HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Science » Science (Group) » Fiery 'airburst' of super...

Sat Apr 3, 2021, 03:11 PM

Fiery 'airburst' of superheated gas slammed into Antarctica 430,000 years ago

?s=21

SPACE.com
@SPACEdotcom
Fiery 'airburst' of superheated gas slammed into Antarctica 430,000 years ago http://dlvr.it/Rwx5Jc

Snip:

Roughly 430,000 years ago, an incandescent ball of hot gas came barreling out of the sky and slammed into Antarctica — and now, scientists have found tiny bits of debris formed by that impact.

The team scooped up the mineral particles from Walnumfjellet in the Sør Rondane Mountains of Queen Maud Land, Antarctica, which is located south of Africa on the eastern side of the continent. Antarctica offers the perfect environment to scout for meteorite remnants, due to its dry, frigid climate and minimal human presence, first author Matthias van Ginneken, a geoscientist who specializes in the study of micrometeorites, or extremely tiny meteorites the size of dust particles, told Live Science.

"It was my first Antarctic expedition … and we found this very ideal sampling area on top of a Sør Rondane mountain," said Van Ginneken, who now conducts research at the University of Kent in the United Kingdom, but during the study, held positions with the Free University of Brussels, Vrije Universiteit Brussel and Royal Belgian Institute of Natural Sciences. After gathering sediment from the summit, Van Ginneken scanned the samples with an electron microscope.

"To my great surprise, I found these very weird looking particles that did not look like terrestrial particles ... but they didn't look like micrometeorites either," he said. Unlike micrometeorites, which resemble fine dust, about half of the samples looked like several teeny stones fused together. Some carried tiny flecks of material on their surfaces, while others bore distinct, almost snowflake-like markings, he said.

1 replies, 1069 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 1 replies Author Time Post
Reply Fiery 'airburst' of superheated gas slammed into Antarctica 430,000 years ago (Original post)
soothsayer Apr 2021 OP
Karadeniz Apr 2021 #1

Response to soothsayer (Original post)

Sat Apr 3, 2021, 03:21 PM

1. Gracious! We've been through some catastrophes!

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread