HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Retired » Retired Forums » 2016 Postmortem (Forum) » How did most people here ...

Sat Mar 26, 2016, 10:24 AM

How did most people here react to Hillary voting for that Bankruptcy Bill as a Senator?

Those of you who were here, do you remember? Just curious.

edit: And since people are already selling her excuses, rationalizations, justifications, etc - don't waste your time. I'm sure we've all heard them before and those of us who (for whatever reason) believe Hillary will continue to do so, and those of us who believe otherwise will continue to do so.

Hearing Hillary's excuses again is not what I'm asking this for.

| want to know how the majority of the people posting here reacted at that time. That's what I'm curious about. ('m also curious if any people who were furious then are magically accepting of her rationalizations now that she's THE REAL DEMOCRAT[sup]TM[/sup].)

18 replies, 1886 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 18 replies Author Time Post
Reply How did most people here react to Hillary voting for that Bankruptcy Bill as a Senator? (Original post)
vintx Mar 2016 OP
Motown_Johnny Mar 2016 #1
Sky Masterson Mar 2016 #7
BillZBubb Mar 2016 #2
Onlooker Mar 2016 #3
vintx Mar 2016 #6
Onlooker Mar 2016 #10
vintx Mar 2016 #12
Lizzie Poppet Mar 2016 #17
Motown_Johnny Mar 2016 #9
Onlooker Mar 2016 #13
Motown_Johnny Mar 2016 #15
Onlooker Mar 2016 #16
Octafish Mar 2016 #18
SheenaR Mar 2016 #4
Jenny_92808 Mar 2016 #5
Punkingal Mar 2016 #8
ibegurpard Mar 2016 #11
ThePhilosopher04 Mar 2016 #14

Response to vintx (Original post)

Sat Mar 26, 2016, 10:26 AM

1. I hate it. It shows that she will sell out anyone to increase her own personal power.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Motown_Johnny (Reply #1)

Sat Mar 26, 2016, 10:36 AM

7. Grrrr!!

"She's with them" should be her logo

Reply to this post

Sat Mar 26, 2016, 10:27 AM

2. Don't bring stuff like that up. Hillary has evolved on that issue. She "regrets" that vote. etc. etc

Reply to this post

Sat Mar 26, 2016, 10:30 AM

3. She voted against it

In 2001, when it actually failed, she got in protections for women as a condition for her vote; 10 years later, since it already had in it what she wanted, she was not obliged to vote for it, so she voted against it.

Bernie has voted for many things he didn't like, including Obamacare, but tried his best to get concessions in return for his vote.

That's how our system works.

I suppose we can argue that Sanders is for our bloated defense department because he votes for defense authorization bills or is against single payer because he voted for Obamacare. This issue is an example of political spin by the Sanders campaign. I don't fault them anymore than I fault the Hillary campaign with their spin since, after all, you can fool some of the people some of the time.

Reply to this post

Response to Onlooker (Reply #3)

Sat Mar 26, 2016, 10:34 AM

6. Yeah thanks and all but you're wasting your time. I agree with Senator Warren's take.

That amendment about protection for custodial parents, while beneficial, did not sufficiently change the bill. Hillary's explanations, rationalizations, etc. are not believable at all.

Reply to this post

Response to vintx (Reply #6)

Sat Mar 26, 2016, 10:39 AM

10. Of course, you're taking an anti-Hillary position

You're doing what you're supposed to do as a Bernie supporter. Very good.

Reply to this post

Response to Onlooker (Reply #10)

Response to Onlooker (Reply #10)

Sat Mar 26, 2016, 11:14 AM

17. Bye bye.

Reply to this post

9. You think the First Lady voted on a bill?

She was First Lady in 1995. How the hell did she vote on that bill or get protections in it?

Reply to this post

Response to Motown_Johnny (Reply #9)

Sat Mar 26, 2016, 10:43 AM

13. Had my dates wrong, and edited my post

Reply to this post

Response to Onlooker (Reply #13)

Sat Mar 26, 2016, 11:00 AM

15. I think it sounds like bull shit.

Much like this:

https://shadowproof.com/2015/11/16/hillary-clinton-defends-wall-street-patronage-with-911-mcfeminism/

^snip^

On Saturday, during the second Democratic presidential debate, former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton defended her ties to Wall Street by invoking 9/11 and saying she had a lot of female campaign donors.

Clinton accepted millions of dollars from Wall Street through her campaigns as well as personally through speaking fees. Clinton’s top campaign contributors include JPMorgan and Citigroup and she personally received $400,000 from Goldman Sachs in one week alone for two speeches.

When the debate turned to question of money in politics, Clinton responded to a statement by Senator Bernie Sanders that Wall Street donors give candidates money expecting something in return by claiming that 60% of her donors were women and that Wall Street supported her due to her official assistance in the rebuilding of the financial district in Manhattan after the 9/11 terrorist attacks.

If you find that to be an inappropriate response to concerns about campaign finance, you aren’t alone.

Reply to this post

Response to Motown_Johnny (Reply #15)

Sat Mar 26, 2016, 11:07 AM

16. I think she is more pro-Wall Street than Bernie

After all, she was a Senator from New York, not from Vermont. In Vermont, you have to be pro-gun (which Bernie was), pro-stealth bomber (which Bernie was), but not much else on the right. In New York, it's more complicated. You have to have some sympathy for Wall Street, as well as be active and visible on issues relevant to minorities (that's why she has so much support among people of color and gays). New York never has true left political leaders at the state level because New York is an extraordinarily diverse state, unlike Vermont, which is basically white and middle class. You can't be pure as the driven snow if you're from New York. Read about FDR, who Bernie is often compared to, if you want proof of that.

Reply to this post

Sat Mar 26, 2016, 11:16 AM

18. Then she voted for it.

Elizabeth Warren describes briefing First Lady Hillary Clinton about a bankruptcy bill that would hurt single mothers and children:

The Cement Life Raft - Prof. Elizabeth Warren briefs First Lady Clinton on Bankruptcy Bill

In this excerpt from Warren and Tyagi's 2003 book The Two Income Trap: Why Middle-Class Mothers and Fathers Are Going Broke, the authors lay out their arguments against the "predatory" lending practices of the mortgage and credit card industries and their effect on American families. The authors maintain that re-regulation of consumer lending is needed to level the playing field between creditors and families and reverse a disturbing trend: the transfer of wealth away from lower- and middle-income families, "directly into the pockets of giant lenders and their shareholders." Read Elizabeth Warren's interview with FRONTLINE elsewhere on this site.

EXCERPT...

Mrs. Clinton's newfound opposition to the bankruptcy bill surprised me. Given her legal training and her devotion to women's causes, I had certainly expected her to grasp the importance of the issue. But President Clinton's staff had been quietly supporting the bankruptcy bill for several months. Bill Clinton wanted to show that he and other "New Democrats" could play ball with business interests, and the major banks were lobbying hard for changes in the bankruptcy laws. I had expected that it would take a lot more than thirty minutes to convince Hillary Clinton to depart from the position widely rumored to be supported by her husband.

But Mrs. Clinton stayed firm in her fight against "that awful bill." She was convinced that the bill was "unfair to women and children," and she intended to stand by her principles, even if it cost some Democratic party candidates campaign contributions. Over the ensuing months, she was true to her word. With her strong support, the Democrats slowed the bill's passage through Congress. When Congress finally passed the bill in October 2000, President Clinton vetoed it. The following summer, an aide explained to me the abrupt about-face: "A couple of days after Mrs. Clinton met with you, we changed sides (on the bankruptcy bill) so fast that you could see skid marks in the hallways of the White House." Thanks to Mrs. Clinton, families still had one financial refuge left -- at least for the moment.

But the story doesn't end there. The banking lobbyists were persistent. President Clinton was on his way out, and credit card giant MBNA emerged as the single biggest contributors to President Bush's campaign. In the spring of 2001, the bankruptcy bill was reintroduced in the Senate, essentially unchanged from the version President Clinton had vetoed the previous year.

This time freshman Senator Hillary Clinton voted in favor of the bill.

Had the bill been transformed to get rid of all those awful provisions that had so concerned First Lady Hillary Clinton? No. The bill was essentially the same, but Hillary Rodham Clinton was not. As First Lady, Mrs. Clinton had been persuaded that the bill was bad for families, and she was willing to fight for her beliefs. Her husband was a lame duck at the time he vetoed the bill; he could afford to forgo future campaign contributions. As New York's newest senator, however, it seems that Hillary Clinton could not afford such a principled position. Campaigns cost money, and that money wasn't coming from families in financial trouble. Senator Clinton received $140,000 in campaign contributions from banking industry executives in a single year, making her one of the top two recipients in the Senate. Big banks were now part of Senator Clinton's constituency. She wanted their support, and they wanted hers -- including a vote in favor of "that awful bill."

CONTINUED...

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/credit/more/cement.html

Money. That's how the System's greased.

Reply to this post

Sat Mar 26, 2016, 10:31 AM

4. Oh yes... The "awful" bill she suddenly found adequate

Mrs. Clinton, Ms. Warren later recalled, asked to meet with her. Sitting down for a lunch of a hamburger and French fries after giving a speech in Boston, Mrs. Clinton peppered Ms. Warren with questions about bankruptcy law. “She said, ‘Professor Warren, we’ve got to stop that awful bill,’ ” Ms. Warren said in a 2004 interview with Bill Moyers.

Mrs. Clinton took a strong interest in the fate of the bankruptcy legislation, and President Bill Clinton vetoed it in late 2000. But its supporters pressed on, and in 2001, as a senator from New York, Mrs. Clinton was among 83 senators who voted in favor of overhauling the bankruptcy system, a group that included 36 Democrats.

“Had the bill been transformed to get rid of all those awful provisions that had so concerned First Lady Hillary Clinton? No,” Ms. Warren wrote. “The bill was essentially the same, but Hillary Rodham Clinton was not.”

She wrote that as first lady, Mrs. Clinton had been “willing to fight for her beliefs.”

“As New York’s newest senator, however, it seems that Hillary Clinton could not afford such a principled position,” Ms. Warren added.

“Campaigns cost money, and that money wasn’t coming from families in financial trouble.”

Ms. Warren later cited Mrs. Clinton’s campaign fund-raising from the banking industry as a factor in her vote. Mrs. Clinton represented Wall Street as a senator, but as she made the case for the legislation, she talked about small credit unions around New York whose members suffered, she said, when the credit union had to cover bankruptcy losses.

Though the Senate passed the legislation in 2001, it did not become law. Congress eventually agreed on an overhaul in 2005; Mrs. Clinton was absent for that vote but expressed disapproval of the legislation. As a House member, Mr. Sanders voted no on that chamber’s version of the bill in 2001, and he also voted no on the 2005 bill.

But Charles J. Tabb, a law professor at the University of Illinois who opposed the legislation, said Mrs. Clinton’s vote “shows the power of the consumer credit industry and our campaign finance world.”

“She did a 180 once she became senator,” he said. “It was galling.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/02/07/us/politics/the-vote-for-bankruptcy-reform-that-haunts-hillary-clinton.html?_r=0

Reply to this post

Sat Mar 26, 2016, 10:31 AM

5. It shows that Hillary

will sell us out in her quest for more power.

Bernie didn't do that and wouldn't do that. Go Bernie!

Reply to this post

8. I was pissed about that bill, and her vote.

I do remember it.

Reply to this post

Sat Mar 26, 2016, 10:42 AM

11. Solidified my impressions

That her policy stances would be no different than her husband's ...which is why I opposed her in 1998. Unfortunately the blank slate candidate was no different either.

Reply to this post

Sat Mar 26, 2016, 10:53 AM

14. Time and time again, she takes the side that

benefits corporations and banks and shits on the American people. Her record tells the story of who she is and what she stands for.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread