HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Retired » Retired Forums » Democratic Primaries (Forum) » Mike Gravel, 2020's oddes...
Joe BidenCongratulations to our presumptive Democratic nominee, Joe Biden!

Mon May 27, 2019, 10:44 PM

Mike Gravel, 2020's oddest Democratic presidential candidate, explained

Vox

Former Alaska senator Mike Gravel is running for president. Seriously.

Gravel isnít holding campaign events. He hasnít stepped foot in Iowa or New Hampshire. In fact, until a couple teenagers called him in March and urged him to run for president again, he was just an 80-something former Democratic senator and 2008 presidential candidate quietly fading from the publicís memory. Now Gravel is the subject, if not exactly the author, of the 2020 presidential electionís oddest campaign.

The former senator is a legend of the anti-war movement, having fought to end the Vietnam War draft and taken the perilous step of entering the leaked Pentagon Papers into the official congressional record. He made a big splash in 2008, his last serious foray into politics, by hammering the other Democratic candidates for being too closely allied with the military industrial complex. This was and is a serious guy.

But that doesnít change the fact that it was two teenagers who convinced Gravel to enter the 2020 race and that the same teens are effectively managing his campaign by running his Twitter account. The most bizarre part of all of this is that Gravel could actually secure enough donors to technically qualify for the Democratic Partyís primary debates that begin next month. For a campaign that sounds a little like performance art, that would be quite an accomplishment.

Gravel is a credible voice for the anti-war left and, during a primary largely defined by how little interest the competing candidates have shown in criticizing one another, his unusual campaign has been happy to take shots at other Democrats. It can only help to have online-savvy youngsters turning his anti-establishment message into Twitter-friendly Marie Kondo memes.
If I were to vote in a presidential
primary today, I would vote for:
Joe Biden

3 replies, 693 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 3 replies Author Time Post
Reply Mike Gravel, 2020's oddest Democratic presidential candidate, explained (Original post)
brooklynite May 2019 OP
PatrickforO May 2019 #1
dalton99a May 2019 #2
Funtatlaguy May 2019 #3

Response to brooklynite (Original post)

Mon May 27, 2019, 11:08 PM

1. Gravel seems to be taking the role of court jester...

saying things that make many of us feel uncomfortable. That's not an entirely bad thing.
Joe Biden
This is the DU member formerly known as PatrickforO.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Mon May 27, 2019, 11:31 PM

2. Kick

Joe Biden

Reply to this post

Mon May 27, 2019, 11:58 PM

3. Gravel just want to make "rocky" the path of others.

Joe Biden

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread