uprooting of trees, vandalism, arson, destruction, dispossession, theft, rocks and axes didn't cause a ripple, but one rock to the head of a deputy brigade commander made all the difference.

By Gideon Levy

If I could, I'd send a modest bouquet of flowers as a gesture of thanks for the work of the rioters - the ones who infiltrated the Ephraim Brigade base in the West Bank last week. They achieved, at least for a moment, what others had failed to do: stir Israeli public opinion and maybe even the army and government against the West Bank settlers.

Good morning, Israel. You've woken up? Years of rioting against Palestinians, uprooting of trees, vandalism, arson, destruction, dispossession, theft, rocks and axes didn't cause a ripple here. But one rock to the head of a deputy brigade commander, Lt. Col. Tzur Harpaz, made all the difference.

An all-out riot. Jewish terrorism. There are militias in the West Bank, settler-terrorists in a no-man's-land. And all this due to a rock that drew a few drops of sacred Jewish blood.

Here they are again: arrogance and nationalist ideology. How is it possible that terrorism has arisen from the Chosen People? How could a few drops of blood from one person shock more than streams of other people's blood? How did the rock that scratched Harpaz's forehead reverberate immeasurably more than the teargas canister that ripped through the forehead of Palestinian Mustafa Tamimi, killed four days earlier by soldiers from the army Harpaz serves in?

No, the right wing's hilltop youth haven't endangered the State of Israel. They haven't even distorted its image, as it's now popular to proclaim. What do you want from them? They've been made accustomed to think that anything goes. Enough with the self-righteous clucking of tongues. Enough with the "condemnations" and expressions of bogus and belated shock. There is nothing new under the sun when it comes to the settlers. It's not a "new level" of activity, and it doesn't involve the crossing of "red lines." The only line that has been crossed, perhaps, is the line of apathy.

http://www.haaretz.com/print-edition/opinion/israel-wake-up-and-smell-the-coffee-1.402044

11 replies, 2724 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 11 replies Author Time Post
Reply Israel, wake up and smell the coffee (Original post)
Violet_Crumble Dec 2011 OP
oberliner Dec 2011 #1
Crunchy Frog Dec 2011 #4
bemildred Dec 2011 #5
Violet_Crumble Dec 2011 #6
LeftishBrit Dec 2011 #7
oberliner Dec 2011 #8
King_David Dec 2011 #9
Donald Ian Rankin Dec 2011 #10
oberliner Dec 2011 #11
Scurrilous Dec 2011 #2
Scurrilous Dec 2011 #3

Response to Violet_Crumble (Original post)

Sun Dec 18, 2011, 08:09 AM

1. That is pretty disgusting

A bouquet of flowers for the rioters?

Shameful remark.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to oberliner (Reply #1)

Sun Dec 18, 2011, 08:47 PM

4. I think it's intent was figurative and ironic.

Last edited Tue Dec 20, 2011, 12:04 AM - Edit history (1)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irony

Irony (from the Ancient Greek εἰρωνεία eirōneía, meaning dissimulation or feigned ignorance)[1] is a rhetorical device, literary technique, or situation in which there is a sharp incongruity or discordance that goes beyond the simple and evident intention of words or actions. There is presently no accepted method for textually indicating irony, though an irony (punctuation) mark has been proposed.

Ironic statements (verbal irony) typically imply a meaning in opposition to their literal meaning. A situation is often said to be ironic (situational irony) if the actions taken have an effect exactly opposite from what was intended. The discordance of verbal irony may be deliberately created as a means of communication (as in art or rhetoric). Descriptions or depictions of situational ironies, whether in fiction or in non-fiction, serve a communicative function of sharpening or highlighting certain discordant features of reality. Verbal and situational irony are often used for emphasis in the assertion of a truth. The ironic form of simile, used in sarcasm, and some forms of litotes emphasize one's meaning by the deliberate use of language which states the opposite of the truth — or drastically and obviously understates a factual connection.

Reply to this post

Response to Crunchy Frog (Reply #4)

Sun Dec 18, 2011, 09:05 PM

5. Well, I figured it was sarcasm, as I am pretty sure he does not really approve.

But then irony works pretty well too.

Reply to this post

Response to bemildred (Reply #5)

Mon Dec 19, 2011, 03:28 AM

6. Yeah, Mr Levy's been very outspoken in his dislike of the extremist settlers...

In the article I thought it was very clear that he was talking about how while settler attacks on Palestinians didn't achieve it, settler attacks on the IDF is what it's taken for the tide to start turning against the extremist settlers...

Reply to this post

Mon Dec 19, 2011, 09:19 AM

7. I think he was being sarcastic

The implication was 'at least the rioters are showing clearly what the basic attitude of the settlers is'.

I'm not a great fan of Levy, because he is a totally negative doomsayer without (it seems to me) any constructive suggestions. But I don't think he really supports the rioters.

Reply to this post

Response to LeftishBrit (Reply #7)

Mon Dec 19, 2011, 08:38 PM

8. Still in very poor taste

And the implication is also ridiculously unfair.

I agree with your assessment of Levy. I do think he "supports" the rioters in the sense that he believes it's worth having some soldiers attacked for people to see the "truth" about the settlers.

To toss off a remark about sending them a bouquet of flowers, while sickening to me still, is exactly the sort of thing I expect from this individual.

Reply to this post

Response to oberliner (Reply #8)

Mon Dec 19, 2011, 09:12 PM

9. I agree nt

Reply to this post

Mon Dec 19, 2011, 10:27 PM

10. I'm afraid I think it's your dishonest disingenuity that is shameful

I don't for a minute believe that you were in any doubt that Mr Levy was being ironic.

I also think that, as often, he makes a number of excellent points - obliquely, in this case.

Reply to this post

Response to Donald Ian Rankin (Reply #10)

Tue Dec 20, 2011, 04:42 AM

11. I don't offer to give flowers to those who perpretrate violence

Last edited Tue Dec 20, 2011, 05:50 AM - Edit history (1)

Nothing shameful about pointing out the fact that those who do, even in irony, ought to be taken to task.

It's a sick way to start an article - no matter what the rhetorical intent.

I do not literally believe that Gideon Levy is planning to send those people flowers, nor do I literally believe the various similarly unpleasant things said by a wide variety of RW talk show hosts here in the US.

I am complete honest and completely genuine in this belief.

I believe that even a remark in jest of this nature is completely inappropriate. I daresay, under other circumstances, with different players involved, you would agree.

But because you think Gideon make "a number of excellent points" you give him a pass.

That is unfortunate.

Reply to this post

Sun Dec 18, 2011, 12:45 PM

2. Thanks Violet.

Reply to this post

Sun Dec 18, 2011, 04:54 PM

3. Will Israel Declare War on Its Extremists?

<snip>

"The Israeli Defense Forces are increasingly confronting a truth that many Palestinians learned awhile ago: A not-insignificant number of the Israelis who have settled on the West Bank are unhinged zealots who, in their self-righteousness, myopia and contempt for those with whom they disagree, comprise a kind of Jewish Hamas.

The Israeli army deploys a great deal of manpower to protect settlers from Arab terrorism. There is no conceivable way the settlers would be alive today without the protection of Israel’s soldiers, many of whom object to settlements but are doing their duty.

Yet the army has now become a target of a violent band of settlers called the Hilltop Youth. These “youth,” many in their 20s and even 30s by now (and guided by rabbis in their 70s and 80s), are the offspring of the first and second generation of religious settlers. They reject what they see as their parents’ bourgeois lifestyle and despise the government in Jerusalem to which their parents are more or less loyal.

The Hilltop Youth became a source of great anguish in Israel this week after a gang of 50 settlers stormed an army base adjacent to the Kedumim settlement in the northern West Bank and threw rocks at both soldiers and Palestinians. The commander of the army’s Ephraim Brigade was struck in the head with a rock."

http://mobile.bloomberg.com/news/2011-12-16/will-israel-declare-war-on-violent-settlers-jeffrey-goldberg?category=%2F

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread