HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Home & Family » Cooking & Baking (Group) » New Film 'Truly Texas Mex...

Thu Mar 4, 2021, 02:26 AM

New Film 'Truly Texas Mexican' Uncovers The Roots Of Authentic Mexican Cuisine

“The basic idea of the film is tacos, feminism and cultural resistance.”

Mexican food from Texas is a staple of the state’s cuisine. But it’s not Tex-Mex cuisine we’re talking about. A new documentary traces the food and the community of Mexican Texans through the people who are fighting to keep traditions of their ancestors alive. Author and chef Adán Medrano has been working on the project for three years. The resulting film is called “Truly Texas Mexican.” It’s based on a book Medrano published in 2015. He told Texas Standard that both projects seek to share knowledge of comida casera – the homecooking of Mexican families in Texas, to a wider audience.

“Tex-Mex is great. We all love the gooey cheese and the margaritas, but this other, the precursor to Tex-Mex – the Mexican- American families cooking deer, nopalitos, cactus, all of these other recipes – were not widely known,” Medrano said.

Medrano says Mexican-Americans in Texas today can trace their ancestry back to the first people who stepped onto Texas soil. Cooking methods including roasting, steaming and boiling, and the use of animals and plants that were native to the state, have been passed down through the generations.

Social consciousness and sharing are part of the story Medrano wants to tell.

“I’ve always looked at food as a way to gift somebody,” he said. “My mother did it with me, and that’s how I learned what food was. So I learned food is hospitality.”

Read more: https://www.texasstandard.org/stories/new-film-truly-texas-mexican-uncovers-the-roots-of-authentic-mexican-cuisine/

3 replies, 676 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 3 replies Author Time Post
Reply New Film 'Truly Texas Mexican' Uncovers The Roots Of Authentic Mexican Cuisine (Original post)
TexasTowelie Mar 2021 OP
mitch96 Mar 2021 #1
Kali Mar 2021 #2
dem in texas Mar 2021 #3

Response to TexasTowelie (Original post)

Thu Mar 4, 2021, 09:55 AM

1. I love Mexican food. I'm fortunate to have a few restaurants in and around town.

I can buy fresh tortillas which is great when I don't feel like making my own.. I get a lot of ideas from the PBS program "Pati's Mexican Table". The presenter is from Mexico and goes to different parts of the country to sample different foods and cooking methods. Then she goes home to the US and makes the dishes here.. If I find a recipe interesting I go to the restaurants and see if they can make it..Neat stuff...
m

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Thu Mar 4, 2021, 11:54 AM

2. looks interesting

will check out the book too

Reply to this post

Fri Mar 5, 2021, 12:06 AM

3. Yes, Texas Mexican Food is Truly in its own category

I have both of Medrano's cookbooks and look forward to seeing his documentary on the roots of Texas-Mexican cuisine.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread