HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Retired » Retired Forums » Democratic Primaries (Forum) » Joe Biden suddenly has a ...
Joe BidenCongratulations to our presumptive Democratic nominee, Joe Biden!

Tue May 7, 2019, 09:31 AM

Joe Biden suddenly has a problem - and it's not what you think

"The last four major national polls show that Joe Biden is pulling ahead in the 2020 Democratic primary race by a huge margin. Biden isnít just in first place in every poll; heís about three times as popular as any other candidate. Itís a long race, there are a lot of strong candidates, and a lot of things will change. But at the moment, Biden is the overwhelming frontrunner Ė and thatís not a place you necessarily want to be this early on. All you have to do is look back at the 2016 race to understand why. Here are the indisputable facts about the 2016 Democratic primary race, whether anyone wants them to be true or not: Hillary Clinton was ahead by fifteen to twenty points nationally the entire time. It was a blowout. If you were under some other impression, you can go look up the numbers yourself. At no point was it a remotely close or competitive primary race. But this kind of blowout made for terrible ratings, so the mainstream media Ė particularly cable news Ė did what they always do in these situations.

The media largely only quoted isolated state polls where Clinton was doing the worst, while ignoring the national polls that showed the race was a blowout in her favor. The media never acknowledged that Clinton was the dominant frontrunner. Half the time, the media pretended that Bernie Sanders was ahead in the race, when he was getting blown out the entire time. They never once acknowledged that Clinton had pulled ahead by millions of votes, and instead spent the entire time pretending that Clinton was only ahead due to superdelegates, even though superdelegates played literally zero mathematical role in determining the nominee.
It got worse. The media massively overstated Clintonís scandals, making her look like she was finished, and at times creating the false appearance that she might even be indicted for imaginary crimes. The media got the ratings it needed by pretending the 2016 primary was a close race, and by falsely scandalizing the dominant frontrunner. In the process, the media created such a stench of fiction around the primary race, no wonder Sanders supporters were surprised and confused when he ended up losing Ė even though he lost by a popular vote blowout margin that anyone could have predicted if theyíd been looking at the actual numbers, instead of the numbers on their television.

With so many Democratic candidates in the 2020 race, there was supposed to be so much legitimate competition, and thus so many ratings-friendly narratives to grab onto, the media wouldnít need to resort to fictional reporting in order to manufacture ratings this time around. That level of close competition may yet still happen. Itís very early, and a number of these candidates have an opportunity to significantly climb in the polls as they pound the pavement and gradually raise their national profiles.

But if Joe Biden keeps climbing in the polls in the coming weeks, and he becomes too dominant of a frontrunner, you can bet your last dollar that the media will to do Biden during the 2020 Democratic primary what it did to Hillary Clinton during the 2016 Democratic primary. The widespread fictional coverage of the 2016 primary ended up having a negative impact on everyone involved, and itís the unspoken main reason that Donald Trump is in the White House. If the media pulls the same crap against Biden that it pulled against Hillary, the entire Democratic Party will be in trouble in 2020."

Read More: https://www.palmerreport.com/analysis/joe-biden-problem-not-think/17807/

If I were to vote in a presidential
primary today, I would vote for:
Undecided

12 replies, 1539 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 12 replies Author Time Post
Reply Joe Biden suddenly has a problem - and it's not what you think (Original post)
Vidal May 2019 OP
MrsCoffee May 2019 #1
DownriverDem May 2019 #2
comradebillyboy May 2019 #10
WeekiWater May 2019 #3
uawchild May 2019 #4
saidsimplesimon May 2019 #9
R B Garr May 2019 #11
Demsrule86 May 2019 #5
Skya Rhen May 2019 #6
C_U_L8R May 2019 #7
walkingman May 2019 #8
msongs May 2019 #12

Response to Vidal (Original post)

Tue May 7, 2019, 09:32 AM

1. Lol.

And double lol at the source.

I donít believe for a minute that the media will treat Biden anything like they did Hillary. In fact, I think how they treat him will be the exact opposite of Hillary. I think they will embrace him and shine a glaring light on just how fucked up 2016 really was. Everything she was up against was mired in misogyny.

Joe Biden

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Tue May 7, 2019, 09:34 AM

2. Guess who is moving towards Biden

Those 55 and up. Looks like they too have come to their senses.
Joe Biden

Reply to this post

Response to DownriverDem (Reply #2)

Tue May 7, 2019, 11:05 AM

10. A lot of the movement to Biden is from the 'Anybody But Sanders' folks.

I'm in the ABS camp but I'm not ready to jump on the Biden bandwagon just yet.
Joe Biden

Reply to this post

Tue May 7, 2019, 09:35 AM

3. I believe the overall thought put forward is correct.

The media greatly benefits from a horse race and as can be seen from our last Presidential primary they can be the leading element in creating one. They can manufacture the horse race and will do there best to make it happen.
Joe Biden

Reply to this post

Tue May 7, 2019, 09:43 AM

4. Has the media created the Biden "surge'? 538 makes the case

Cable News Is Covering Biden As Much As Every Other Democratic Candidate Combined

In the first full week of his 2020 campaign, former Vice President Joe Biden continued to dominate cable news coverage on CNN, Fox News and MSNBC. According to data from the TV News Archive, which chops up TV news into 15-second clips that we access using the GDELT Projectís Television API,1 Biden was mentioned in more clips that any other candidate across the three networks last week, and he was mentioned almost four times as often as Sen. Bernie Sanders, who had been getting the most coverage of any 2020 candidate before Biden joined the race. For the second consecutive week, Biden, who has also been well ahead in polling and endorsements, was mentioned in about as many clips as all the other candidates combined.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/cable-news-is-covering-biden-as-much-as-every-other-democratic-candidate-combined/
Undecided

Reply to this post

Response to uawchild (Reply #4)

Tue May 7, 2019, 10:15 AM

9. Thank you uawchild and Nat Silver

Undecided

Reply to this post

Response to uawchild (Reply #4)

Tue May 7, 2019, 12:01 PM

11. This is laughable. The media was busy tearing Biden down

for not announcing sooner. Daily/hourly roundtables discussing the hidden meanings of him not joining the race sooner. He was still polling higher than anyone when they were tearing him down. Yet, his campaign announcement only increased the support for him.

Maybe itís time to accept the facts that people are excited about Biden. He is a known and liked politician, a solid and loyal Democrat.
Joe Biden

Reply to this post

Tue May 7, 2019, 09:44 AM

5. I would rather be Biden than Sanders or the others.

Joe Biden

Reply to this post

Response to Demsrule86 (Reply #5)

Tue May 7, 2019, 09:48 AM

6. So would I...

Joe Biden

Reply to this post

Tue May 7, 2019, 09:48 AM

7. Winning too much? Please.

Joe Biden

Reply to this post

Tue May 7, 2019, 10:00 AM

8. I'd like to hear what his platform is - so far I've heard very little from him.

Joe Biden

Reply to this post

Tue May 7, 2019, 01:55 PM

12. palmer report lololol says dems shouldnt run because repubs might get sad nt

Joe Biden

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread