HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Home & Family » Pets (Group) » Y'know, I don't think I'm...

Mon Oct 26, 2020, 03:33 PM

Y'know, I don't think I'm a "cat person"

I admit that I'm not really fond of having a cat try to crawl onto my lap every time I sit down.

I'll also admit that I called her something not very nice yesterday when she brought in a bird, set it down, and watched it fly across the room. I opened the patio door and it left, and then she acted like I was a mean mom.

12 replies, 930 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread

Response to Rorey (Original post)

Mon Oct 26, 2020, 03:42 PM

1. I'm not an outdoor "cat person" but love them indoors

“We estimate that free-ranging domestic cats kill 1.3–4.0 billion birds and 6.3–22.3 billion mammals annually, and that un-owned cats cause the majority of this mortality.“

[link:https://www.nature.com/articles/ncomms2380|

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Ponietz (Reply #1)

Mon Oct 26, 2020, 03:58 PM

3. Yeah, I don't like that about them at all

If I had chosen to have a cat, I would have chosen to have an indoor cat.

Reply to this post

Response to Rorey (Reply #3)

Mon Oct 26, 2020, 05:02 PM

6. My sweet furbaby

Othello is an indoor cat. He goes out with me, restrained in a cat bag by his harness Me holding the leash. The cat bag is like a backwards backpack.
He rests against my chest or he's in my cat sling harness on,me holding the leash.
All the cats I have had over the years were all indoor cats. Because one of my cats Huzza I had him and his brother when I was in 6th grade. Huzza was murdered by a dog that was off leash that the whole
neighborhood hated.

That horrible dog grabbed my baby by the neck and shook him to death. I was not home when it happened. I went out on my bike every day until I was exhausted looking for him putting up signs,knocking on doors for months.My mom told me years later what happened to him. I was devastated
I really wanted to get a baseball bat and kill that fucking dog.

To this day I miss Huzzah. He was very smart cat. He had copper eyes. He had pink fur, naturally.pink with grey stripes. I should have took him to cat fancy with a coat like that. I wanted to but like most dreams back than too much bullshit got in the way to do it. His breed of pink cat I would have called the pink panther breed.

His brother was a red tabby polydactal. His name was Pobegan.
He was never the same after his brother died.

After Huzza,all my cats were indoor cats.

Reply to this post

Response to I_UndergroundPanther (Reply #6)

Mon Oct 26, 2020, 05:49 PM

9. What interesting looking cats your Huzza and Pobegan must have been

I'm so sorry for what happened to Huzza.

My four cats all stick pretty close to home, but keeping them in the house is something I don't think would ever work. The three "kittens" are feral because the mom hid them for a few months after she had them on my back porch shortly after showing up at my house. I got them all fixed (had to trap the kittens), and kept them in for over a month while they waited for their spay/neuter date and subsequently recovered. They've been here over two years now.

I tried locking them in when I first had the raccoon problem, and they hated it. It really was a nightmare. So they get to come and go. They mostly hang out in my yard and my neighbor's yard. She kind of considers them to be partly hers, and even offered to help pay for their spaying and neutering, which I declined. I really don't worry about dogs getting them because everyone around here seems to be responsible. I do worry about owls. I think the fact that my cats are camoflauged (two torties and two gray striped) helps keep them safe.

Reply to this post

Mon Oct 26, 2020, 03:57 PM

2. I've had that happen. I hope the critters i released went on to thrive. My

cat was pissed for quite a few minutes.

Reply to this post

Response to applegrove (Reply #2)

Mon Oct 26, 2020, 04:03 PM

4. All I could do was hope for the best

I would think this cat would know by now that I'm not going to allow her to bring things in, but I just don't think she and her three offspring are the brightest felines on the planet. One of them still hasn't figured out how to get in through the raccoon-proof entrances. They all know they can go out any time they want, but coming back in is another story. I didn't mind over the summer, but now that it's getting cold, I worry.

Reply to this post

Mon Oct 26, 2020, 04:21 PM

5. How would you feel if your indoor cat caught a rat or mouse in your

home?

Reply to this post

Response to japple (Reply #5)

Mon Oct 26, 2020, 05:06 PM

7. My cat Sparkle

Caught and killed field mice in the fall when they'd try to get into the house. I was glad Sparkle dispatched them quickly once he caught it. Because of him mice never got in my house and if they did they'd be dead in 24 hours or less.

Reply to this post

Response to I_UndergroundPanther (Reply #7)

Mon Oct 26, 2020, 05:15 PM

8. Your Sparkle sounds like a great feline hunter, doing his job. My cats do their jobs, too

They catch the occasional mouse that finds its way inside. One of my cats, Dolly, used to be an outdoor cat until she got beaten up by a stray, so now she is a very unhappy indoor cat. She caught rats, mice, voles, and anything else that was trying to get into the house. She occasionally caught a bird, but she didn't catch nearly as many as the hawks who live on the hill near my house.

Reply to this post

Response to japple (Reply #5)

Mon Oct 26, 2020, 07:35 PM

10. i have only had hostage cats, but all had stockholms. my last male had a wild father + tho declawed

(yeah yeah-they are FINE) stomped a mouse when he was about 1. it was still breathing, but mortally wounded. found another dead mouse. no idea who killed it. his sister when she was a kitten found a mummified mouse when she was a kitten.
my 2nd pair spotted a chippie in the fireplace. had fun chasing it around the living room, but it couldn't jump the step out of the room. the cats helped chase it out the front door. took 15 min. took 3 humans up at family cottage over an hour to get a chippie out.
last four were VERY interested in birds.

and your cat was trying to FEED you! my grandparents cat ALWAYS brought us most of her voles every morning at the cottage. and she would meow until we acknowledged it.

Reply to this post

Response to pansypoo53219 (Reply #10)

Tue Oct 27, 2020, 05:59 AM

11. I live in a very rural area, surrounded by woods. Mice find their way into the house occasionally

and my cats present me with 2 or 3 each year. Two days ago, I caught my calico playing with something weird and discovered a mummified green anole that prob. came in thru the screened in porch! Fortunately we have a few rat snakes that keep most of the rodents under control.

Reply to this post

Response to japple (Reply #11)

Tue Oct 27, 2020, 08:06 PM

12. for a while we did have a mouse problem, but after trapping a few.weird. its an old house.

they can get in.of course THIS summer a month ago we had a BAT fly out from the front windows.WTF! it flew around the livingroom(13ft or so ceiling + big crystal chandalier) + then flew thru the archway tothe middlehall+u-turned. back + forth. tried to let it out, but did not understand doorways. gave up. came out 2nd night + roomie saw it. later i opened up the window + removed the screen + it flew out toot sweet. i did manage to get pics of it on the fancy plaster.

OK! its gone. days later another bat flew out. bad flyer. my cat might have gotten it. she was following the bat room to room. screen taken out again + boop. goodbye. 2 bats released.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread